Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Scale Models

Scale Models Discuss your model collections in here inc R/C models

Old 07-27-2004, 08:25 PM   #16
sameerrao
Regular User

Three new cars today:

18. 1:43 Mercedes Benz W154 - 1938 - Rudolf Caracciola - Brumm
Model Rating: 3/10 - wheels dont rotate easily, interior is plain
Worth buying? Not really. It is worth saving up for the CMC models of the same car - but that is mucho bucks - $120 or so. I took the cheaper option and regret it.

Auto Union on left and MB on right

19. 1:43 Auto Union Type C - 1936 - Brumm
Model Rating: 3/10 - wheels dont rotate easily, interior is plain
Worth buying? Not really. It is worth saving up for the CMC models of the same car - but that is mucho bucks - $120 or so. I took the cheaper option and regret it.

20. 1:43 Ferrari 156 - Phil Hill - 1916 - Brumm
Model Rating: 5/10 - wheels dont rotate easily, interior is better than the other two
Worth buying? Yes if you are a fan of old Ferraris. This is the famous sharknose v6 Ferrari with which Phil became the first US F1 champion

I think in future I am sticking to 1:18 and 1:32 (slots) only

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:15 AM   #17
TT
Regular User

Hell dude, your collection is growing quite fast!
Old 07-28-2004, 11:06 AM   #18
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Hell dude, your collection is growing quite fast!
These are the ones that I mentioned were on order in my first post - I have 3 more Ferraris coming this weekend and then I will stop 1:43s for sure and stick to a few more slot cars or 1:18s.

The ones I still want are:
Mclaren F1 - road car or LM
Ferrari 330 P4
1:18 Ferrari 512S to complement my Porsche 917

Then I will stop for a long while and let the bank account recuperate .

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 07-28-2004, 12:54 PM   #19
sameerrao
Regular User

Guess what the postman brought me today minutes after I wrote the above comments...

21. 1:18 Ferrari 250 LM - 1964 - Mattel
Model Rating: 9.5/10 - Excellent detailing. Lot of nice touches like a prop rod to hold the trunk up. exquisite engine detailing. Nearly Perfect IMO ....
Worth buying? Yes definitely

22. 1:18 Ferrari 250 GTO - 1962 - Mattel
Model Rating: 9.5/10 - Excellent detailing. A nice touch includes working catches on the hood that can be slipped to the side to open the engine bay. I like the spare wheel stuffed in the rear. This car in reality is an art sculpture on wheels and one of the automotive icons of the century. I am humbled to own a small of it.

22. 1:18 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 - 197X - Mattel
Model Rating: 9/10 - Excellent detailing. Proud forebearer to today's 575M. Was the ultimate GT in its time. Model is nicely detailed - engine bay is cool with its carbs highlighted -though it not as exquisite as the LM or GTO.

The three together

From the front ...

.. and the back (look at the curves up front on the GTO and LM.. drool..)

And last but not least an invoice from Ferrari SPa out of Modena. About the only time I will ever buy something new from the "factory"

Old 07-28-2004, 01:18 PM   #20
TT
Regular User

Nice 250 GTO you need the racing version now
Old 07-28-2004, 03:19 PM   #21
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
I know what you mean - something like yours ... But, I normally don't want more than 1 of each car model. So for now one will do. Unless maybe I find a slot car version of it....

This would be nice too.. A 250 GT SWB - Actually I want the Rob Walker version - silver with a blue stripe

A pontoon fendered TR is also on my watch list

Old 07-28-2004, 11:33 PM   #22
stradale
Regular User

You definately shouldn't stop buying 1:43s... Brumm doesn't have the models that truly represent the 1:43 scale. BTW, who cares whether "wheels dont rotate easily" on a model car? It is supposed to be stationary in the first place.

There are 1:43 GTOs, LMs and Daytonas that easily put the detailing of the 1:18 Mattel models to shame.

I'm sure there are other excellent models of the marvellous Ferrari 156 out there.

Strangely, the better quality models you want, the smaller the scale...
Old 07-29-2004, 01:13 AM   #23
RC45
Regular User

Blame me for introducing Sameer to detailed cars that move..

I am about to begin selling all my 1:43 scale cars.

The added dimension of being able to see the cars move (as in slot cars) is what I have been looking for over the last 8 years or so.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:44 AM   #24
SFDMALEX
Regular User

So you want an all slot car collection now?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:44 AM   #25
sameerrao
Regular User

You definately shouldn't stop buying 1:43s... Brumm doesn't have the models that truly represent the 1:43 scale. BTW, who cares whether "wheels dont rotate easily" on a model car? It is supposed to be stationary in the first place.

There are 1:43 GTOs, LMs and Daytonas that easily put the detailing of the 1:18 Mattel models to shame.

I'm sure there are other excellent models of the marvellous Ferrari 156 out there.

Strangely, the better quality models you want, the smaller the scale...
Stradale ... A question to you.... do the good quality 1:43s have operating doors
and trunk and steering? I am still new to model cars so i dont really know. the only other issue I have with 1:43 is that they are too small for me (after all size does matter )

Because if it doesnt have these features it is useless to me. I freely admit I like to open it up and admire the details of the cars. I like to see it in motion too with appopriate sounds "wheee ... shift ... whee ..shift ... whee ..." --> thats me supplying the sound by the way.

My current stand on scale cars is either I will get finely detailed cars with operating parts or I get finely detailed slot cars w/o operating doors, etc but the compensation that it drives on a circuit....

Old 07-29-2004, 01:55 AM   #26
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
The added dimension of being able to see the cars move (as in slot cars) is what I have been looking for over the last 8 years or so.

That's just what I am thinking too ... it is almost a win-win situation ... the cars are nicely detailed - you can keep them as display items and then when you feel the need you can drive it on the circuit.

And as RC showed me the other day, you can put magnets appropraitely on the car to simulate the cars driving behaviour to a small degree. E.g. for a Canam car make it tail happy (no magnet) or for a AWD car put a magnet up front to have more stable grip...

There are two demerits in my mind 1) Too many details adds to the weight of the car making it slower than the pure racers. But this is OK if you are not intending on seeing it race but just want to see it move under its own power. 2) Too fine a design may make you scared to race it in fear od breaking off a mirror or something.

Nothings perfect ...

Old 07-29-2004, 02:09 AM   #27
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
So you want an all slot car collection now?
Pretty much.

SOme folks have 1:43 slot cars - and they convert diecasts using the few 1:43 motors chassis and wheels available. I thought about it - and there is 0.1% chance I may go that rought- but, the thought of having to literally hand build each slot car is kind of daunting.

I have yet to see a decent 1:43 slot car with regard to wheel details etc.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:07 AM   #28
SilviaEvo
Regular User

hmmm who has that one?
Old 07-29-2004, 11:29 AM   #29
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by SilviaEvo
hmmm who has that one?
TT - see his posted collection

Old 08-14-2004, 08:32 PM   #30
sameerrao
Regular User

OK .. got these three cars last week

24. 1:18 Auto Union Type C World Record Car - Revell AG
Streamlined version used for the speed records. Driven by Bernd Rosemayer. one of the all-time greats... Had a cover over the wheels during the record attempt for less drag...
Model Rating: 9.5/10 - Very realistic - Nicely done dash - check out the painted rev-counter
Worth buying? Yes ... if you like 30s GP cars this should be on your list.

I have put my 1:43 road racing version of Auto Union for a contrast

25. 1:18 Lamborghini Diablo SV - Maisto
Model Rating: 9.0/10 - Realistic. Spring suspension. The door frames dont open up all the way like the Murcielago (see page 1 to compare)
Worth buying? Yes ... The black and blue SVs look nice...

26. 1:18 Ferrari 250 Lusso - Mattel
Model Rating: 9.5/10 - Sweet shape. Pretty accurately rendered except the engine bay which looks like it built to a price.
Worth buying? Yes

There are 11 more nice cars headed my way in the mail. Am eagerly waiting them. Unfortunately as I am infected by the same "reluctance-to-reveal-details" virus that has hit St-Anger, I cannot tell you what cars are coming....

Will be needing to get some shelving - my computer desk is out of space..