Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

View Poll Results: Is retro-design good for Ferrari?
Yes, it's good to show design roots and origin sometimes 0 0%
Maybe sometimes, but it shouldnt over the fresh,new look 0 0%
Retro is shit-Ferrari is not for gaffers! 0 0%
511 100.00%
Voters: 511. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2005, 12:38 PM   #16
ikon2003
Regular User

in general, no i do not like car designs going retro. i don't like the way the ford gt or the mustang gt looks, mostly because they look "old." i don't have a problem with companies being inspired by tradition, and including certain design elements that are reminiscent of their older designs, but not the entire car's exterior.

some examples of good use of traditional design, yet progressive aesthetics:
-rolls royce phantom - totally original rolls, yet you instantly know it's a rolls due to the traditional proportions (height 2x wheel size, frame/cabin proportion etc)
-Bugatti Veyron and EB110: both pay homage to old designs by including the signature "arch" shaped grille on the front, yet radically different overall from old cars.
-new Audi's - started with the Rossa Concept, then the Nuvolari, and now production models, Audi is also reflecting older designs w/out totally relying on retro styling.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #17
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by m3mys3lf4ndi
u gotta know where u from to know where u goin
I think this is the whole point.... to keep and sustain the heritage you've got to maintain the history....

BMW's have to progress and so there shape's have change, but stuff like the radiator grill and side grill's on the M3 etc are all design cues from the past....
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:37 PM   #18
Fleischmann
Regular User

Hmm...allthough the current Ferrari designs are nice I definatelly miss the 355 and the Testarossa looks. Those were phenomenal and it's gone a bit downhill
Old 01-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #19
Sydbom
Regular User

i would also agree on it beeing bad.
BUT i would like to see remakes out of some old cars instead, like the testarossa but with modern engine and brakes and so on. THAT would be amazing.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:33 PM   #20
crasherror
Regular User

heritage with no future is just history. Ferrari needs to show the world its fabulous design heritage.

Keeping this in mind I think ferrari should make an entry level car. The F430 is almost $200k. Not very entry level. I was thinking $75k for a Dino. Take the F430's V8 an knock 2 cylinders off and make it have about 370 hp. It could take on the Porsche 911 and aston Martin AMV8. Just a thought. I would much rather have a Dino in stead of a Maserati coupe.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #21
szumszer
Regular User

355 and 512 tr were definitely my favorites, but the new 430 ain't so bad, especially since it has massive performance, what i would personally love is a new modern design based on ferrari 166 mm, that was one sweet ride
szumszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #22
adamwich
Regular User

I think it is okay that Ferrari get inspiration for their new cars, from some of the most beautiful automobiles in the world.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:01 AM   #23
ikon2003
Regular User

Originally Posted by crasherror
heritage with no future is just history. Ferrari needs to show the world its fabulous design heritage.

Keeping this in mind I think ferrari should make an entry level car. The F430 is almost $200k. Not very entry level. I was thinking $75k for a Dino. Take the F430's V8 an knock 2 cylinders off and make it have about 370 hp. It could take on the Porsche 911 and aston Martin AMV8. Just a thought. I would much rather have a Dino in stead of a Maserati coupe.
Just MO but i don't imagine ferraris in the current market as sub 100K cars. they have far too a utopian ideal going on right now with their new models and all their F1 success to warrent a "budget" ferrari.

It would be cool if they could make one for around 100k, but i don't know how the market would respond to that. plus they're so busy w/ other designs.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:18 AM   #24
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

i would love to see the return of ferrari retro styling, but id like to see a recreation of the dino, to take the fight to the porche 911 turbo directly.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:33 AM   #25
dons5
Regular User

yes id liek to see that too, but at the same tim in the end I would not want that to happen, Ferrari isnt about 75K dollar cars especially nowadays. They should never use the Dino name again because that car was for Enzo's son who passed away sadly. They shouldnt use that name for another small Ferrari just for advertising reasons.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:09 AM   #26
mike_sayer
Regular User

Ferrari aren't about "entry-level" cars, they about some of the best designed supercars in the world. dons5 is right, when you think of Ferrari you think of a car that's going to cost more than 100k because they are made to the highest quality. Ferraris have to be expensive to be so good - carbon fibre, e-diffs and 5000 wind tunnel hours do not come cheap. Any "entry level" car made by Ferrari would have to have compromises do make it cheaper, and I don't think Ferrari do compromises any more.

On my walk to college every morning I walk past an absolutely immaculate Dino GT. Any car based on it would have to be very, very special - and that would make it expensive.

mike_sayer is offline   Reply With Quote