Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-17-2004, 12:11 PM   #31
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

I say 993 all the way, or the STI...and I have to be honest, I know corvettes have good performance and all but they seem like they are made so cheap...the rubber steering wheel and the entire dash is basically the same set up you get in a regular chevy pick-up...but a lot of people love them and they do perform well
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 12:13 PM   #32
spitfire6000
Regular User

umm i dont know if u can get a decent m3 at that price...i mean even the 2001 models are selling for like 48 49k right now.

Try:

Mazda rx8
or
Infiniti G35 Coupe <---- insane car for the money
spitfire6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 01:16 PM   #33
Swanniebird
Regular User

There's always an old ferrari, from like the 60's. Infiniti G35 Sprot coupes aren't bad. They have the same egineering as the 350Z, just more luxury. If your dad is willing to get a truck, a new Dodge RAM SRT-10. I think those are $48K though. Used Vipers aren't bad either. Mercedes SLK 230 or 320 convertible, used or an SL500 used. Did I fail to mention older Porsche 911's and other models?
Swanniebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 02:26 PM   #34
Vansquish
Regular User

I thought about the G35 coupe, but you know it's basically a less stiff, more gentlemanly version of the 350Z...it's nice, I think it looks better than the 350Z, but it's got 27 less bhp and a bit less torque to boot. I think I'm going to start looking into 993's ... I've seen a few Esprit V8's for close to that money too...think they're worth looking for?

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 04:54 PM   #35
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Look Vanquish, eventually its your choice(or fathers) don't listen to what we like,

buy a car that fits you or your family profile, you know, what you guys like.

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 05:30 PM   #36
Vansquish
Regular User

I know hehe...I was just curious if there were any ideas out there that I hadn't considered...the Elise is a thought I rather like, so is the 993, the Noble M12 if I can find one etc...

Thank you guys for all the help

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Old 04-17-2004, 05:38 PM   #37
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Swanniebird
There's always an old ferrari, from like the 60's
Are you crazy? An F car from the 60s will cost you 200k+
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 05:50 PM   #38
Vansquish
Regular User

yeah, the only Ferrari's that are in the range would be Mondials, 308/328s, a 400i or two and the odd 348 that has pretty high mileage.

There are Aston Martins too...the DB7 is a bit out of the price range, but I've seen a Virage or two and of course the wedgy Lagonda of the 1980's.

Old 04-17-2004, 10:59 PM   #39
Swanniebird
Regular User

An F car from the 60s will cost you 200k+

No they won't. I've seen them for 30-50K and in good condition. Not all, but some you can find for that.
Swanniebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:26 PM   #40
sentra_dude

Well, is your dad planning on using the car on the track a lot, a little, or never; because that has a big effect IMO. If he plans to go to the track frequently I would say your best bet would be a Z06, very fast in all respects and pretty cheap to buy a used one and maintain it.

Also...Elise would be wonderful, although I fear they may end up out of your price range when all is said and done with the U.S. version...

Maybe a kit car? There are some Lotus Super 7 kits, in fact there's a guy down here that makes a kit with the Celica GT-S engine (same as Elise I believe) and offers it for $35K completely assembled and ready to drive, however that maybe to harsh for a daily driver, but it would still be cool. 8)

I would stay away from a Lotus Esprit, a neighbor of mine had one and it was a great car...but it was always sitting in the drive way, he was afraid to drive it because something always broke when he drove it. :roll: Yeesh...stay away from Ferraris, or any Italian cars unless you want horrendous repair bills.

Scooby's are nice...but base WRXs aren't the best handlers, they have a lot of AWD & crappy tire induced understeer, but its better with the STi.

If it were me, I would get an Elise no questions asked; I would sell the wife's jewelry or something to come up with the difference.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:32 PM   #41
Vansquish
Regular User

I like the way you think sentra_dude...though the ZO6 is an excellent vehicle...my dad won't go for it, I'm fairly sure about that...he's a sort of dyed in the wool Blue Oval guy. The Elise is my current choice unless we can find a Noble M12 GTO-3 used...he'd like that even more because the Duratec 3L was one of the last things he worked on at Ford, not to mention the fact that it's fast as hell and quite a good looker as well. If we're getting a track car, my guess is that it would be a stripped out and upgraded Miata or something to that effect, as they're cheap to run and pretty handy handlers. As for kit cars, my fave is still a bit out of the price range...the CAV GT muahaha...now THAT would be excellent.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:39 PM   #42
sentra_dude

An M12 would be so sweet ...no one would know what kind of car it was (except a few car nuts)...but they'd know it was something special just by looking at it. They are excellent handlers and plenty fast, and they look so damn good (although, sadly, I've never seen one in person)...

Plus the handling is biased towards oversteer.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:16 AM   #43
Vansquish
Regular User

I know...I love them hehe...cross your fingers

Old 04-20-2004, 03:00 AM   #44
Vansquish
Regular User

Well...I think the other fantasy (besides the Noble) is beginning to bear fruit. I believe I might've found a site where I can get my hands on an ERA/GTD/CAV GT40 replica for something between 35 and 45 grand. Bearing in mind that these cars have at a minimum about 270bhp and a maximum of nearly 550bhp within that price range, I think things are definetely looking good (and fun hehe)

Old 04-20-2004, 03:43 AM   #45
nthfinity
Regular User

definately some interesting ideas... i am suprised however that nobody seemed to glisten to the idea of a 2003 Mustang Cobra. the car is an absolute pleasure to drive. sure, its a "straight line handler" compared to the vette... and worse for circuit racing due to the poor multilink rear suspension.... but that doesnt mean it doesnt corner at all. the car produces incredibly controlled slides under power, and has incredible potential to modify engine performance.

a kit car is definately a cool idea, the Cobra replicas ive seen are grand (except one with a soft top) i dont think to many cars could give as much commanding thrill of driving as the cobra replicas.

around that area of the state, im not familiar with any race tracks... the closest decent one is Michigan Speedway if i recall... but im not sure if it has a circuit as well as the oval? my point being that how much of a track car does he want? but at the same time, there are plenty of curvy roads to get frills on between the AA area, and Bloomfield.

being your dad is a blue oval man... i trust the Firehawk is out of the question? or perhaps a SLP Trans Am WS-6... just a few extra ideas good luck, id love to see whatever is chosen