Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #16
DeMoN
Regular User

It was a pretty exciting race. Last 3 laps left me with a smile that lasted well over the interviews. Such a shame my smile was fast erased by the FIA hinting on Lewis-Kimi review. FIA clearly being more of a Ferrari fan immediately made me realize they were looking for a way to take points away from Lewis even though Kimi pushed him out and Lewis gave the spot back AND passed Kimi again on the other side (not even the same side kimi went by him).

Pretty lame Stewart decision if you ask me (and planetf1 forum Ferrari supporters apparently think so too). If the McLaren appeal gets nowhere, I will (no doubt) boycott F1. I wont be locking out my weekends avoiding parties to be able to wake up at 7am for qualy/race to have such disappointments happen. I almost stopped watching when they fined $100 big ones and disqualified McLaren last year. This is the last stroke.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
hymera003
Regular User

Wow that's a strange twist to the race, I didn't know that you are not allowed to overtake a Ferrari.
hymera003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #18
nthfinity
Regular User

great 1st 5 laps, great last 3 laps.... which is more then most races.

edit:
just realized the stewards are asses. I don't like it when McLaren win, however, the decision is pure bunk. If I were to review the race, and find that he did an illegal maneuver, I'd leave the result, but penalize him for the following race if anything.... not that I would do that.

Last edited by nthfinity; 09-07-2008 at 04:21 PM.
nthfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #19
yellky
Regular User

oh, that was a fun to watch the last 2 laps!

poor Lewis boy, this year FIA's not that helpful..
well, i'd call it even (i didnt forget last year's FIAmilton)
Old 09-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #20
dauemannen
Regular User

I just finished watching the race, and those two last laps were really great.

I must admit I am quite a Ferrari supporter, which might make it a bit harder for me to defend the fact that I think the stewards were right in giving Lewis a drive-through. He did, rightly so, let Kimi past again after jumping the chicane, but just barely. This was what gave him that great run on Kimi in the hairpin where he past him. So he did gain an advantage form cutting the chicane, though in the next corner, where he passed a car. Hamilton should just have let Raikkonen go and then tried to pass him later in the lap cause he clearly had the better car in those conditions.
dauemannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #21
styla21
Regular User

Ooh.. Stiff penalty. I feel for Lewis today.
However, rules are rules. It is way to subjective to say that if a Ferrari car had committed the same rule breach, that they would not be penalized. Let's see what the Mclaren appeal yields.

Heidfeld - great decision, great result!
Kimi - heartbreaking.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #22
essjay
Regular User

I am at a loss for words on how Lewis lost that totally deserved win.... I thought that the FIA would atleast have some sense in hiding their support for Ferrari but I guess not. Wow.
essjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #23
Rift
Regular User

I feel for Kimi he dominated that race with out a doubt all the negative talk about him in the last few weeks is null he proved that today till a bit of pressure/rain came at the end.

But the decision by the stewards like this is exactly the kind of crap that ruins great races like this Hamilton deserves that win and taking it away from him is just shear cruelty for no reason. If they absolutely must have punished him they should have left it for the next race not taken away a well deserved and well earned victory.
Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #24
bettlejuice
Regular User

When Kimi pushed Hamilton out he was just half-a-car behind.. when he returned to the track he let Kimi overtake him... he actually gave more than what he had before .. what happened next was because mclaren was faster... i drive-thru penalty after the race ending is nonsense... perhaps if hamilton had injured a mechanic or hit some flag guy everything would be fine now... seems to work for ferrari
bettlejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #25
Pokiou
Regular User

I told you guys. I TOLD YOU ALL FIARRARI... this is total bullshit.. It was the best stint.. It was full on racing. HOW it should be.. Perfeect battle for 1st and 2nd !

And to penalise him. It confirms that FIA should NO longer be apart of F1!
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #26
Pokiou
Regular User

Originally Posted by yellky View Post
oh, that was a fun to watch the last 2 laps!

poor Lewis boy, this year FIA's not that helpful..
well, i'd call it even (i didnt forget last year's FIAmilton)
Your full of shit with that comment and i can smell it from here !

FIA has always helped Ferrari win and this is just PURE proof of it.. NO rules where broken UNLESS you call what kimi did right.. NOT giving space and causing another racer to go off track.

he seems to be bringin Michaels Tactics to the track!

FIA NO GO!
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #27
DeMoN
Regular User

Originally Posted by dauemannen View Post
I just finished watching the race, and those two last laps were really great.

I must admit I am quite a Ferrari supporter, which might make it a bit harder for me to defend the fact that I think the stewards were right in giving Lewis a drive-through. He did, rightly so, let Kimi past again after jumping the chicane, but just barely. This was what gave him that great run on Kimi in the hairpin where he past him. So he did gain an advantage form cutting the chicane, though in the next corner, where he passed a car. Hamilton should just have let Raikkonen go and then tried to pass him later in the lap cause he clearly had the better car in those conditions.
If you have the video, you can later see the yellow flag kimmi (Im a BIG kimi fan - Im a McLaren fan and Kimi fan at the same time Lewis is 2nd) neglected to slow down for. He obviously did not get any penalties. Lewis went to the grass to avoid colission Kimi just stormed past w/o lifting.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #28
DeMoN
Regular User

How is this:

more penalty worthy than

Remember Schumacher did NOT get a penalty for that pass.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #29
Mattk
Regular User

If you gain an advantage or cause disadvnatge though non-legal methods, you must be penalised to the extent of the advantage gained. The is true in all sports. In soccer, if you are dispossessed through an illegal tackle, you get an indirect free kick. Play continues as if the offence did not occur. It is the same principle in tort law. If you are hurt when a car runs you over, you get damages to compensate you for medical costs and loss of wages. Nothing more nothing less.

Hamilton gained an advantage by cutting the chicane and in the ensuing situation, disadvantaging Raikonnen. Tough call, but not incorrect. The standard penalty of 25 seconds was imposed, the same penalty, I might add, given to Timo Glock after he overtook Mark Webber under yellow flags.

It is hard to prove that FIA favours Ferrari. There is no precedential analysis to confirm that in the recent past, the same FIA stewards panel have let illegal racing moves go unpunished. Stewards have nothing to gain from favouring one team. They just call it as they see it.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #30
Rift
Regular User

He gained an advantage that he then gave back... he kept it close which any body would have. The two above videos are perfect examples of it and you gotta love how Schumi never got a penalty yet today's incident is more penalty worthy? Common give me a break that was spectacular driving on both drivers parts and FIA's ruling is uncalled for. The race was great and this is just ruining it.

In the end what FIA sais goes but i really hope the apeal goes through and this is overturned, in true F1 fasion watch this get solved towards the last race or two really kicking things up.
Rift is offline   Reply With Quote