Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-17-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default GM coughs up 7m43s time for C6 Z06...

I'll post something before the monkey brigade comes rolling though.

Dave Hill, Chief ENgineer (basically Mr Modern Corvette) for the Corvette program announced last night that the official time GM is making public for the C6 Z06 is 7m43s for a flying lap pf the Nurburgring.

In a bizarre turn about he also announced the C6 time, as being 7m59s - yet it was he whom is accredited with announcing that the C6 time was 7m56s... so there you have the C6 time, amazingly slowing down by 3s after a year.

Interestingly this "3s" movement is the same amount by which the reported time is slower, than the first leaked 7m40s

So - which is it? The car is slower, GM can't operated a stop watch, Dave Hill is getting senile and can't remember shit from a couple weeks ago
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
graywolf624
Regular User

lol.. I have pretty good faith these times are correct only because from a context of whats been done to the cars they are the right ballpark. (ignoring whether the other car was a blue devil, which I doubt they are that far along with it personally).
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Just_me
Regular User

With all respect but I rather listen Sportauto than carmanufacturs. BMW claim that the M5 can do it in 8 min but I could care less. That not the time Sportuato got.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
graywolf624
Regular User

Sport auto is a) not professional drivers.. b) haven't run the zo6.

Between the two I think youll have to settle for this for the time being.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
T-Bird
Regular User

hey now atleast there is an official time for the Z06 even if it is 3 secs slower than the actual time reported a few weeks ago it's still a damn good time and I'm sure they could shave a few secs off that time.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
SFDMALEX
Regular User

whats the problem? Its still damn fast...you boys are gonna go nuts over 3 sec?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
whats the problem? Its still damn fast...you boys are gonna go nuts over 3 sec?
No - I am going nuts over the fact that yet again, info from a GM source oddly slips anorther way.

For the longest time Dave Hill swore blind (well not quite - but he proudly announced it at a number of events) the C6 was a 7m56s lapper. Now he says it's a 7m59s lapper?

It is quite possible he mispoke - and if so ar we sure about anything else him and his crew have reported
Old 07-17-2005, 01:09 PM   #8
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Anyway since when do you Americans care so much about how fast your car can go around some eurotrash circuit

Should be lapping at Daytona in that thing, not Nordschleife.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 01:13 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Anyway since when do you Americans care so much about how fast your car can go around some eurotrash circuit

Should be lapping at Daytona in that thing, not Nordschleife.
Unfortunatly some marketing MBA (take note gray - just cause you know marketing doesn't mean you gonna know what's best for the product and enthusiasts ) decided that the car needs to be dulled down and poofta-ed up to sell to the Porker and Beemer crowd over there.

The NS laps are to make the car better, the in dash ghetto pimp DVD and "brushed alloy" panels are to attract the eurocrats
Old 07-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624

Sportauto use a professional driver. He been driving Rallye and racing cars for more than 20 years. He hold officiell the record for fastest sërieproduced car at the ring, Carrera GT. Sportauto and Horst von Saurma is wellknown around the world.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...porsche/1.html

No pro??? Your just fooling yourself.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:42 PM   #11
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by Just_me
Originally Posted by graywolf624

Sportauto use a professional driver. He been driving Rallye and racing cars for more than 20 years. He hold officiell the record for fastest sërieproduced car at the ring, Carrera GT. Sportauto and Horst von Saurma is wellknown around the world.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...porsche/1.html

No pro??? Your just fooling yourself.
... iīm 110% with u here - HvS is definitely among the top drivers and especially at NS...
furthermore heīs - or better said Sport Autoīs Supertest - the one and only accepted lap time source on NS and iīm definitely on the side of those saying "letīs wait for a SA time and then talk..."

itīs all about comparableness - what do we know about a "own" Porsche, BMW, MB, GM...... with "xy" as a driver ...!?

itīs surely nice talking about it but in the end at least german industry pool relies on SA and HvS and so do i...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:07 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

^^ Just as long as you and don't ask HvS to "sand bag" and put in a slow 7m57s lap hehehe
Old 07-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #13
pharzo
Regular User

Maybe they wanted to slow down the z06 so that when they release the "blue devil" time it'll stand out even more...?

Don't know why the c6 would suddenly get slower though...perhaps it's because a 6 is like a 9...but inverted :spaz:

Or maybe it's something to do with the tyres...7m40s with some sporty rubber, and 7m43s with the runflats?

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:43 PM   #14
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger

... iīm 110% with u here - HvS is definitely among the top drivers and especially at NS...
furthermore heīs - or better said Sport Autoīs Supertest - the one and only accepted lap time source on NS and iīm definitely on the side of those saying "letīs wait for a SA time and then talk..."

itīs all about comparableness - what do we know about a "own" Porsche, BMW, MB, GM...... with "xy" as a driver ...!?

itīs surely nice talking about it but in the end at least german industry pool relies on SA and HvS and so do i...
Any scans and great review about Corvette C6 by Sportauto???
Old 07-17-2005, 03:54 PM   #15
pharzo
Regular User

So RC, i just went a lurked a little on the z06vette forums...and some guy named andy seems to think that the "blue devil" laps in 7m40s, and the z06 7m43s. Apparently he's some kind of "insider"...and apparently he has been saying for a little while now that the z06 official time will be 7m43s...?

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote