Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #46
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
Originally Posted by RC45

Interesting enough youended up buying a Japanese econobox (albeit a rather peppy one at that ) and not some exotic Italian Alfa when you went car shopping - does that not say something about your search for "bang for the buck" rather than exclusivity?
yes but we are talking about a completely different price range, nothing in the $35-40K region impressed me as much as the WRX did.....the selection of performance cars is pretty limited.

When you buy an F430/Gallardo SE/whatever (over a Z06) you get both exclusivity and amazing performance in the same package.....an Alfa might be more exclusive but it can't match the WRX's performance.
You just quoted many Z06 buyers word for word.

AT this time in the $25,000 to $100,000 range in the USA there is NOTHING that comes close to the Z06 performance.

That's right, used 2001 Z06s are getting to be as low as $25,000 now - so that is F360CS/P911TT/Viper ACR, Ford GT performance for LESS than a Toyota Camry.

On the new-car front, same story - just the budget is $70K.

Think about it, if you DID have $70K AUSD what woudl you have bought - remember only one car, your daily driver and peformance drug fix?

Do you think a Boxster (that may be slower than your cyurrent WRX) would really satisfy you?

Anyway, hopefully you realize this is all in jest... right?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #47
dingo
Regular User

Think about it, if you DID have $70K AUSD what woudl you have bought - remember only one car, your daily driver and peformance drug fix?

Do you think a Boxster (that may be slower than your cyurrent WRX) would really satisfy you?

I wouldn't buy a Boxster or any convertible, not my thing.

For $70K I'd be looking at an STi or Evo (with some change), a Ferrari 308 would be nice but not really suitable as a daily driver. A 993 could be another option I guess....

Bump the budget up to $150K and we start getting some more interesting cars - 355, B7 RS4, M3 CSL etc. - making the decision tougher.

The thing is here you pay alot for a Z06, they are taking orders for them (limited numbers) but not exactly sure what they will cost.....more than $AU 200K I'm guessing.

Definately, nothing on the internet should be treated too seriously.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #48
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
Originally Posted by Daggernite
Not everyone is going to like the same thing, be it cars girls or what ever
Yeh but there seems to be one rule for one and one rule for another.

For example I think the Mclaren F1 is a lump of shit, I cant be bothered to list all the reasons why I think it is, so I shall just quote clarkson who tried to put it nicely by saying that its more like a photograph than a painting, and IMO (the Jabbas one that is) from whatever angle you view it from its sure no work of art.

Seems I wasn't entitled to an opinion though as all the mclaren fanboys wouldn't except any criticism of their "perfect" car. Shame the real mclaren F1 cars were not a little more perfect though and then we might see them win the odd race now and then.
Not true IMO.

The difference IMO lies in the fact that the discussion around the F1 revolves mostly on opinion and lack of information. I've been in that discussion, and I've seen a fair share of BS (not directed at you btw)...

The Z06 is discussed solely on opinion, while nobody can argue the fact that it's one of the most thrilling, most-bang-for-the-buck and most capable everyday sportscar you can get. Those are facts, and whoever denies those is a stupid moron by default.

IMO everybody is entitled to their preference, but at least acknowledge the facts. And leave the cheap sentiment out (both sides). I'm tired of that shit, as do many. Just ignore the bullshitters and discuss cars on its merits.
Morons come with every discussion, don't bother replying to them.

BTW, funny how Clarkson is a moron when it comes to judging the Z06 but is praised for his critizism towards the F1. The car Tiff loved

My 2 cents.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:00 PM   #49
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
BTW, funny how Clarkson is a moron when it comes to judging the Z06 but is praised for his critizism towards the F1. The car Tiff loved

My 2 cents.
I don't think he is a moron at all (and if you meant me I certainly have never said that he was) and I seem to remember him thinking the vette was rather good (except for the hard ride for everyday use) and his "critizism towards the F1" being spot on
Old 05-23-2006, 03:33 PM   #50
nthfinity
Regular User

The difference IMO lies in the fact that the discussion around the F1 revolves mostly on opinion and lack of information. I've been in that discussion, and I've seen a fair share of BS (not directed at you btw)...

The Z06 is discussed solely on opinion, while nobody can argue the fact that it's one of the most thrilling, most-bang-for-the-buck and most capable everyday sportscar you can get. Those are facts, and whoever denies those is a stupid moron by default.
that isn't really the case... there is a lot of BS that people still try to claim that the Z can't do, even with the numbers right in front of them.... or the when somebody writes "its fast in a straight line, but it doesn't corner at all" that is just pure BS.... and all over the place.

you just choose not to read that... and/or choose not to pay attention... or perhaps you are one of those guys too :roll:
Old 05-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #51
nthfinity
Regular User

I wouldn't argue anything in favor of the Z when it comes to opinons... but honestly, people actually do post such messages, and believe what they post.
Originally Posted by everso

btw, you been going to AutoZone lately? i haven't gone in a while!
i haven't been in a while either, See you saturday morning?
Old 05-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #52
bmwmpower
Regular User

BTW Corvette Z 06 cost here almost same as M5 which has almost same power, sure corvette is faster
Old 05-24-2006, 02:39 AM   #53
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity

that isn't really the case... there is a lot of BS that people still try to claim that the Z can't do, even with the numbers right in front of them.... or the when somebody writes "its fast in a straight line, but it doesn't corner at all" that is just pure BS.... and all over the place.

you just choose not to read that... and/or choose not to pay attention... or perhaps you are one of those guys too :roll:
Don't give me that crap.

If you could read anything you'd see I said it was better just to ignore those morons. You have them at every discussion, with the same pathetic cliches all the time.

But then again, your attempt at Ferrarichat and here starting a McLaren "discussion" was not exactly an epitome of a wellthought argument anyway...so maybe I shouldn't expect too much of you :roll:

I agree with everso -> "However this whole convincing/preaching/unacceptance of opinions has to stop. People who don't like the car aren't gonna be convinced by battering it into their heads y'know? this is just an overload now. it's just a car....like the thousands of other cars on the road are."

Amd especially stop the US vs. Europe bullcrap, it's old, it's annoying, and I'm pretty sure everybody is tired of it right now...

Originally Posted by Jabba
I don't think he is a moron at all (and if you meant me I certainly have never said that he was) and I seem to remember him thinking the vette was rather good (except for the hard ride for everyday use) and his "critizism towards the F1" being spot on
In general people have been battering about the poor and opiniated reviews of Clarkson for a while now, this was not directed specifically at you. I'd take Tiff's professional opinion over JC's every day.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:03 AM   #54
nthfinity
Regular User

First off, the mclaren arguments... many of my original's hold up. a few... like the "break even" point dont. But real people who have driven the F1, as well as the best of the best cant all be right. I personally know somebody who has driven the F1 at length (as well as the F40, the XJ220, Vector W8, EB110, and lesser models; and shares a lot of these thoghts while also still wanting one....

but this isn't about the F1 here. by the end of the thread, my arguemnts are solid, and opinionated.
Don't give me that crap.
obviously you dont read either

as long as these "morons" as you so elequently put it, keep posting... so will I... particularly within the domain of the American cars forum.

If you dont like the cars, or the 100% valid arguments/facts... well, you can ignor this forum altogether as far as I care
Old 05-24-2006, 04:19 AM   #55
Jabba
Regular User

In general people have been battering about the poor and opiniated reviews of Clarkson for a while now,
In other words the people that disagree with him, he is also known for not liking American Cars and yet he gave the Vette a favorable review so I cant really say much more on your point except maybe we should just accept his "critizism of the F1" however painful it might be for mclaren fanboys.

I'd take Tiff's professional opinion over JC's every day.
Well presumably that would also include his opinion of the vette then and that nicely takes us full circle on what this topic is supposed to be all about.
Closed Thread