Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #1201
SHIZL
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 276
Default

not looking good
SILVERSTONE, England (AP) -- Eight Formula One teams began preparations for a rival series after failing to resolve their dispute with motor sport's governing body over financial constraints on Friday.
Ferrari, which has participated since the first season in 1950, and current leader Brawn GP headed the list of Formula One Teams' Association members to announce the split ahead of Sunday's British Grand Prix.
FOTA, which also includes McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso, said it would not compromise on the quality of the series by signing up unconditionally for the 2010 F1 season under the FIA's plans for cost-cutting. The FIA's deadline for entry was later Friday.
FOTA's statement criticized the FIA's "uncompromising" stance and attempts, along with the commercial rights holder Formula One Management, to divide its member teams.
As it stands, Williams and Force India will be the only current teams on the F1 starting grid next season while three new outfits -- Campos Racing, Team US F1 and Manor F1 Team -- are also due to enter.
FIA president Max Mosley was insistent on introducing a voluntary $60 million budget cap for teams to curtail a "financial arms race" in F1. Those that don't agree to the cap would have more technical restrictions, something Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo had called "fundamentally unfair."
Now F1 looks set to lose some of its biggest names, including championship leader Jenson Button of Brawn.
"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 world championship," FOTA said after a meeting near Silverstone. "These teams, therefore, have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners.
"This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders. The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."
FOTA said its efforts to remain part of Mosley's series had been hampered by the FIA's approach to negotiations.
"The FIA and the commercial rights holder have campaigned to divide FOTA," the group said. "The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006.
"Despite this, and the uncompromising environment, FOTA has genuinely sought compromise."
Amid the global economic downturn, FOTA said it has already embarked on substantial cost-cutting.
The independent Brawn GP team only rose from the ashes of Honda after the Japanese automaker pulled out of F1 late last year as it was forced to focus on its core business. Yet now Button and Brawn teammate Rubens Barrichello occupy the top two spots in the drivers' standings going into Sunday's race.
"FOTA is proud that it has achieved the most substantial measures to reduce costs in the history of our sport," the statement said. "In particular, the manufacturer teams have provided assistance to the independent teams, a number of which would probably not be in the sport today without the FOTA initiatives. The FOTA teams have further agreed upon a substantial voluntary cost reduction that provides a sustainable model for the future."
The drivers had already been preparing for radical developments to emerge from Thursday's FOTA talks.
Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso made it clear in the paddock on Thursday that he would leave F1 if his Renault team pulled out of F1.
"For me the new Formula One would be unattractive, with the small teams and no drivers," Alonso said. "We want to compete with the best teams in the world, the maximum technology: We all want to compete with the best drivers.
"If this is not what Formula One is about next year, then it will be another category with that. I won't retire, I will drive for another championship."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...si_motorsports
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #1202
5vz-fe
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,167
Default

How would you expect teams in different country all using the same budget. There are wage differences. Maybe FIA should also have a budget cap. Take away the private jet from Mosley.
__________________
5vz-fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #1203
SHIZL
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 276
Default

seems to be too late for that but yes maybe something for the new series to think about
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:49 AM   #1204
5vz-fe
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,167
Default

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090619....eries-for-2010
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...19083747.shtml

FOTA statement in full
“Since the formation of FOTA last September the teams have worked together and sought to engage the FIA and commercial rights holder, to develop and improve the sport.

“Unprecedented worldwide financial turmoil has inevitably placed great challenges before the F1 community. FOTA is proud that it has achieved the most substantial measures to reduce costs in the history of our sport.

“In particular the manufacturer teams have provided assistance to the independent teams, a number of which would probably not be in the sport today without the FOTA initiatives. The FOTA teams have further agreed upon a substantial voluntary cost reduction that provides a sustainable model for the future.

“Following these efforts all the teams have confirmed to the FIA and the commercial rights holder that they are willing to commit until the end of 2012.

“The FIA and the commercial rights holder have campaigned to divide FOTA.

“The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006. Despite this and the uncompromising environment, FOTA has genuinely sought compromise.

“It has become clear however, that the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship.

“These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new Championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners. This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

“The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series.”
Yup...all hell break loose. RIP F1. We might have to change our forum section to a different name LOL
__________________

Last edited by 5vz-fe; 06-19-2009 at 03:40 AM.
5vz-fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #1205
turpija
Regular User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 195
Default

renault had been suspended from next race which is ironic becouse next race is in valencia

the penalty was becouse alonso lost the wheel which wasn't properly fitted on a car, IMO this decision to penalize them is BS
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #1206
mts6800
Regular User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 49
Default

I think Renault deserved a penalty but suspension was too harsh. I think a fine was more in order.

Apparently the team is suspended but Alonso may be allowed to race if he can get a ride. So in effect they say Alonso has no blame but Alonso is punished because of the Renault suspension.

Hopefully the appeal will find more intelligent people who will change the suspension to a fine.
mts6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #1207
turpija
Regular User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 195
Default

Bmw will quit F1 at the end of 2009

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77400

and rumors started that kubica might replace kovolainen in mclaren next year
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #1208
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Managua, Nicaragua
Posts: 1,509
Default

Confirmed! Alonso to Ferrari for 3 seasons!

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/...for-3-seasons/

So it finally came true, Alonso is racing for Ferrari... muy thoughts are with Massa though, Alonso has proved that he is not a team player and he likes to be treated like a princess, I really hope Ferrari does not do this and leave Massa as #2 driver, he has the pontential and the talent to be World Champion...
Raikonen will probably end up at McLaren again...
__________________

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #1209
zeus_2011
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 248
Default

^^^^I for one am definitely looking forward to that bit of news
zeus_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #1210
Juho
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 103
Default

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...residency.html

Yes?
No?
Maybe so?
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #1211
Ghostbat
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,497
Default

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10911042...e-made-shortly

Toyota says bye bye.. Not very surprisingly considering their total lack of success.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #1212
nthfinity
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Detroit
Posts: 9,929
Default

Originally Posted by Ghostbat View Post
http://www.worldcarfans.com/10911042...e-made-shortly

Toyota says bye bye.. Not very surprisingly considering their total lack of success.
Just read that. Not surprising, especially with them never winning a single race! How is it that so much could be spent without success?

Next year will prove interesting. I remember just a few years ago, people were worried that F1 was becoming too high of a budget where only MFR's could perform, or afford the series.... now BMW is gone, and so is Toyota and Ford a while ago now.
__________________
www.nthimage.com
Car photography website
nthfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #1213
fordgt84
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 523
Default

It's official, Michael Schumacher is coming back to F1.

Michael Schumacher has signed for the Mercedes-Benz Formula One team.
Schumacher's F1 return comes after three years in retirement, having stopped racing in F1 at the end of 2006. He will be 41 in January.


Schumacher said: "The motivation is pretty straightforward. I got a call from Ross (Brawn, team principal) at the beginning of November asking me to race again, telling me Mercedes were going to be involved.
"I've never left the race track, and after three years I regained the energy I'm feeling now. After playing around on motorbikes, I'm ready for the serious stuff."
Germany's Bild newspaper is reporting that he has signed a one-year deal with options for further years depending on performance. He is reported to be earning seven million euros (6.2m) - a relatively modest salary compared to the sport's highest earners, such as Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton, who reports suggest could be earning two to three times as much.


Last season he came close to a sensational mid-season comeback when he was asked to fill-in for the injured Felipe Massa at Ferrari.
However, those plans were scuppered by a neck injury that he had picked up in a motorcycle crash earlier in the year. He says that injury is no longer a problem.
He said: "Before giving the final okay, I had to make sure my neck was okay. It wasn't okay in the summer, but it's had the time to heal completely."
During his previous 16 seasons in the sport, Schumacher contested 249 grands prix, breaking virtually every record in the sport. He has won the most world titles (seven); most race victories (91); most pole positions (68); highest number of wins in one season (13 in 2004); number of consecutive podiums (19); wins from pole (40); fastest laps (76); hat-trick of pole, win, fastest lap (22), and most number of consecutive results in the points (24).


Asked if he was worried about putting his reputation on the line by returning, Schumacher replied: "I hope they will judge me on what I've done before.
"Brawn is a team that won both championships last year, they now have a strong partner in Mercedes, so the only aim is to go for the championship."
Schumacher revealed that he had consulted wife Corinna on his comeback.
"I had to sort out my personal situation before entering this new one," he said. "She could see the spark in my eyes, and so she didn't really argue."
Schumacher's move to Mercedes GP marks a reunion between himself and the German car maker that helped push him into F1.


He raced for Mercedes-Benz as part of its junior driver programme, competing in world sportscar events during 1990 and 1991.
Schumacher's decision means that Mercedes GP will field an all-German driver line-up in 2010, having already confirmed several weeks ago that Nico Rosberg will race for it.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...rcedes/246165/
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #1214
Mattk
Regular User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 6,610
Default

I wonder how he will do. Returning drivers never seem to do as well.
__________________
One stumble does not constitute total failure;
One victory does not constitute total success.
Mattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #1215
gaby_muntean
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Timisoara, ROmania
Posts: 10
Default

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/8427552.stm

Here is a interview from BBC with Schumi.

I think it will be a very exciting season next year, with Schumi vs. the young guys in F1.

We will have to wait until March for this
gaby_muntean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump