Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Old 07-28-2005, 04:04 AM   #1
frodefe
Regular User

Default please enlighten me....

Hi,

Being a Porsche nut, I've got more than enough trying to keep my self updated on both historic and new models
from Stuttgart. That said I always had a soft spot for two different Ferrari's - the 246 Dino and the 512BB

I've just browsed through the Ferrari picture gallery, and are left somewhat puzzled? Two cars seems (for an untrained eye)
to be nearly identical; what's the difference between the 365BB and the 512BB???
Old 07-28-2005, 04:27 AM   #2
pharzo
Regular User

good eye man

essentially the same car, the 512BB being more modern. here's a little blurb

The 365 was updated as the 512BB in 1976. The engine was larger at 4942 cc, but power was off to 360 hp. Dry sump lubrication was used for a lower center of gravity. External differentiators included a new front spoiler, wider rear tires, added side air vents ducting air to the brakes, and four tail lights (rather than six). 929 512BBs were produced.

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
irrational_i
Regular User

Well as above the 365 followed the old numbering of each cylinder's capacity.

The 365GT4 2+2 became the "400" series later, but looks the same.
The 365GT4 BB was the boxer that became the 512BB (5 liter 12 cylinder) and later the 512BBi.
The original 365 boxers had 6 exhausts! 3 per side. These where probably the fastest boxers with the best power-weight ratio.

The 512BB is the slowest but probably the best one to drive. Ferrari also lowered the engine a little on this and gave dry-sump lubrication to give better handling.
The BBi gained power with fuel injection, but was heavier. The 512's also gained rear-brake cooling ducts. All models could be dual colour.
Some early cars could be found with white indicator covers instead of orange.

As the market would have it the earlier 365 BB's are cheaper than the later 512's.
In fact I think the boxers are cheaper than Dino's. Roughly speaking about $80000-$110000 for a dino and $70000-$100000 for a boxer. What would you rather have? A small, good-handling 2.4 V6 or a seriously fast 12 cylinder Ferrari? 8)
I'd like the 12 myself.
irrational_i is offline   Reply With Quote