Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 02-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #16
Bigdaddytwon
Regular User

Is the CTS-V a muscle car.. i have to agree no... simply on historical basis

in 1955 Chrysler had the 300A with the the hemi in it.. At the time it was the most powerful american car you could buy. But the average man couldnt afford it, so the 1964 GTO is the first real musclecar.

The CTS-V did beat the M5's laptime on the Nurburgring by a couple of seconds (I think the M5 runs 8:20)
From what i've read in car and driver about GM's posted numbers on the car, they must've had someone rediculous driving it. They seem to have found a way around the axle hop that the CTS suffers from. Posting a 4.6 0-60 while C&D could only do 5.0. So i wonder how achievable the nurburgring times would be (basicly can the average person given a CTS-V and an M5 post better times in the CTS-V)

The current C&D article comparing the 2 is online at caranddriver.com, they also posted lap times.
Bigdaddytwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #17
DanHenderson
Regular User

This month's Road and Track also had an article on the CTS-V and I believe they had an easier time with it. However, I can't find a link to that article.
DanHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:19 AM   #18
RC45
Regular User

I just glanced at a mag (can't remember which one) and the CTS-V posted slower numbers for ALL tests than they had hoped.

Slower 0-60, slowr 0-100, slower 1/4.

It was a 3 way comparo - M3 vs M5 vs CTS-V.

Let's hope GM hasn't messed with the car between original launch and the present time - and totally botched it.

I would never buy a Caddy new - they devalue too fast (bad for 1st time buyer - great for 2nd and 3rd buyer) - but as a used car the CTS-V would be a screaming deal. - But at it's new price it not very much of a bargain. And it is a piece of GM crap afterall.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:36 PM   #19
godspeed06
Regular User

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:19 pm Post subject:

I just glanced at a mag (can't remember which one) and the CTS-V posted slower numbers for ALL tests than they had hoped.

you neglected to mention the problems they had with the car which is one of the main reason they had trouble with it. mainly, a leaking tire and a faulty engine temp sensor so they couldn't drive the car to its limits.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:16 AM   #20
bowtie502
Regular User

i love it, suddle body changes, speed grills, wheels, LS6 and a 6speed, its greeaat.. i like it a lot the part that is so cool, yet different is that isa 4 door, fast four doors are becoming more popular but this is the first one i really like V8 6 sp, caddy.... yes
Old 03-02-2004, 07:23 PM   #21
Tomerville
Regular User

Muscle Car? O dunno. The thing can own on the track. I mean, I guess the SVT Cobra R was a muscle/track car too. But it has badd reliability at the present moment. I remember reading a poor review of it in Car and Driver.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:13 AM   #22
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by godspeed06
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:19 pm Post subject:

you neglected to mention the problems they had with the car which is one of the main reason they had trouble with it. mainly, a leaking tire and a faulty engine temp sensor so they couldn't drive the car to its limits.
That's about par for the course considering the crap GM produces.

They cut cost corners so much - and quality control really sucks. Even on low volume models like the C5 Z06 they fucked up many, many cars with badly glued in windshields, side door jamb seal oozing out, badly aligned fender panels.

Not to mention the really bad paint work ... and then of course the repeat electrical and mechanical flaws in design and execution that are rampant throughout the C5 line up - and the same goes for the rest of GM's line up.

And before nayone jumps to the "I know a buddy with a C5 that is fine -" --- the car is ok as an occasional weekend driver - but it really is not upto dialy driving - especially not BMW/Mercedes/Porsche build quality.

Just spend a day at a busy service center like I did at one time - speaking to MANY drivers with almost brand news cars - repeat problems.

Typical GM to supply a piece of crap to a magazine - imagine the car that goes into the cars they sell.. *NOT*

(the above truth does not however stop me from having a blast ripping the streets up in my over-priced fibreglass cavalier... )
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:27 PM   #23
bmagni
Regular User

its not a muscle car i think, wot i do think tis that caddy os goin great, n m5 better watch out
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:15 AM   #24
Schwalbe

a used car the CTS-V would be a screaming deal.
You have reason RC45.

I cannot buy a BMW M5 (too expensive), but on the other hand, a CTS V-Series used of two years is in my prices.

Concerning the question: Caddy CTS-V the new epitome of a musclecar? I say yes.
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:23 AM   #25
Vansquish
Regular User

I'd say it's the epitome of the sleeper (other than the M5, E55, RS6 etc...) rather than the musclecar, it doesn't have the right proportions and it's a 4 door 5 seater rather than a big honking coupe with a massive, massively powerful engine.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #26
sameerrao
Regular User

I had a close look at the car during the Houston car show. it has some nice features - cool wheels, roomy interior, ducts for the front brakes, Z06 engine. All together a good offering for the money. I wiish they had put a few more bucks into the interior texture - the dash material looks like it came on a $12000 Corolla. Pretty poor.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote