Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 05-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
1zippo1
Regular User

Default Fiesta 1998 1.2 problem

My girlfriend has a Fiesta 1998 1.2. One of the problems she has been experiencing is that the power isn't delivered smoothly. I know my moms Yaris has the same problem when the engine isn't warm yet, but in the Fiesta it's allways like this, even without full acceleration. Could it be because the oil filters are dirty?

Or any other suggestions?
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
ZfrkS62
Regular User

sounds like a pretty vague explanation. Have you experienced the problem yourself?

What seems to be the hang up in the power delivery? How does it transmit through the car?

When it comes to talking to a Service Advisor at a shop, try and give as much information about the symptoms as you can. This will help the technician in diagnosing your car.

If the engine itself sounds as if it is struggling then check the air filter. If it is clogged, you are not getting enough air into the engine and it is choking.

If the fuel filter hasn't been changed then it may be clogged, restricting fuel flow to the injectors which is starving the engine of fuel.

Carbon deposits on the valves and in the intake, could also be restricting air flow and may be soaking up fuel.

Also, if the catalytic converter is clogged, it is causing a restriction in the exhaust system. This is causing the exahust to not leave the cylinder due to the backpressure and is taking up valuble space for the air/fuel mixture. This is causing a massive drop in power.

Try revving the engine with the transmission in park and listen to what it is doing.

If the engine is accelerating as it should then your problem lies within the drivetrain, more than likely the transmission.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
antonioledesma
Regular User

what do you mean by smooth delivery power?
the engine jumps up the revs by itself?
while pressing the gas the engine doesn't push a lot, and then at a certain moment or rpms it accelerates more?
or the pedal's mechanism is crap and your gf has to tap the pedal to get it moving?
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:51 AM   #4
1zippo1
Regular User

Originally Posted by antonioledesma
while pressing the gas the engine doesn't push a lot, and then at a certain moment or rpms it accelerates more?
or the pedal's mechanism is crap and your gf has to tap the pedal to get it moving?
nope, it's not like the engine revs without the car really going faster. Then you have a broken powerband if I'm not mistaken.

It's kinda like turbo lag I guess, under acceleration it seems like you only have half of the engine power, and then in a moment the engine seems to be gathering air/oil which causes for it to lose allmost all power for a very brief moment. After this brief moment, the engine pulls much better.

I thought the oil filters were dirty, because just a week ago she had to refill the oil in her car and there only was a very very small amount left. She bought the car from her uncle a year back and falsly assumed he had refilled it. I said to her that she needed to tell the mechanic at the garage, to check the oil filters, but she wouldn't. She thinks they'll charge her for all kinds of stuff she doesn't need :roll:
Old 05-14-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
1zippo1
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
If she thinks that, don't argue and tell her in a few months "told you so"
hehe I could do that.

I would love doing that, because like all women, she often thinks she knows best But in general it's better to play fair.

Anyway, if the oil filters get really dirty, is there a possibility for serious damage to the engine (I think so, but she doesn't seem to listen).
Old 05-14-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by 1zippo1
Originally Posted by thamar
If she thinks that, don't argue and tell her in a few months "told you so"
hehe I could do that.

I would love doing that, because like all women, she often thinks she knows best But in general it's better to play fair.

Anyway, if the oil filters get really dirty, is there a possibility for serious damage to the engine (I think so, but she doesn't seem to listen).
how long has it been since the last oil change? I can't see how the oil filter being dirty would cause a problem like that. most filter have a bypass valve that allows oil to skip being filtered if the filter becomes clogged.

Is that engine turbocharged? If it is, then she may have a damged turbocharger component.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by 1zippo1
Originally Posted by antonioledesma
nope, it's not like the engine revs without the car really going faster. Then you have a broken powerband if I'm not mistaken.

It's kinda like turbo lag I guess, under acceleration it seems like you only have half of the engine power, and then in a moment the engine seems to be gathering air/oil which causes for it to lose allmost all power for a very brief moment. After this brief moment, the engine pulls much better.

I thought the oil filters were dirty, because just a week ago she had to refill the oil in her car and there only was a very very small amount left. She bought the car from her uncle a year back and falsly assumed he had refilled it. I said to her that she needed to tell the mechanic at the garage, to check the oil filters, but she wouldn't. She thinks they'll charge her for all kinds of stuff she doesn't need :roll:
well there is no mechanical component called the powerband but what would be hapening in that case is the trans is slipping which is very bad.

and I'm sure in an engine that small there is only one oil filter not multiples. and it sounds like she has never changed the oil since she got the car a year ago she just keeps topping it off? if that is the case go to an oil change place and get it changed and oil filter costs a wopping $3-10 USD depending on application and the oil for that car can't be more than $4USD a quart and probably takes only 4 quarts. I would say change the oil anyways because it doesn't sound like it has been done in a very long time. Also I would replace the fuel filter another cheap part that you could probably do yourself with a little effort.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
1zippo1
Regular User

thx for the advice guys. I'll talk to her about it.