Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 10-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
TNT
Regular User

Default HD usage

How much space do you all use in a given month or some amount of time. I am looking at getting an external harddrive here soon but i don't know how much i should get. a TB i think should be enough but being a graphic designer but would 1000GB get used quickly? i will download movies and not just my project work.

But what is your usage?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
jadeddjay
Regular User

after my backup drive [of quite a few years] crashed... i am sticking with a couple 250gbs and backing everything else up to dvd. you cant possibly need 1tb of stuff so urgently that you need to keep them in a hd at all times. i keep important stuff that i use everyday/week and back up everything else that i use rarely into dvd
Old 10-04-2006, 11:51 PM   #3
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I usualy dont exceed 220gb.

I have 570gb of space in total though...

These days I watch somethinfg and I delete it.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:07 AM   #4
Sir_GT
Regular User

Default Re: HD usage

Originally Posted by TNT
How much space do you all use in a given month or some amount of time. I am looking at getting an external harddrive here soon but i don't know how much i should get. a TB i think should be enough but being a graphic designer but would 1000GB get used quickly? i will download movies and not just my project work.

But what is your usage?
500GB is plenty. You only need 1TB if you're editing videos. Even if you DL movies, you should just back them up on DVD and forget about it 'till needed.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
TNT
Regular User

yeah good point about the DVDs/CDs for backups. yeah i was just kind of worried b/c i used 40GB very fast on my current laptop. but i may look into a good cost vs size on something a little smaller, but the thing its i can get a TB for 550-750 dollars. so even if i wont use all of it i could back up anything and everything.

But if a 500GB is that much cheaper then i may just get that until i need more.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
TopGearNL
Regular User

I have 250 GB internal on my pc, will get 100 GB extra on my laptop that Ill be getting, but still that won't be enough so will be getting a External HD too :roll:
Old 10-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by TNT
yeah good point about the DVDs/CDs for backups. yeah i was just kind of worried b/c i used 40GB very fast on my current laptop. but i may look into a good cost vs size on something a little smaller, but the thing its i can get a TB for 550-750 dollars. so even if i wont use all of it i could back up anything and everything.

But if a 500GB is that much cheaper then i may just get that until i need more.
Wouldnt 500GB and an external 350GB back up be far better (and significantly cheaper)?

350GB for important archives, finished work, etc., while the 500GB can have everything on the 350GB + data that you're planning to change/delete.

I've learned my lesson with regards to stuffing everything into a single HDD. All it took was one slight power surge and *poof*... you lose everything.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
TNT
Regular User

well i have 80GB on harddrive now, and i can't really upgrade my laptop nor do i want to. I am just trying to have to buy one to last me for some time. The power surge isn't a problem b/c i always at least double surge protector my important electronics. But i mainly want to try and keep most of my info off of my computer so in the event that something happens to my laptop i can still have all my files and then get a replacement.

do you think it would be cheaper to just get a few smaller HDs that add up to 1TB or more or just buy the single TB? what would be more secure for data, better for lost prevention, etc?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Dude if it were me, I would just get a few 250 gig HDD's. Cheaper too I bet. Also if the 1TB drive fails you lose all your shit but with a few HDD's if one fails you know it's time to start backing up your shit because chances are they might fail in a month or two.

Like the old saying:
Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
By: Unknown
Old 10-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
jadeddjay
Regular User

drives will fail more easily than you think. back up to dvd, theres no need to spend all that money on a huge thing that spins at 7200rpm all day in which you keep your digital life saved
Old 10-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #11
TNT
Regular User

yeah but then i have to get DVD cases and all that to hold them.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #12
jadeddjay
Regular User

less risk. or get bluray hddvd etc
its coming : )

http://www.supermediastore.com/pione...HDW02X0021-001

but in all seriousness... you have to be crazy if you think you can get away with getting a backup drive without backing that one up onto dvd... that drive will fail. its only a matter of time. it will not last forever. well neither will dvds but i hear the gold ones are good for like 100 years or something ridiculous like that
Old 10-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #13
TNT
Regular User

but you need a HD/Bluray reader and i do not have that. so CDs are the most effective ways to store my data right now. but i am thinking of getting a few smaller ones like maybe this set up.

http://www.maxstore.com/product.asp?sku=2929921

http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/Basics_Basic/

it is Mac compatible even though it doesn't say it on the store page.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #14
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Well the bottom line is that you should only have enough space for work, never storage.

Drives fail. More easily then back in the day. Bigfoots work to this day the new shite can go bust in a month or in 2 years, but its going bust.

Documents etc should always be backed up to dvd or cdr media.

So people having 1TB and using that as storage....I dunno, I would never do that. Anything important in this house always goes on CDs.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #15
jadeddjay
Regular User

agreed