Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion

Old 04-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
blue8
Regular User

Default Top Gear heading to the US?

From Autoblog:
Is The Stig headed to the States? It appears that the wildly popular automotive TV show, Top Gear, could be heading to these shores (again). The BBC and The Sun newspaper have reported that there are again plans to do a Top Gear U.S. version, but this time with current hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May. Previous attempts at doing an American Top Gear lost the magic when they tried to replicate the show with different presenters. Although airing the current UK show on Discovery has made some fans happy, getting the lads to cover more American cars and feature more American celebs will probably draw an even bigger American audience. To that end it is said that the U.S. show will be just like the UK version, but will include more American cars, and U.S. stars doing their darndest to beat The Stig.

The deal hasn't been confirmed by BBC Worldwide, but there have apparently been talks. Top Gear, in case you don't know, is an international Emmy winner, which recently wrapped its most recent season with 8 million viewers tuning in for the finale. They have also been in the news for the horrific jet car crash and remarkable recovery of presenter Richard Hammond. The show's next UK season will begin airing in the fall.

A new U.S. version sounds intriguing. We say bring it on. Maybe if they're forced to drive more American cars on American roads in American driving conditions, they'll start to understand why their current negative impressions don't hold water on this side of the pond. I already have my "I'm the Stig's fat American cousin" T-shirt to welcome them to these shores. What do you think of a possible Top Gear U.S. edition?

-- I don't really see the point of doing this... but more TG shows always sounds cool 8)

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
ferrari550
Regular User

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2007160255,00.html
Old 04-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
TopGearNL
Regular User

Well got to keep the Yanks happy I guess

More TG is always welcome!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
ViperASR
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL

:bah:

Would be cool to see TG on my TV as opposed to my computer. I hope they do it :good:

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by ViperASR

:bah:

Would be cool to see TG on my TV as opposed to my computer. I hope they do it :good:
LOL, why :bah

Anyway if it features more american cars that would be ok, would love to see the Saleen for instance!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

I wounder how that would come out with JC... :roll: will he be censored?

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
graywolf624
Regular User

will he be censored?
Really depends on the channel.. Some are censored some arent.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by Erez
What would they censore him on, that Americans always ask you if you want cheese with it?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I dont think the American audience would like Top Gear.

Its not an American like show.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by Erez
What would they censore him on, that Americans always ask you if you want cheese with it?
Thats exactly it. The whole "Americans are dumb" thing won't fly here and I'm sure he's aware of it. It works the other way as well, I don't imagine the British public watching an American repeatedly tell them how stupid they are and how shit their country is.

I say bring it on, I'd love to see them on TV here. They bring something completely different from every other motoring show here. Which is good, because they all suck ass IMO.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #11
TopGearNL
Regular User

Thats exactly it. The whole "Americans are dumb" thing won't fly here and I'm sure he's aware of it. It works the other way as well, I don't imagine the British public watching an American repeatedly tell them how stupid they are and how shit their country is.
Yeh true..

But I hope they won't censore him too much otherwise it could just as well be a 5th Gear presenter, I mean JC has his own unique character and approach to everything, thats what makes him so likeable..
Old 04-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
obdr
Regular User

Are yout kidding me? Americans wont like Top Gear you say?!!? I know TONS upon TONS of Americans who loves Top Gear. We have a sence of humor guys...even when the joke is on us.
obdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #13
ViperASR
Regular User

Originally Posted by obdr
Are yout kidding me? Americans wont like Top Gear you say?!!? I know TONS upon TONS of Americans who loves Top Gear. We have a sence of humor guys...even when the joke is on us.
Everyone that is into cars that I hang out with and race with all watch Top Gear. Even some people that are not as big of car nuts as some of us watch the show. People over here love the show, despite how biased JC is. Come on, we have a sence of humor 2.

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
RC45
Regular User

Mainstream support for a US bashing show would be very limited, and sponsors would bail out with in the first week.

JC is al washed up and has no entertainment or driving skills left, so he has to constantly resort to cheap one liners.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #15
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Mainstream support for a US bashing show would be very limited, and sponsors would bail out with in the first week.

JC is al washed up and has no entertainment or driving skills left, so he has to constantly resort to cheap one liners.
Blasphemy.

Only reason you dont liek him is cause he doesnt like the yanks
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote