Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > MotorWorld Car Reviews

Old 02-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
dingo
Regular User

Default Porsche 996 Turbo

This is the second Porsche I have driven (after a 993 Carrera) so it was definately a step up in all aspects. The owner had told me in the morning he'd give me a drive later but I had forgotten about it by the time he threw me the keys. :shock:

I was expecting a quick blast up and down the street but no, he said "drive it home to your place" - which was over 30minutes away!

I've got some video footage he took while I was driving but he doesn't have a clue how to control it so it was utter crap....oh well.

All photos: http://ozcarsightings.com/996ttphotoshoot.php

Specifications

Engine - 3.6L Flat-6
Power - 420hp @ 6000 rpm (this one modified to 510hp)
Torque - 560 Nm @ ? rpm
Max Speed (declared) - 308 km/h
Acceleration (declared), 0-100 km/h - 4.2sec
Tranny - Tiptronic

Seats - 4 (sort of)
Doors - 2

Exterior

With the 997 variant now out this model might be out of favour but it still has an aggressive stance! This ones stands out from the crowd a bit with the rare Dark Teal colour (option) and the aftermarket 19" lightweight wheels. Lowered with coilovers helps finish off the look - a big fan personally.

Interior

A bit of a disappointment to be honest - like many Porsches I suppose. It just doesn't feel like you're sitting in a car as fast as it is. The only thing which rescues this particular one is the optional carbon fibre trim which definately gives it a more sporty feel and look. Way too much black in there. I do like the dial arrangement though.

How does it drive?

Like an everyday car to be honest! Pottering around in traffic you wouldn't have a clue the potential you have under your right foot! Its relatively quiet, ride isn't too harsh and there is good visibility.

Give your right foot a prod though and you realise what a weapon you have in your control! It piles on speed like crazy, and turbo lag is almost non-existant with the two turbos. The scary thing is you don't realise how fast you're going - it isn't an event like in a Ferrari so befor you know it you're doing 2 or 3 times the speed limit. I only pushed it to around 160-170kmh quickly on a quiet road and than took barely any time at all.

Handling wise I can't comment too much since we didn't tackle and hard twisties, but the thing to watch I noticed is the huge rear hips! Alot wider than I'm used to so you have to factor that in when attacking corners.

Unfortunately this was a tiptronic model which really dulls the driving experience IMO. There is noticeable "kick-down" if you leave it in auto mode and even in manual mode the changes are pretty ordinary - well behind the others I've tried in the F430, CS and M5 for example (it is an older car, of course). This would be a completely different (better) car to drive if you had a third pedal....shame. Another thing I noticed was when you come to a stop if will drop into 2nd gear - not first like most other "F1-style" systems. You can override it obviously but clicking down a gear. I'm also not a fan of the buttons on the wheel, so much nice with paddles behind the wheel - better feel and control.

What are the most positive features of the car?

Pace - stunning
Looks
Everyday useability - wouldn't be a problem

What are the most negative features of the car?

The soundtrack - dull
Tiptronic system
Interior

How do you think this car compares to its direct competition?

Well I haven't driven its direct competitors of the time so hard to judge. I guess it would be the 360 Modena or a Gallardo perhaps – both cars I’ve been in before. It really depends on what you want out of a car when you make this decision – Italian flare and style or German precision and usability. Point-to-point I’m sure the Porker is the car to buy!

Conclusion

Stunningly effective car to cover normal everyday roads – would be hard to do it it quicker in anything else (even more expensive cars). Also a car you can drive to work and back each day – so if you need something that can be both a transporter and toy for weekends don’t look past the 996 Turbo.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
pzgren
Regular User

very nice write up dingo!

it's really sad that it is a tipper.... to be honest the actual porsche tiptronic is really shitty... i hope the new system is really as good as we can read atm.
i guess you're right about the interior. you don't really have the feeling to sit in a very fast supercar. on the other side with all the stuff inside it makes it an everyday car. if there would be no ac, radio, set heating and so on the car wouldn't be driven all year round....
Old 02-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
stmoritzer
Regular User

nice review,

looks like noboy like the buttons on the steering wheel, me neither.
This rims looks very wide and strong
510hp is impressive

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
TT
Regular User

Thanks for the review! I was passenger in some 996 Turbos but never had the chance to take the wheel yet!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
TopGearNL
Regular User

Thanks for the great Write-up Dingo!

Damn that must be a dream come true! :shock:

What is the main difference between that car and the Scooby would you say?

Hope to have that myself one day! Anyhow I loved reading the review and the pics are great, as always! :good:
Old 02-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
silentm
Regular User

nice review, thx for the writeup, sad though that the car is with a tiptronic system :/
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL

What is the main difference between that car and the Scooby would you say?
The power delivery probably.

Honestly in the Porsche you nearly feel like you're driving an N/A V8 (no lag), the delivery is so linear and there is no point you really feel the boost coming on. In my car it all of a sudden hits you (3500-4000rpm) and throws you back in the seat.

I'm sure the 510hp Porker is quicker but it doesn't feel like it - for exactly the reason I mentioned above.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
TopGearNL
Regular User

/\/\ Aha I see..

Thanks for that, you would know, I wouldn't 8)
Old 03-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
racingfreak
Regular User

I've driven a 993 turbo S myself, and I must tell you, the twin turbo's on them insure almost no lag and lots and lots of power! I was really stunned by the 993 turbo S's performance...but the 996 is also not to bad, a little tamed if you ask me

2003 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S
2003 Mercedes Benz ML 270 CDI
2005 Mercedes Benz A 180 CDI
2006 Mercedes Benz CLS 500
racingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote