Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 04-23-2004, 08:57 AM   #16
callen
Regular User

Originally Posted by adamrotor
....just one note that i noticed on alot of forums its funny how alot of people dont bother reading through threads they just go on with their comments.
this is true, but ull find this is one forum wher many people do read the others posts, and not just look at the pictures. if u look around here at the amount of qoutes, ull catch my drift. what does a carbon fibre hood cost? i would never want to leave it unpainted, too ricey for me, but i might do something to make the weave visible thru the paint, or leave a strip down the middle somehow.....like with the last z06.... i like that one
Old 04-23-2004, 08:58 AM   #17
Vansquish
Regular User

With that Commemorative Z06, they actually did more than just make the hood out of CF...they actually designed it so that the fibers would run in a specific direction...something that hadn't been done before if memory serves me.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:23 PM   #18
adamrotor
Regular User

Well the cf hood that i got was at bulk buy at its first time being released for the probe, so i got very discretly cheap 297$ but now it can run up to 500$. I also believe it depends on the brand of the car how expensive it will turn out.
Well the ford probe does have a jdm spec motor which is pushing 200 hp stock on a 6 cyl and 170 on a 4cyl, the us spec version 6cyl has 170 hp so that just tell ya that the car is under powered. But goin back to the comment about having the kit for the probe, one thing being me having geting the cosmetic upgrades rather than performance was due to lack of performance parts distributors for the probe. Now theirs actually a great deal of market out there for them. Turbo kits and all even na mods. I know of one probe thats runing around the midwest somewhere pickling on moded camaro ss and ws 6's. A guy inchicago actually is transpanting a1st gen motor to the 2nd gen probe just due to the fact that the 1st gen can be tuned very quick. so that my 2 cent
adamrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:13 PM   #19
Vansquish
Regular User

I hate to tell you this, but the jdm V6 in the Probe is precisely the same engine that it had in the US and all other markets. It was rated at 200bhp in Japan because Mazda wanted to make the car look more appealing to buyers, but it was never anywhere close to that. It made 170bhp and 167lb-ft of torque in Japan, and in the US and everywhere else it was sold. The 4-banger was even worse, it only made 113bhp, no more no less. Don't believe everything you read, especially from Asian car companies when it comes to outputs, they tend to be kind of screwy.

My dad has told me of many business meetings that he went to where the Americans asked the Japanese members of the team where the 200bhp engine was. They invariably said something along the lines of, "we're working on it" and it stayed that way until my dad pulled aside the chief powertrain engineer and asked him flat out what was going on. The guy told him that the V6 in the Probe GT/24v WAS the 200bhp engine and that Mazda had no intent to increase the output. Needless to say there was only 1 FoMoCo-built 200bhp Probe, and the engine is still lying in a warehouse in Dearborn, but the car it was installed in is long since destroyed. The Probe was highly overrated, just like the MX-6 when it came to power in the Japanese market, but the engines were no different than any of the other export markets. Not even on the special-edition GTS.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:02 AM   #20
Kangaroo Boy
Regular User

I like it.Kind looks like a RX7 front.Well done..
Old 04-24-2004, 03:27 AM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish
With that Commemorative Z06, they actually did more than just make the hood out of CF...they actually designed it so that the fibers would run in a specific direction...something that hadn't been done before if memory serves me.
Not quite as fancy/sophisticated as it sounds though - the Z16 hood is simply a CF version of the stock hood.

Note that the C5 is not made of the traditional matt/resin process, but rather a chopped matt/resin matrix/mastic - almost a "fibreglass paste" if you will.

A similar process is followed for the CF hood, that mates an outside skin of prepreg and an inside panel of CF and regular SMC - that "cool carbon fibre" matt you see on the hood between the silver and red is just a "ricer style" fake carbon fibre sticker... :roll:

GM is far to cheap and stupid to do commerative editions correctly.

These are unfortunatly always "sales and marketing MBA types" that simply "sticker up" a bunch of cars and sell them at a markup to the "gold chain, hair dresser and cruiser" crowd...

*shrug*

Specifically developed for the Corvette, the Commemorative Edition Z06 hood achieves a higher level of exterior finish quality than previous automotive applications of carbon fiber. On most carbon fiber parts, the woven pattern of the material is easily seen beneath the exterior finish. To diminish that effect and preserve the rich LeMans Blue paint finish, on the Commemorative Edition Z06 the carbon fibers are aligned in a single direction. The only visual cue that the hood is made from carbon fiber is in the red border surrounding the silver graphic on the car, which is arranged in a woven pattern signifying the material that lies underneath. The overall result is a finish consistent with the rest of the car that gives just a slight hint at the carbon fiber construction.
This "press release" info makes it sound like something really unique - but having observed it close up, it is nothing more than a smooth finish CF hood (and $2000 more than a good aftermarket one) with a "fake" CF sticker on it.

They totally missed the point that enthusiasts may actually appreciate the carbon fibre weave showing through..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:20 PM   #22
sameerrao
Regular User

Damn I was super excited when I saw the headline PGT - I was thinking Carrera GT

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote