Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 09:36 PM   #31
Toronto
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,252
Default

4-wheel-drive?
i thought they said they didn't need it?
__________________
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #32
5vz-fe
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,167
Default

Originally Posted by godspeed06
Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Originally Posted by godspeed06
i am surprised with the large increase in hp and torque... thats great. but it still has the engine ass backwards, has four-wheel drive, and is a PIG... im sorry, but 3400 pounds is A LOT. you may point out that lamborghinis/ whatever are heavier, but that doesnt change the fact that its still HEAVY. youre simply naming more HEAVY cars....
I could understand the weight, but now u are trashing the rear engine and 4WD? Porsche has perfected the rear engine layout, just look at the Nurb. times. The 911 TT as said in the article are not meant to be road version race cars, GT2, GT3 will take care of that end of the deal.
first of all, porsche hasnt perfected anything. thats just ignorant. they may make a competitive sportscar with a retarded design which they have brilliantly made comparable to better overall designs, but they certainly havent perfected anything.
I think you should read what you just typed

second of all, the nurb ring times are beat by a daily driver which costs 60k less...
Not all ppl who wants a reliable car should buy a Carmy. Some ppl might afford to sacrifice a ted reliability for looks, luxury....etc. Same goes for Vette vs Porsche. There's no doubt about the bang for the buck about corvette, but a 911 is unique the way it is.....the sound of a flat 6, the characteristic of a rear engine setup, its brakes, its looks..... 60k is just ur value in things, I am sure alot of ppl think 60k for all that is well worthed...


third of all, youre paying a LOT of money for a SPORTSCAR which isnt meant to be "race[d]"... what are u supposed to do with it then, sit around and circle jerk in the office with all your other porsche owning buddies?
I think the term u are looking for is sports GT.
__________________
5vz-fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:56 PM   #33
RC45
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,413
Default

Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by coloradosilver
Originally Posted by gangajas
I'm starting to hate the fucking Corvette.
A mindless reponse.
You need to stop comparing the Corvette against everything. It's ridiculous :roll: :roll:
OK - then what would YOU compare to the 997 911 TT?

Let's hear it?
Why do you have to compare it against any car? I'm sure that 997TT buyers won't have the necessity of comparing their car against everything, an obssesion that some Corvette owners seem to have. :roll: :roll:
Probably one of 2 or 3 of the most foolish comments ever posted on JW.

WHy do you compare it against any car???

Uhm - because that's what you do to evaluate and determine how good something is.

Compare it.

That is the basis for ALL motorsports.

Compare 2 or more cars/drivers and see which/who is best.

It has sweet fucking blowall to do with "Corvettes" to compare cars. It is also the basis for any car test "How well does it do ---- vs the competition".

So again - against which car would best compare the 997 911 TT?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:35 AM   #34
godspeed06
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 438
Default

sweet fucking blowall
haha, ive never heard that before, but i must say that i kind of like it.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:29 AM   #35
gangajas
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Spanish Castle Magic
Posts: 1,452
Default

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by coloradosilver
Originally Posted by gangajas
I'm starting to hate the fucking Corvette.
A mindless reponse.
You need to stop comparing the Corvette against everything. It's ridiculous :roll: :roll:
OK - then what would YOU compare to the 997 911 TT?

Let's hear it?
Why do you have to compare it against any car? I'm sure that 997TT buyers won't have the necessity of comparing their car against everything, an obssesion that some Corvette owners seem to have. :roll: :roll:
Probably one of 2 or 3 of the most foolish comments ever posted on JW.

WHy do you compare it against any car???

Uhm - because that's what you do to evaluate and determine how good something is.

Compare it.

That is the basis for ALL motorsports.

Compare 2 or more cars/drivers and see which/who is best.

It has sweet fucking blowall to do with "Corvettes" to compare cars. It is also the basis for any car test "How well does it do ---- vs the competition".

So again - against which car would best compare the 997 911 TT?
Against a car like the Gallardo MY '06 altough is not the same thing.

The Z06 has a plastic bodywork, plastic interior, its unrefined power only goes through the rear wheels so it would be left to dead by a TT or a Gallardo in a winding road. Its owner is going to be much happier than guys like you, who has an obssesion with his car and is not happy if he doesn't compare his car against everything (something that it is pathetic, believe me). Oh, and obviously he doesn't mind if the Porsche costs 2 or 3 times most than a Corvette, because he wastes his money in whatever he wants.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:07 AM   #36
coloradosilver
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rocky Mountains, Colorado
Posts: 995
Default

Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by coloradosilver
Originally Posted by gangajas
I'm starting to hate the fucking Corvette.
A mindless reponse.
You need to stop comparing the Corvette against everything. It's ridiculous :roll: :roll:
OK - then what would YOU compare to the 997 911 TT?

Let's hear it?
Why do you have to compare it against any car? I'm sure that 997TT buyers won't have the necessity of comparing their car against everything, an obssesion that some Corvette owners seem to have. :roll: :roll:
Probably one of 2 or 3 of the most foolish comments ever posted on JW.

WHy do you compare it against any car???

Uhm - because that's what you do to evaluate and determine how good something is.

Compare it.

That is the basis for ALL motorsports.

Compare 2 or more cars/drivers and see which/who is best.

It has sweet fucking blowall to do with "Corvettes" to compare cars. It is also the basis for any car test "How well does it do ---- vs the competition".

So again - against which car would best compare the 997 911 TT?
Against a car like the Gallardo MY '06 altough is not the same thing.

The Z06 has a plastic bodywork, plastic interior, its unrefined power only goes through the rear wheels so it would be left to dead by a TT or a Gallardo in a winding road. Its owner is going to be much happier than guys like you, who has an obssesion with his car and is not happy if he doesn't compare his car against everything (something that it is pathetic, believe me). Oh, and obviously he doesn't mind if the Porsche costs 2 or 3 times most than a Corvette, because he wastes his money in whatever he wants.
Thats funny, there was a vid here a few weeks ago of a bone stock Z06 beating a modded Gallardo. So that argument goes right out the window because that comparo has been made, and the Z won.

Next, the body of a Z06 is not plastic, it's fiberglass and carbon fiber. Do your research and then post.

You yourself say that the owner of the porsche doesn't care about the additional cost because he has money to waste. Thats the point of the argument here, the porsche is a waste of money, just like you have said yourself.

Any other pointless unfounded and unresearched arguments you care to make?
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:59 AM   #37
gangajas
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Spanish Castle Magic
Posts: 1,452
Default

Originally Posted by coloradosilver
Thats the point of the argument here, the porsche is a waste of money, just like you have said yourself.
You haven't understood anything..... :roll: :roll:

It's always the same with some Corvette owners or fans. :roll:

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
they just pay for that extra. Poser? yes... may be

I think it is just that they love those cars. Why would they have to buy a Corvette instead of their favourite car?
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #38
RC45
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,413
Default

Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by coloradosilver
Thats the point of the argument here, the porsche is a waste of money, just like you have said yourself.
You haven't understood anything..... :roll: :roll:

It's always the same with some Corvette owners or fans. :roll:

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
they just pay for that extra. Poser? yes... may be

I think it is just that they love those cars. Why would they have to buy a Corvette instead of their favourite car?
Again you totally miss the point..

Yousay the only car to compare to the 997 911TT is the Gallardo...??? Funny - Porsche don't think so...

SO again - what other cars would youthink are valid comparisons to the 997TT??

And what would you say are good comparison points?

Speed, price, braking, slalom, track, racing history, racing wins, price, weight, size, acceleration?

And remember - no Corvette comparisons allowed :roll: -- but please enlighten us and indicate what other cars are fair coparison to the 997TT?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #39
godspeed06
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 438
Default

Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by coloradosilver
Originally Posted by gangajas
I'm starting to hate the fucking Corvette.
A mindless reponse.
You need to stop comparing the Corvette against everything. It's ridiculous :roll: :roll:
OK - then what would YOU compare to the 997 911 TT?

Let's hear it?
Why do you have to compare it against any car? I'm sure that 997TT buyers won't have the necessity of comparing their car against everything, an obssesion that some Corvette owners seem to have. :roll: :roll:
Probably one of 2 or 3 of the most foolish comments ever posted on JW.

WHy do you compare it against any car???

Uhm - because that's what you do to evaluate and determine how good something is.

Compare it.

That is the basis for ALL motorsports.

Compare 2 or more cars/drivers and see which/who is best.

It has sweet fucking blowall to do with "Corvettes" to compare cars. It is also the basis for any car test "How well does it do ---- vs the competition".

So again - against which car would best compare the 997 911 TT?
Against a car like the Gallardo MY '06 altough is not the same thing.

The Z06 has a plastic bodywork, plastic interior, its unrefined power only goes through the rear wheels so it would be left to dead by a TT or a Gallardo in a winding road. Its owner is going to be much happier than guys like you, who has an obssesion with his car and is not happy if he doesn't compare his car against everything (something that it is pathetic, believe me). Oh, and obviously he doesn't mind if the Porsche costs 2 or 3 times most than a Corvette, because he wastes his money in whatever he wants.
this is such a ridiculous post i dont even know where to start...

1) plastic bodywork- ummm no. plastic interior - yes, parts, but the porsche also has plastic pieces - if you want to argue over the "luxury" of certain plastics, led me know so i can just ignore such a retarded discussion

2) unrefined - you seriously just called an engine as advanced, most likely extremely reliable, and powerful as the LS7 "unrefined"... what is this based on... the stereotypes of it being a chevy, push-rod, big thunking american v8? bc those have all been defeated many times on these boards.

3) power goes to the rear wheels so it will be left in the dust - are u actually trying to say that bc a car doesnt have four wheel drive it therefore cant handle and will be left by others in the twisties??? thats just flat out so stupid i dont even need to respond to it.

4) gallardo owners are happier - thats pretty subjective dont you think? im sure many corvette owners are just as happy...

5) he wastes his money on whatever he wants - thats also a pretty inane hasty generalization of a porsche owner, but if thats how you want to describe them, then let me be the first to say that they sound like complete douchebags... much like yourself.

ps. are you really 36 years old? because damn...
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #40
gangajas
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Spanish Castle Magic
Posts: 1,452
Default

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by gangajas
Originally Posted by coloradosilver
Thats the point of the argument here, the porsche is a waste of money, just like you have said yourself.
You haven't understood anything..... :roll: :roll:

It's always the same with some Corvette owners or fans. :roll:

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
they just pay for that extra. Poser? yes... may be

I think it is just that they love those cars. Why would they have to buy a Corvette instead of their favourite car?
Again you totally miss the point..

Yousay the only car to compare to the 997 911TT is the Gallardo...??? Funny - Porsche don't think so...

SO again - what other cars would youthink are valid comparisons to the 997TT??

And what would you say are good comparison points?

Speed, price, braking, slalom, track, racing history, racing wins, price, weight, size, acceleration?

And remember - no Corvette comparisons allowed :roll: -- but please enlighten us and indicate what other cars are fair coparison to the 997TT?
Well, I'm not obsessed with comparisons like you. The 911 TT is a pretty special car: 24/7 supercar, AWD, rear engined, 2+2, sporty and luxurious at the same time. Do you know any car that can match those characteristics?

I have said the Gallardo, because you told me to say a car, but I've added that the Lambo is different.....
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:25 AM   #41
findleybeast
Regular User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NoVA/Ohio, USA
Posts: 946
Default

forgetting the whole corvette shenanigans, I'm pretty impressed with the 997 turbo. I do like that they went through the effort to lighten it, although being as its an evolution rather than a completely new car I can see how that'd be fairly easy.

that variable turbo seems to have worked some magic too. I'm curious what this "special overboost mode" is though. 20.9 psi is ridiculous! I wonder if its a special mode you have to select, or if it just ups the boost at full throttle during a particular rev range, or something to that extent. At "normal" peak torque is only a 42lb ft increase over the 996, rather than the overboost 87lb ft increase.

And am I the only one disappointed by the front end treatment? It seems really toned down from the last turbo... lost some of its edge
__________________

Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSlusbe
findleybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:21 AM   #42
frodefe
Regular User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 377
Default

Read quickly through all posts - this is my $0.2

A sportscar is by it's nature something unrational, silly and useless. This in terms of practicality, performance and price.
It's more about feelings, emotions and dreams...
Pure performance, price (bang-for-the-buck), reliability, depreciation etc. will never by it self fuel a passion. At best make
for an excuse to the purchase, a way to rationalize the irrational.

I had a dream when I was younger, and made my self a promise. Once I will buy a Porsche 911. The car of my dreams.
The car that I had read about in tons of magazines, and had pictures of that covered the walls of my bedroom. This promise was never
one made out of value for money, or it's 1/4 mile times. This was solely based upon one thing - this car (for me) was THE only sportscar to have.

I do belive that it's important for the C6 fans to accnowledge the fact that the mrsp vs performance does not equate to the same for all.
Of course a sportscar does not exsist in a vacuum, but are measured towards other, normal cars, and also different types of sportscars.
For some these results confirms and rationalize their choice, and for others they exists merely as an informative side-note.

I'm presently not it the position for purchasing a new sportscar. But if I was, the Corvette could be prized at $ 45.000 and I still would not consider it.

It simply is not my thing...
__________________
have fun - or laugh trying.....
frodefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:37 AM   #43
sentra_dude
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,610
Default

^Nice post

Let's stay on topic here and talk about the Porsche and not the Corvette please.

Personally, I am a little disappointed with the visual treatment...the wheels for one, they are forced, and I'm definitely not sure about the exhaust placement. I was hoping since this model was sort of a return to 993 looks that they would go that direction with the turbo, since the 993 turbo (in my opinion) is the best looking turbo. This one doesn't seem to have quite as much of a 'squat' look as the other turbos...hopefully that is just the pictures, and it will look better in person.

The specs certainly sound impressive, and as usual the specs Porsche has provided are most likely very conservative...this will be a fast car. 8)

Thanks.
__________________

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:46 AM   #44
RC45
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,413
Default

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
^Nice post

Let's stay on topic here and talk about the Porsche and not the Corvette please.
Lets keep the the story accurate as well.. the anti-Corvette brigade are the ones that got all pissy and brought up the issue.. a number of us simply made observaitons and called for comparisons... you yahoos put the Corvette into the equation.

The C-car never even entered into the dabate - it just seems that the P-car is not allowed to be called into comparison to anything else.. ever...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #45
mv
Regular User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Czech republic
Posts: 563
Default

I can see it getting very positive reviews and can't wait for Tiff to wring its neck. It might not be as powerful as we might have expected, but since it's shed some kilos we can expect a significant improvement in performance. Some cutting-edge technology is also present, it has everything it needs. But still, bring on the Turbo S.

BTW, the Z06 will no longer be faster on the Ring than a 911 Turbo.
__________________
It's not about how fast you go, it's about how you go fast. - Enzo Ferrari
mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump