Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:18 AM   #31
Mattk
Regular User

We don't have Town Cars here. We have locally produced long wheelbase models.

I'm not sure the Town Car can be compared to any other car. Most other cars think about the driver when they are built. The Town Car does not, according to pretty much all the reviews I've read about it. This is probably why the chassis hasn't been updated. People buy the car, it works, so why fix it if it ain't broke?

I've read the average age of Town Car buyers is 70, which probably explains why so little thought is give to driving dynamics. Old folks don't care anymore. They just want a movable living room.

the fact is, many of my friends with the most expensive, and most luxurious cars in the wolrd around call Metro Cars (read lincoln towncar) to comp and pick them up, as well as drop them off to the airport.
And they'll go home and drive their expensive cars, so what's the point?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #32
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
And by looking at the interior pic of the Phantom and comapring it to the Lincoln one see clearly its a better looking interior the wood are actually wood whereas in the lincoln its cheap wood imitations, things like this are what seperates a real luxury car from a wannabe luxury car IMO.....
"looks better"

WTF?

YOu are so full of shit you have just confirmed for the world to see.

You looked at 2 photos, and based off JUST the photos tried to tell everyne you could determine the wood is fake and that the one clearly "looks" better.

What a load of bullshit... if you look carefully, the RR driving position and controls and layout is about as ordinary as a 1930 Austin runabout.. nothing special there.

No one EVER claimed the Lincoln Towncar was better than a Rolls Royce, and the extra ameneties and the name and the "snob" image of the Rolls will of course give certain people in the world a boner - especially those who are only concerned about their image...

however, to try say that if all you had to measure the cars was the photos shown, the only reason you could possibly have for saying the one is "better" than the other, is because you like the one name better than the other. The pjotos do not in any way shape or form display one as more luxurious than the other... in fact, if you were not a car person and did not know anything, the cars might even be from the same model line or family... as they both have leather clad fullsized interiors.

I am sorry man, but to try say the photos shown prove which car is "better" is utter crap.

Period.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #33
nthfinity
Regular User

clear anti american car sentiment here based on clear bias rather then any stout fact.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #34
graywolf624
Regular User

If me not saying I feel the Lincoln are a Luxury car wich are on par with the RR makes me a snoob I wonder what that makes you?
I don't think anyone compared the rr to the lincoln directly. Given enough money you get more toys in the back. Thats what that market is looking for. And I still stress the snob point is that you somehow think that europeans wouldnt find it luxurious. Plenty do. They are the uber rich class that want to be driven around and those who want to go to special events. Its an odd breed but its certainly not solely an american breed or even an American mass feeling. Id hate to have a car where the focus is on being driven.

And by looking at the interior pic of the Phantom and comapring it to the Lincoln one see clearly its a better looking interior the wood are actually wood whereas in the lincoln its cheap wood imitations, things like this are what seperates a real luxury car from a wannabe luxury car IMO..
uhmmm... You can get the lincoln with real walnut wood too. Your arguements aren't working.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #35
TopGearNL
Regular User

Hello how much is the RR, and how much is the Towncar?

Just stupid to compare those! :roll:
Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #36
TopGearNL
Regular User

why are you so obssesed with getting me into the American way of thinking of luxury....
Why are you so obsessed with getting all of us into the Non-American way of thinking of luxury...?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #37
sameerrao
Regular User

I find it funny that the original poster, gangajas, in a matter of speaking, entered the room, pulled the pin, lobbed the grenade and ran off while unleashing a fierce war.

Sorry for the interruption - think of it like an TV advertisement break, on with the USA vs rest battle.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 01-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #38
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
I find it funny that the original poster, gangajas, in a matter of speaking, entered the room, pulled the pin, lobbed the grenade and ran off while unleashing a fierce war.

Sorry for the interruption - think of it like an TV advertisement break, on with the USA vs rest battle.
LOL!

Perfect summorizing of it all
Old 01-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #39
graywolf624
Regular User

My opinion is that the interior of the RR are better looking with he center console/arm rest the lines of the dash the steering wheel and so on this have nothing to do with being biased...
Yet again, if you arent the one driving who cares what the dash board and steering wheel look like.. Your in the freakin back seat being driven around.

knew the about the wood before the pics as I have said eralier in the thread
And I told you it was an inaccurate statement. You can get real wood as an option in the lincolns.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #40
TopGearNL
Regular User

You cant get fake wood as an option in a RR.....enough said....
You shouldn't be either for the price you pay :roll:
Old 01-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #41
graywolf624
Regular User

You cant get fake wood as an option in a RR.....enough said....
It may come as a suprise to you, but some people prefer fake wood. Easier to clean for one. I personally think the more options the better, I certainly wouldnt knock the car for having mroe possibilities even if some of them dont appeal to me.

I wonder who the real snobs are, the ones who actually want their luxury car to be luxury thruout even if most people dont know it, or the people who are happy just it looks close to luxury......
If your not driving you usually could care less what your driver is experiencing imho.

You really want a luxury car that you drive. That is a whole other class of vehicle... I hate to tell you but the rolls doesn't fit that need either. The reality is, most uber rich with drivers could care less about what their driver experiences. They want comfort, luxuries like tvs in the back, the ability to not even know they are moving, and in some cases image. All but the last one are covered by the lincoln, that is why it is used so much.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #42
RC45
Regular User

Have you ever even sat in the drivers seat of the new Phantom...?

I have and it is not exactly Ferrari or even BMW what with the upright seat and large steering wheel.

It is the driving position of a chauffeured limo. The seats are not any more comfy than the Towncar.

Now the Bently Conti, thats a "drivers" seating position, not a chauffeurs.

ANd I had the chance to compare both side by side. And believe it or not, there is no extra tangeble "luxury" you keep speaking of.

It is simply badge and presence. This counts for a lot, but trying to claim either of those 2 is more "luxuroius" than the Towncar is bizarre.

All three have leather seats, wood trim, outrageously comfortable seats and a silint ambience while underway.

So - if you want to say the Rolls is a Rolls and the Lincoln never will be.. thats fine.. but its an intangeble.

But if you try to say that a non-bespoke Rolls is "more luxurious" than even a Bentley or a Towncar or large Benz you are wrong - they all display the tangible accoutrements of luxury - perhaps one has more outrageous and expensive options built in (but you can even get bespoke Lincolns and Benzs to counter that).

That's the point.

And now I will bring the Z06 into this debate since you keep bringing it up... in the tangible performance category - the C5 Z06 laps Nurburgring and other tracks in the same time and sometimes better than the 360CS - so that means the 360CS is not "a better sports car".

The Ferrari may appeal to some more thna the others, and have that intangeble "it's Ferrari" quattributeality.. but it is not "a beeter sportscar" because of this.

It is just more expensive.

Now back to the thread starter:

Originally Posted by gangajas
I've have read that the Lincoln Town Car has an almost 30 years old chassis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Panther_platform).

How can this car compete with its rivals from Cadillac and the best European and Japanese brands?
How can this car compete with the others with an "older chassis" - easy, the age of the chassis does not detract from accomplashing the task at hand - Luxury Travel.

Luxury is luxury at that point - the seats are large, wide and comfortable, rear leg room is outrageous, the car floats silently down the road.

The Towncar and Rolls both deliver that quality - one just appeals to the snob in you more than the other.

Period.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #43
graywolf624
Regular User

The rolls royce was used in the early days in Australia to explore the outback as it was one of the most robust cars and one of the very few who could handle the abuse....I dont see old towncars was used that way....
They werent even around then.. That being said if your arguing rolls is robust based on the 1920 someone might want to bring up the dark ages of lucas.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #44
RC45
Regular User

IOne question to you about the town car RC, how is the quallity of the towncar, is it a tuff car, can it handle hard use...
The rolls royce was used in the early days in Australia to explore the outback as it was one of the most robust cars and one of the very few who could handle the abuse....I dont see old towncars was used that way....
this crap doesn't even deserve debate
Old 01-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #45
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
IOne question to you about the town car RC, how is the quallity of the towncar, is it a tuff car, can it handle hard use...
this crap doesn't even deserve debate
Nope true, like graywolf said thats just a stupid argument!

Oh, and Im not American