Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-15-2004, 09:04 AM   #16
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by Zafiro
Originally Posted by Ghostbat
Still pretty funny that an S-Class is faster in a straight line than the M5..
....and it is even more funnier that S-class is faster than a ae55, almost as a SLR too. But till what cost, I rather drive a M5 or a E55 than a big luxurycars for half the price.
If BMW wanted a car to be as fast as a S-class, they would build one. No need for it cause the only thing mercedes is after, is bragging rights.

It's funny to read that the mercedsfans can't accept there are faster cars than mercedes. Now they have to compare to a rare and much more expensive cars to make them feel better. Are we adults or children? Looks like a Kindergarden to me.---
Actually BMW wanted to break Mercedes with their 760 but then Mercedes turbocharged their S600.

And BTW why cant we all get along and realize that the M5 and the E55 has different clientele. IMO two amazing car where one is a racecar for the road and the other a limousine with Ferrari performance.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:10 AM   #17
mindgam3
Regular User

but they're built to compete agasint each other. Ones the top end 5 series and ones the top end e class..... Its only right to compare them, along with the rs6 of course
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:17 AM   #18
rob_e1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ghostbat
BTW does anyone know if the new M5 is going to be available with an ordinary manual transmission?
Not according to autocar. SMG only.
rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:21 AM   #19
TT

Originally Posted by mindgam3
but they're built to compete agasint each other. Ones the top end 5 series and ones the top end e class..... Its only right to compare them, along with the rs6 of course
so if E65 is suppose to compete agaisnt M5, what are E55 suppose to be compete against?
We will probably not see a E65 vs M5, cause the pricegap will be huge and also it will be a limited edition. A E55 will be a big sellar compred to E65.

First people bitching that E55 will be faster than the new M5, when its not people compare to a car that dont exist and iand will cost mucho dinero.
E65 dont exist so I dont know what has to do with the thread. Live in the present, not in the future.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:24 AM   #20
mindgam3
Regular User

i was referring to the e55 and m5.....
Old 09-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #21
TT

Originally Posted by mindgam3
i was referring to the e55 and m5.....
you werent talking about E65 vs M5 vs RS6?
Old 09-15-2004, 03:23 PM   #22
schnell318
Regular User

Same discussion as always...but anyway fact is that previous generation M5 was the class leader from the day it was introduced till it´s last day. There were other super sedans with more power in it´s last years but that doesn´t mean they took the crown away from the M5 (more than proven fact by endless respectable car magazines) so I really don´t understand why the E65 and upcoming RS6 are such a big issue when everyone knows that even if they have more power they almost certainly won´t be the best overall car.

As I always say, to each his own but to me BMW is the driver´s choice, then Audi which is a nice car IMO and then Merc who can only bragg about power about straight line speed.
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #23
robruf
Regular User

Yes, the MB E55 is a great car, but the new M5 is going to be a super car.
robruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:03 PM   #24
MAE
Regular User

Im so tired of this clown Zafiro he is in all forums pulling the same BS.
Comments like BMW could make a faster car if they wanted to.
In that case all MB fans can say that MB can make a Sportier car then any Bimmer (CLK DTM AMG).

So My question is where or when this BS stops.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #25
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I think it will also offer a six speed manual as an option.

Even if the E55 was faster I'd still take the M5...more of a driver's car.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:50 PM   #26
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI

I think it will also offer a six speed manual as an option.

Even if the E55 was faster I'd still take the M5...more of a driver's car.
Sorry guys, but BMW is probably going to be refining the SMG to the point that it is going to take over the modern automatic transmission (except for in the 7 series). all they need to do is soften the shift quality in the automated mode.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:34 AM   #27
blah
Regular User

i thought 7 speed manual as an option down the road? Also i wouldnt mind a SMG taking over the roll of an automatic, its faster, can be more effecient, is in the right gear, and you get the option of playing with the shifting yourself. BMW is one of the few car manufacturing keeping with a manual.

Also when you compare a M5 with anything you should look past straightline performance, and onto handling and braking. On the side note to the comment about how the M5 beats the E55 when starting from one gear to a certain speed. Its because the Torque in the M5 is throughout the whole powerband. There are dyno sheets somewhere on thiss site showing it. The torque comes in very low and stays consistant thoughout the whole powerband.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:24 AM   #28
mindgam3
Regular User

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15537
Old 09-16-2004, 10:22 AM   #29
blah
Regular User

Thans Mind! Look at that power band, lok at were the torque comes in and stays in. a man could do things with that power
Old 09-16-2004, 04:11 PM   #30
martin100
Regular User

WHAT??? There will a E65?? :shock: I didn´t know that! This will for sure cut the M5 into pieces... Mercedes simply builds the better cars IMO.
martin100 is offline   Reply With Quote