Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Old 04-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #16
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Originally Posted by |Nuno|
The non turbo 911 is a whole different matter. Since there was no real competition, they didn't need to increase power substantially.
That's what I was saying... What I mean is that at the beggining, both Porsche and Ferrari entry cars were similar in terms of power... 308 vs 930 for instance. But with the time... Ferrari has increased the power way too much than Porsche (and I'm still talking about the basic 911 and the basic V8 Ferrari). That's why Aston or Ferrari are planning less powerful cars to fight in the 911 territory, becasue Porsche didn't have real competitors since Ferrari and other brands started to add hp and more power and more power to their cars.
I see your point but at least in terms of horsepower, the 308 was well ahead of the 930 non turbo. And the same goes for price.

See, I consider the 308 for example to be one level up in terms of market positioning compared to the regular 911. If the 911's performance was close...well, that's another story and one of the reasons why Ferrari had to improve their numbers; to make a distinction between the two.

That's why I think they aren't comparable, since they're not in the same class. The Turbo 911's are.

Long story short: as I see it, the regular 911's and the V8 Ferrari's were never on the same category. Or basicly, the 911 never had competitors...until now...

Sorry for the thread hijack... ops:
Old 04-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #17
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
And don't think it will just be a "recycled Maserati" as Nuno said.
Dude, you got it wrong.

Read my post:

If a entry level model ever happens, I think it'll be a complete new project, not a recycled Maserati...
What I meant is that the article gives the idea of a recycled Maserati, which would never happen, hence my big doubts about its veracity.
I just quoted you there, mate. I wouldn't want to use it like I made it up myself. If you read the paragraph it's in you see I agree with you.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:50 PM   #18
|Nuno|
Regular User

And don't think it will just be a "recycled Maserati" as Nuno said.
Dude, you got it wrong.

Read my post:

If a entry level model ever happens, I think it'll be a complete new project, not a recycled Maserati...
What I meant is that the article gives the idea of a recycled Maserati, which would never happen, hence my big doubts about its veracity.
I just quoted you there, mate. I wouldn't want to use it like I made it up myself. If you read the paragraph it's in you see I agree with you.
Whoops... Seems like I was the one who got it wrong then... ops:
Old 04-14-2005, 01:28 PM   #19
sndr
Regular User

Found another pic
Old 04-14-2005, 02:48 PM   #20
Fleischmann
Regular User

The cheapest car in the Ferrari range if to go into production...and it doesn't stand a chance against the Aston in terms of looks. The power is more or less the same...the rivalry should be interesting considering the great reviews the 430 is getting.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #21
mv
Regular User

The whole article is available :

Ferrari is set to give the green light to a new entry level model that will directly take on Aston Martin’s V8 Vantage and should give a massive boost to the Italian company. Powered by a front-mounted 400bhp 4.2-litre V8 driving a rear-mounted transmission, the new model should sell for around Ł85,000 in coupé form and could lift Ferrari sales from just under 5000 cars per year to as many as 8000.

Rumoured to be called Project California, sources in Italy say Ferrari engineers are already working on the new car, which will also come in drophead form. It is the first tangible evidence of a new dawn for Ferrari after its recent split from Maserati.

The California is believed to be based on Maserati’s planned replacement for the Spider and Coupé models. Scooped by Autocar last year (21/28 December), development of these new cars was halted just before control of Maserati was handed over to Alfa Romeo in February.

The proposed ‘baby’ Ferrari is the first concrete sign that Maranello is preparing to break free of its self-imposed production limits and take a risk on exploiting one of the most widely-recognised brands in the world.

The California is based on conventional steel monocoque chassis, although it uses a transaxle transmission, located on the back axle. With the engine mounted well back in the nose, the combination gives a near-perfect front/rear weight distribution. This front-mid engine layout (though without the transaxle) is also employed by the California’s closest potential rival, the Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

Although engineers have been working on two wheelbases for the new Maseratis, it’s expected that Ferrari will utilise the shorter chassis, which would have underpinned the Spider.

Insiders expect the California to use a Ferrari-modified version of today’s 400bhp 4.2-litre V8 Maserati engine (right), which would confirm the California’s position below the F430 in the Ferrari line-up, with its 490bhp 4.3-litre V8. And in the UK the F430 coupé is priced at Ł118,000, which means there’s a gap in Ferrari’s market for an Ł85,000 coupé.

However, there’s little chance of the California simply being a worked-over version of the Mk2 Maserati coupé. Senior insiders told Autocar that cash-strapped Ferrari had not committed to tooling up the new Maserati designs, so Ferrari’s designers will have to start from scratch on the styling, inside and out.

After the controversial styling of the front-engined 612 Scaglietti, Ferrari bosses will surely be looking for a coupé that has the appeal of the new Aston Martin models as well as the legendary day-to-day usability of the Porsche 911.

Meanwhile, with the replacements for the Maserati Coupé and Spyder put on hold, it’s thought that Maserati may turn to new partner Alfa Romeo for help to replace its entry-level models. Alfa’s sophisticated ‘Premium’ platform could provide the basis for a new coupé and cabriolet model.

The new Alfa Romeo Brera could provide the bare bones of the new models. And according to the terms of the recent split between General Motors and Fiat, GM will supply Fiat Auto with a version of its Northstar V8 engine that can be transversely mounted. Insiders say this will be modified by Maserati engineers and hooked up to a full-time, rear-biased four-wheel-drive system.

Maserati had been a millstone around Ferrari’s neck since late 1999, and it was blamed for dragging it substantially into the red last year. Despite a respected three-model range, Maserati sold just 4600 cars last year, and although that was a massive increase over previous years, it is said to need to make 10,000 cars per year at its refurbished Modena factory to move into healthy profit.

Ferrari bought Maserati from Fiat in late 1999. Fiat, in turn had bought the ailing brand in January 1990 from De Tomaso. Despite investing in a unique platform and sophisticated engineering, Maserati has been taking too long to show a return on Ferrari’s investment.

Autocar has been told that the marriage of the two supercar makers ultimately failed because Ferrari’s components were too expensive to use in the cheaper Maseratis.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=214573
Old 04-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #22
dons5
Regular User

the front is a 430 and 612 put together and the rear is all 612, its sooo fake
Old 09-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #23
numerouno
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Sorry to bring back this old topic... but I've found a couple of pics (well... just draws ) of the new Dino, and I didn't wanted to start a new thread since we had been talking about this for a while... The first design was also posted here... but the pic from the rear, F430 + 8C Competizione... is to die for!!!
Yeah looks great! but I doubt that the final car will look like this. this is a PSed 8C as you've also noticed!
numerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #24
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

I still think all this is complete BS. Whats the point of making a car that'll be a direct rival to the successor the the Maserati 4200? :roll: