Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 12-16-2003, 10:13 PM   #16
graywolf624
Regular User

they could use the displacement on demand system or whatever it is called.

The C6 probably wont be faster than the Viper, and deffinitely not faster than the GT so they need something to compete with these new cars.
Not could. They are.

Not to mention the c6 doesnt have to compete with the viper and even more so with the GT.

Let us refresh. Fully loaded z06- 50000
Viper 80000?
GT 150000?
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:23 PM   #17
hemi_fan
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
Let us refresh. Fully loaded z06- 50000
Viper 80000?
GT 150000?
Its not so much the price, but the fact that Ford and Chrysler are making a faster car thats the problem. Their reputation is at stake. For a long while Ford was the slowest of the bunch, but it has not jumped into the lead with their new car. GM already has a good platform, and with some tuning and exotic materials it could smoke the current viper and be a fair rival for the GT with enough work. I just want to see if GM goes after Ford or just accepts that Ford has a faster car and relies strictly on Value to sell their cars.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:34 PM   #18
graywolf624
Regular User

For a long while Ford was the slowest of the bunch, but it has not jumped into the lead with their new car. GM already has a good platform, and with some tuning and exotic materials it could smoke the current viper and be a fair rival for the GT with enough work. I just want to see if GM goes after Ford or just accepts that Ford has a faster car and relies strictly on Value to sell their cars.
I really hope they don't. This isn't about who has the fastest overall car(very few people will buy the gt). It is about who makes the fastest cars. I personally think ford, with all its financial problems, is making a big mistake to sell a halo car. And actually GM has almost always had the fastest domestic. They do alot of small numbers special models rather then cars.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 12:07 AM   #19
godspeed06
Regular User

as i much as i want gm to make the blue devil, the important part is that they keep making the best bang for the buck sports car. i have no problems with how high end they go (who does?) as long as they keep a car in the 50 grand range because that is what makes the vette what it is.

this would be perfect...

45-50 grand base C6
50-60 grand convertible/loaded
60-70 grand Z06 (can compete with or beat the new viper)
100+ grand Blue Devil
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:40 AM   #20
Reznor
Regular User

I thought that the new vette was going to take advantage of the D.O.D. system that GM has been revamping and working on. Get the kinks out and I think it would be a great system as long as you could turn it off. I mean there are sometimes that you want all cylinders firing even when you are just idleing.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:17 PM   #21
Cornutu
Regular User

yes a system that used 4 of the cyls and then kicked in the other 4 during performance times would be a good idea
Cornutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:57 PM   #22
FoxFour
Regular User

It would certainly make sense to debut the new model with Z06 levels of engine power. If the info is true about a bigger displacement ( Base 'Vette) Then you can be sure that it will have that HP rating. The new Cobra's put out 390 HP stock and it's actually putting out around 410-420 at the flywheel.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 12:03 AM   #23
666fast
Regular User

I don't think the normal C6 will outperform the current Z06. The regular C6 will be pretty much what they current C5's are. Quick, but not the quickest. I don't think GM would allow the normal C6 to be faster than their current Top of the line car.
The C6 will no doubt be fast, but it won't have the Z06's more race oriented suspension and other little bits.

The Z06 version of the C6 is gonna be badass. With the increase in power, it'll be leaps ahead of the current Z06.
I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread, but there is supposed to be a Z51 version. My guess is it will be inbetween the regular C6 and the Z06. It won't make the power of the Z06, but it'll have better brakes, better suspension over the regular Z06. Think of it as a cheaper, not as fast Z06 I guess.

This Blue Oval Killer, whatever it is they are calling it. I see a few people think it's a load of crap. I for one don't. Ford had the cajones to build the GT, and it tramples all other American sportscars you can buy. It only makes sense that GM would build something to compete with it. The Ford GT will sell a good amount, this Super C6 will do the same if they build it.

Autoextremist.com did and article a few weeks ago about the C6. They mentioned everything that is now just starting to come out. They reported on this supposed Super C6, except they said that McLaren might have had soemthing to do with it. How awesome would that be? LOL
It's not a fact, and it won't be known untill the C6 has been officially unvieled.
The Ford GT just barely outperforms the Ferrari 360. Which is impressive for an american car company! If GM plans on competing with the Ford GT, you can bet they plan on beating it in everyway possible. If they manage to do so, it will be one hell of a car!

Some other usefull info about the C6:
5 inches shorter than the C5. Mostly in the overhangs though. It'll save wieght, but not much. Even being shorter, it will still have the same amount of room inside. The interior is supposedly far better than the C5's. The convertable will also finally get a powered top.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:54 AM   #24
blah
Regular User

Barely outpreforms the 360? Event he 360 in Challenge Stradale form was no competition for the GT. And i dont think the GT is a bad choice for ford, its giving them much needed publicity, also think about it the same engine thats in the GT is in the F-150 minus the supercharged, and in the lightning with the supercharger, so think about how they could market their truck engines now. Also the Ford GT is boosting fords reputation once more, as the ferrari fighter, althought chevy has taken over that part of america with its C-5 Corvettes.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:49 AM   #25
666fast
Regular User

And i dont think the GT is a bad choice for ford

I never said it was. I agree with you, Ford needed to build a car like that. Everything I've read said the the 360 was close to the GT, so I took it as so. Also, the Challenge Stradale isn't all that much faster than the other 360 versions.

They could use the GT as another way to market their trucks, but they don't need too. Especially the F150, they sell them by the boatloads as is. American car companies can't build any decent cars, but they have the truck market nailed dead on. Although, I think Nissans Titan will do considerable damage to their sales.

Also the Ford GT is boosting fords reputation once more, as the ferrari fighter
Yes, but it looks as if Chevy could steal their thunder. I dont' think it will hurt the GT's sales by much though. Lets face it, the GT40 is a racing icon loved by people all over the world. I can't say the same for the Corvette, despite how well they have done in racing the past few years. The only place that the Vette is truly appreciated is in America.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:51 AM   #26
godspeed06
Regular User

i have not heard of the Z51. i have heard of the ZL1 which is supposed to be codenamed the "Blue Devil" which we have already meantioned, but i just dont see how they will market something in between the regular C6 and the Z06. as far as the interior goes, the C6 is going to be a lot like the XLR which is a good thing. push button start, the same lcd screen and gadgets as in the XLR, nav system and so on. i can't wait to see the interior...
Old 12-21-2003, 12:07 PM   #27
blah
Regular User

The GT wasnt a bad choice comment wasnt directed towards you, but towards graywolf. I have my road and track issue right here, with the GT vs 360 let me type in the numbers for everyone. Also about the GT, if i remember correctly they are all sold out for atleast another year. Ill also get the Car and Driver stats too, cuz they ran it vs the GT3, and the Challange.
Road and Track Stats
skidpad .99gs N/A

Car and Driver Stats Ford GT Challange GT3
1/4 Mile 11.6@128 MPH 12.4@115 12.3@114
Old 12-21-2003, 12:15 PM   #28
godspeed06
Regular User

there is no way it takes 117 ft to brake. the viper does it in 97! must be shitty driver or bad conditions...
Old 12-21-2003, 12:23 PM   #29
blah
Regular User

Yea it probably wasnt great drivers but thats what they got road and track. if you notice car and driver got a 11.6 out of the GT while C&D got a 12.2, so i think the drivers wer an issue.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:11 PM   #30
godspeed06
Regular User

yea, car and driver hasn't really impressed me in their last couple of comparos. i dont know if you remember but they did the comparo with all the new pocket rockets but they were all tuned. kind of like how the did the supercar tuner comparo the year before. anyways, one or two of the tuner cars actually had slower times than their stock performances. its just a shame they can't get a good consistent driver like "the stig" on top gear to race these cars. i wish we got top gear here in america. the magazines and car shows here are a dissappointment compared to european ones. sorry for the rant. :x