Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-18-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
Dubai
Regular User

Default New iPod Nano

Finally, here in Dubai, We got it in stock.

So, After testing it all night + a morning workout with my Nike+iPod. It was cool and refreshing.

Several things got updated/Changed.

Packaging: Small, clear hard plastic. Light, and see Throu. NICE! Although it does not look like an apple product (Black box with dominant Apple logo) next to my collection of Mac boxes, but I'm sure that I will get over it once the new product line fill up my room

CD: No CD's this time, Apple, assuming you got web access, and you can download iTune 7.

Design: Aluminum finish, which means better scratch resistance.

Screen Resolution: It is bright, Well! Very Bright

Ear plug: Enhanced look, more organic, and very MAC'ish.

Size: Although looks small, it is actually exact size.

Colors: More options, Silver, Blue, Pink!!! Green, and of course our favorite Black! I like the Silver because it matching with 20" cinema display 12" G4. Excellent!

GB: They vary from
2GB - Only Silver
4Gb - Silver, Blue, Pink, Green
8GB - Only Black

Conclusion: The nano is basically a mini re designed. A retro look. I'm happy that I bough it, Funky, Sick & cool to have in the GYM. It is a must for a Mac Lovers to have in there collection. But when will iFever stop.

Dubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Mattk
Regular User

I once started talking to a girl and after a while she decided to listen to her iPod Nano. It kinda went very steeply downhill from there.

Nevertheless, I think it is a very cool piece of equipment and one of the only good things to emerge out of Apple.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
5vz-fe
Regular User

I like the the nano, but I really hate to install software inorder to download songs to the player.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Dubai
Regular User

Hey come on! Download iTune 7, It Looks AMAZING now.. This is just been released few days back. and insert your best album in... Few min, it's in ur nano.. Simple.....

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Dubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

As 5vz-fe stated, it sucks that you have to use a program to load songs onto the playerr.

Itunes blows.. that is, unless you like to pay for music

I am very happy with my iAudio X5L.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
TopGearNL
Regular User

Looks ok, I have a Green Ipod Mini and don't care that it hasn't got a colourscreen, why should it, its for music isn't it?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
5vz-fe
Regular User

Creative Zen V Plus looks pretty alright also.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:21 AM   #8
Mattk
Regular User

umm, ipods, nanos and shuffles are all over hyped!!
As players yes, as fashion staples, no. People just buy them because they think they look cool with it.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
Toronto
Regular User

the nano is stupid. plain and simple for the same price you can get the 30gig iPod.

i go the 80gig iPod (74gigs of space on it in the real world) and i'am somewhat happy with it. for the same price a couple of years ago i got a 20gig ipod but and the new headphones suck (doesn't matter to me i have e3c's). it still doesn't play flac (but apple lossless is ok). doesn't come with a charger (but it does come with a sleeve case)
Old 09-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
evoWalo
Regular User

I just gotten hold of my iPod nano a few moments ago and will be doing a short review on it.

The iPod in my posession right now is a black 8GB iPod nano. It came with a USB data cable, updated white earphones, dock adaptor & Quick Start manual. It was packed into a clear plastic case resembling one used by watches sold today.

The black nano at first glance looks like an iPod knock-off that you can find in many many local malls & flea markets these days. It is only upon touching it and using it a bit do you realize this is one piece of equipment that was well thought out and well made.

The original iPod nano used the same plastic & clear coating technology that made scratches visible enough to cause a lawsuit. This is my guess as to why Apple decided to reuse and shrink down the discontinued iPod mini anodized aluminum cases to wrap around the second generation iPod nano. The downside I see with this change here is that oils like olive oil & oils generated by the human body makes itself evident on the iPod nano's body. You can clean it off though so no fear with a clean cloth.

iTunes 7 on both Windows XP Pro & OS X 104.6 Tiger detected it flawlessly. I chose Windows file format to allow cross platform sharing of files. Transfering of data worth 7.2GB took about 40-60 minutes to complete to and from PC to Mac. If data transfer speeds is an issue you may want to get the previous iPod nano or a full-sized 30GB iPod. As of this writing I am still transfering the 7.2GB of data from Windows to a Mac. Will comment further on the data transfer via iTunes once the current transfer is done.

As the 30GB iPod & 8GB iPod nano share same price point of $249 their has been some debate on what to get. If you want the ability to watch video, play games, big LCD & space to spare then get the 30GB iPod. If physical dimension is an issue, you dont want something spinning inside, want 24 hr battery life, carry only songs you'll listen too within 24 hrs and want an exclusive color then the 8GB iPod nano is your bit.

Will post pics later cause it's 3AM.