Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 02-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
gangajas
Regular User

Default Autocar: Corvette Z06 First Drive

They are too critical

http://www.autocar.co.uk/FirstDrive_...p?RT_ID=218587
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
Ghostbat
Regular User

"But not one, perhaps, to seriously challenge Europe and Japan’s best."

Ouch. I thought that was exactly Chevys idea.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

WHo gives a fuck what the euro-journo's say What Jpanese car could ven come close to this any way?

It's not like the car slows down when they speak.

It's still fast, the chassis basis for the LeMans winner, laps the Nurburgring like few others, outruns the Gallardo and F430 - costs less and has the longest single model run of any sports car in history.

There loss - not our...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

".. below 5000rpm it doesn’t punch with the authority you’d think it should"

They must be mad to say something like that with all that torque..

It seems the journalists were expecting a more civilized sports car that can be driven by anyone..
Old 02-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
RC45
Regular User

Below 5000rpm? WHta a crock - unless those amatuers are sitting in 5th gear at 1200rpm and wondering why it is slow off the line?

Funny stuff - because al the eurocrats will read the articles - love the fact that the "car is slow and unresponsive" - then be all shocked and pissed that the "slow and unresponsive" car beats the crap out of them on the road, track and anywhwre else they car to go.

What a joke
Old 02-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Daggernite
Regular User

I dont really see what all the fuss is about, theres at max only two comments that aint totally in favour of the corvette, but theres nothing really bad written about it. If anything I think they like the corvette. At the end it does say that PERHAPS some european and japanese cars would be better and some twisty roads, and its true. Surely the corvette is not the fastest.

Japan has the NSX-R
Europe has the F430

Them cars are definatly more technical and could tackle a twisty challenging road better than the corvette could. I admit if there was a long straight the corvette would have the edge.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

I really cant wait for the Auto Motor und Sport Z06 Supertest..
Old 02-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Daggernite
I dont really see what all the fuss is about, theres at max only two comments that aint totally in favour of the corvette, but theres nothing really bad written about it. If anything I think they like the corvette. At the end it does say that PERHAPS some european and japanese cars would be better and some twisty roads, and its true. Surely the corvette is not the fastest.

Japan has the NSX-R
Europe has the F430

Them cars are definatly more technical and could tackle a twisty challenging road better than the corvette could. I admit if there was a long straight the corvette would have the edge.
Funny thing is that at track days the C5 Z)6 even runs rings around the NSX - and the C6 Z06 literally sucks the paint off the aluminium skin... This is a prime example of just how biased and brainwashed folks are.

It would appear that the F430 is an equal to C6 Z06 as borne out by actual track test times - yet just like happened with the 360 and 360CS people refuse to believe the possibilty that anything could possibly be anywhere near Ferrari - yet again and again over the last 6 years Porsche and Chevrolet have shown the F-Cars are NOT the ultimate tools... not by a long shot.

Again - open track challenge, track days and actual sports car racing in the USA has shown which are the best and most accomplished privateer tools - and the F-Car places no where.

Oh well - as said before, just because others don't give it credit doesn't make it any slower.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #9
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Who ever thinks the C6 Z06 isnt a serious contender for European and Japanese super sports cars is retarded or is just plain prejudice.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
Daggernite
Regular User

Ferrari are more about driving pleasure than performance in my mind aswell, dont get me wrong. But untill I see a corvette beating a F430 or CS (because the CS was the ony 360 worth praise in my mind, the standard 360 was abit slow) around a technical course I wont believe it.

I think the corvette uses leaf springs very well, but when you actually need to turn the wheel, its not going to beat the top notch chassis and suspension setups of the the NSX-R or CS/F430. Its just going to do a fairly good job until the straight comes up.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

The 'vette test driver lapped the Nordscheife at the 'Ring faster than HvS (forgot his full name, the guy that does the SA Supertests, who knows the Ring like the back of his hand) could lap it in the 430.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
Daggernite
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex
The 'vette test driver lapped the Nordscheife at the 'Ring faster than HvS (forgot his full name, the guy that does the SA Supertests, who knows the Ring like the back of his hand) could lap it in the 430.
Yeah I'm not doubting that, but I bet my ass thats only because the corvette makes up loads of time on the straight, the corvettes hugh engine will fling the car at super speed.

I'm not doubting its fast on straights. But in that article at the end it suggest the european and jap cars are better on the twisty roads. People seem to be taking badly to that comment and I dont see why?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Ferrari are more about driving pleasure than performance in my mind aswell, dont get me wrong. But untill I see a corvette beating a F430 or CS (because the CS was the ony 360 worth praise in my mind, the standard 360 was abit slow) around a technical course I wont believe it.

I think the corvette uses leaf springs very well, but when you actually need to turn the wheel, its not going to beat the top notch chassis and suspension setups of the the NSX-R or CS/F430. Its just going to do a fairly good job until the straight comes up.
See - this is just more proof of an inbread bias and prejudice...

I'm not doubting its fast on straights. But in that article at the end it suggest the european and jap cars are better on the twisty roads. People seem to be taking badly to that comment and I dont see why?
The statement is simply not true. I love how people simply assume that the non-european does not generate grip in turns, is unstable and unpredictable and needs a straight line to catch up.

I think the fact that the CS only seems to race in a single make series is probably more proof it is not really able to take Porsche or BMW or Chevrolet head on in the privateer circles..

But the CS sure makes a good poser tool to use at the local StarBucks..
Old 02-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #14
Daggernite
Regular User

Theres no biased view from me.... But maybe a Corvette owner would be Biased towards the Z06?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #15
RC45
Regular User

Theres no biased view from me.... But maybe a Corvette owner would be Biased towards the Z06?
Again - a correction, a Sportscar Owner... first.. Z06 owner second.

Your bias is clear in your statement that "you will not believe it till you see it"

I am not sure if you realise just how slow an F360 and F360CS are - it was quite sad the way I could real them in on the public roads.. talk abotu being gutless below 5,000rpm