Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-18-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default Very sad day for Historic Race Fans...

This sight is terrible... so much historic metal destroyed/bent/broken..

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

[edit]

http://www.pbase.com/atrltd/bric2005
Originally Posted by An Eyewitness to the event
I was there and the pace car wasn't going too fast. We were just coming up to the front straight from 14 so I could see it clearly as it exited for pit lane

from the people I spoke with who were there as it happend, the Jag blew it's motor just before reaching start/finish and the resuling fluid dump caused the chain reaction.

Big Cudos to the Safety Team for getting it mopped up as fast as they did. The workers really earned their keep this weekend.

http://www.roadamerica.com/2005/imag...ked/index.html
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:30 AM   #2
Minacious
Regular User

Wow, that hurts to see. What the hell happened?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:42 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

I am trying to find details of the crash.

It was the 2005 Brian Redman International Challenge from this weekend at Road America.

Looks like every car fielded was smashed in some way.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:02 AM   #4
gobs3z
Regular User

It looks like an accelerator got stuck at the start of the race, and took everything in front of it out.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:39 AM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

that hurts just to look at i an't imagine how the owners must feel

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:18 AM   #6
blah
Regular User

Damn Fords and Chevies always get into fights....

how the hell is the shleby going an opposite way from all the other cars???? WTF :shock:
Old 07-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
RC45
Regular User

http://www.pbase.com/atrltd/bric2005

More pictures and info...

Old 07-18-2005, 09:03 PM   #8
ZfrkS62
Regular User

/\ Those accounts are about as confusing as the pics. No one seemed to know what the hell was going on. Not good in a racing situation

Old 07-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Well - this seems like the most "official" version...

"I was the operating steward for this race. The pace car did what was the right thing to do. We gave them instructions for each group. The two pole guys admitted to running up the hill at 5000 rpm in 3rd gear. The fifth place guy was racing well before the green flag and tryed to force his way between the wall and the car in front of him. He started scraping the wall and the guy behind him checked up and the car that hit him started to spin and then it was one after another into them. I am amazed that no one was killed. All the drivers except two had hans devices.

The green flag was in deed thrown. I red flagged the race with in 3 seconds of the green. Even with the red flag the drivers in the back just keep driving into the rear. The red was shown at corner 15(the walk over bridge). The drivers just did not pay attention. All drivers were forced to attend a meeting right after the incident. They were all yelled at. Interesting that in a few classes they are not allowed to pass until after turn 1 (Historic Gran Prix) and turn 3 for Can Am. One historic Gran Prix driver was banned from their series for life due to an incident in the kink.

I have to agree that the drivers in this group are some of the most agressive drivers I have ever seen. More distrubing to me were how many fist fights started after drivers started getting out of there cars. I feel that if they were able to get out they should have been happy they could even move after a incident like this.

I was very happy with how all of our crews came together to work in the heat. We had a steady flow of water for all the rescue crews, ambulance crews and wrecker crews while they were working in over 90 degree heat. What a great team.

Mike Engelke"
Looks like a case of a bunch of rich poser wannabe race drivers that all let their egos and bank balances rule th day...
Old 07-18-2005, 09:57 PM   #10
graywolf624
Regular User

What is the white car on the back of the tow truck. Its in the back of my mind and I know Im gonna kick myself.. but what is it.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:59 PM   #11
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Well - this seems like the most "official" version...

"I was the operating steward for this race. The pace car did what was the right thing to do. We gave them instructions for each group. The two pole guys admitted to running up the hill at 5000 rpm in 3rd gear. The fifth place guy was racing well before the green flag and tryed to force his way between the wall and the car in front of him. He started scraping the wall and the guy behind him checked up and the car that hit him started to spin and then it was one after another into them. I am amazed that no one was killed. All the drivers except two had hans devices.

The green flag was in deed thrown. I red flagged the race with in 3 seconds of the green. Even with the red flag the drivers in the back just keep driving into the rear. The red was shown at corner 15(the walk over bridge). The drivers just did not pay attention. All drivers were forced to attend a meeting right after the incident. They were all yelled at. Interesting that in a few classes they are not allowed to pass until after turn 1 (Historic Gran Prix) and turn 3 for Can Am. One historic Gran Prix driver was banned from their series for life due to an incident in the kink.

I have to agree that the drivers in this group are some of the most agressive drivers I have ever seen. More distrubing to me were how many fist fights started after drivers started getting out of there cars. I feel that if they were able to get out they should have been happy they could even move after a incident like this.

I was very happy with how all of our crews came together to work in the heat. We had a steady flow of water for all the rescue crews, ambulance crews and wrecker crews while they were working in over 90 degree heat. What a great team.

Mike Engelke"
Looks like a case of a bunch of rich poser wannabe race drivers that all let their egos and bank balances rule th day...
What the hell is point of being that aggressive in a class which there is not real reason to be. Especially with cars that are irreplaceble These morons should be lined up and shot :x

Gray- It looks a bit like an early 60's 'Vette Roadster

Old 07-18-2005, 10:04 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

Rich ego's are like that -- I have seen some of the F-Car and Porker guys at Texas World Speedway - and there i no way you want to be on the track at the same time unless you have buckets of money put your car back together.

They have run extremely aggresiveley the couple times I have been to watch - way more aggressive than amateurs aught to - and these were just Track Day events.. I can only imagine the egos running at the BRIC events.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:09 PM   #13
graywolf624
Regular User

Gray- It looks a bit like an early 60's 'Vette Roadster
I might be wrong but I dont think it is. I think its something abit rarer.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:11 PM   #14
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
What is the white car on the back of the tow truck. Its in the back of my mind and I know Im gonna kick myself.. but what is it.
This one?

We can only hope it's not one of the ZL1 Vettes. Hopeflly it's "only" an L88.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:12 PM   #15
ZfrkS62
Regular User

hard to really tell but i'm looking at the sharp line down the side. I know there wre a couple cars that had that line, but that's the one that seems to stick out quite a bit.

Anyone got any other theories?