Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #61
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Ok, our FSE stopped by for awhile today and it turns out that at the last minute BMW has decided against the twinturbo setup for the E90 Instead they will bump up the displacment to 3.5 and 3.0 liter, which will end up rendering the x25 a thing of the past.

In 2007 the 2.0 inline 4 twinturbo diesel engine will be in the US however. Laying down 220+ HP and 416 ft-lbs torque. Coming with the diesel will be the E87 1 series, however it will only be availible as a sedan. BMW won't be bringing the hatch version over here for some reason. Also look for the 635 and 630 to be availible.

Our first E61 arrived today. A gunmetal 530xi. The wagons will be availible in 2 or 4 wheel drive for the inline 6 engines but the 550 touring will only be availible in 2 wheel drive.

I will update te designations portion of the thread a bit later to include the E61 5 series touring.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #62
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Ok, our FSE stopped by for awhile today and it turns out that at the last minute BMW has decided against the twinturbo setup for the E90 Instead they will bump up the displacment to 3.5 and 3.0 liter, which will end up rendering the x25 a thing of the past.
I think its they decided not to go for the TT engines, NA is the best for me, specially the ones from BMW, they dont need turbos to make nice engines
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:30 PM   #63
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmagni
I think its they decided not to go for the TT engines, NA is the best for me, specially the ones from BMW, they dont need turbos to make nice engines
yeah, but i kind of was looking forward to seeing what they could have done with it

Old 07-07-2005, 09:39 PM   #64
T-Bird
Regular User

ok this might be kind of tough but what kind of car is this BMW? specific model.
I will take better pics of it when I go back to school this is actually infront of our old shop the thing is the whole car is in German, it was brought over here from Europe and then donated to us because to fix the tranny would cost over 5 grand and the car is barely worht that. All they were told is that it was a series not offered here.

T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:57 PM   #65
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i assume you are referring to the black E32 7 series sitting next to the POS striped out early 90's Cavilier? It could be an engine that wasn't offered here though.

Grab me some engine bay shots and the last 7 of the VIN and i will do a little digging for you

Old 07-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #66
T-Bird
Regular User

yeah the engine is just an inline 6
Old 07-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #67
ZfrkS62
Regular User

they did have the inline 6 in the E32 though. So unless it is a 740 (3.5L Turbo, RARE) i think thy may be a little off in their info about it being unavailible in the US

In which case i will consider buying it from your school

Old 07-07-2005, 10:48 PM   #68
T-Bird
Regular User

well the car actually isn't allowed to be sold since the school is non-profit the money would have to be a donation of some sort, just like the barely used A6 that isn't allowed for road use.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #69
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
^^^ Interestingly enough, your (US) E90's have yellow indicator lights on the headlamps, whereas the European ones are clear.
I have a feeling that will be an option sooner or later. The E46 had amber corner markers at first as well, but i think the coupe got clear markers.

@ saddie- no problem 8)
Originally Posted by bmwdakias
I have spoted that probably all BMWs in the US dont have totally clear indicator markers, a quick check on the US website will confirm that.Its not that they are completely orange but their edges are not clear.Is there a law or sth requiring this? In a way it has a small negative effect on the looks and i dont see a reason unless its due to law restrictions.
US Regulation states that there must be an Amber reflector of some sorts in the front area, so cars coming from the side could see you. This is the same with the rear end, where it is a Red reflector.

It could be either in the front corner signal lamps or the taillamps. But it must be there. If you look at the current E46s, they have clear corner lamps but they still have a bumper reflector. Same as the E85 Z4, there are these circular reflectors on the front and rear bumpers. Before this year they had the Amber reflector inside the turn signal so this was not needed. But this year they started making the entire front end all clear.

Now if the taillights or headlights wrap around to the side then it could be within the housings, if not then you have to have a reflector.

And I think the blinkers must be Amber/Yellow no matter what.

I think starting with the E39 and later, all sport models had clear lamps and all regular non-sport had fully amber turn signals.

Did I make myself clear?
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:34 AM   #70
bmwdakias
Regular User

Thanks for the info, it was quite logical to have sth to do with a law but it is always better to have a written confirmation.
bmwdakias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:04 PM   #71
ZfrkS62
Regular User

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/e39_m5.htm

Scroll down to find the screensavers, desktops and pics also has Z8, E60 M5 and more. just hunt around

The screensaver is in German, but the images are great

Old 08-30-2005, 10:40 PM   #72
ae86_16v
Regular User

Hey Z, anything new about the E90 ZPP?
Old 08-30-2005, 10:48 PM   #73
ZfrkS62
Regular User

In production in September

Other than that i would have to do a little sniffing around the sales dept. (as reliable as that may not be :roll: )

Old 08-30-2005, 11:11 PM   #74
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ New rims? New aero bumpers?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:12 PM   #75
ZfrkS62
Regular User

dont' they always?