Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: McLaren F1
subzero 87 73.73%
cool 14 11.86%
uncool 9 7.63%
seriously uncool 8 6.78%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2006, 04:58 AM   #46
yg60m
Regular User

Originally Posted by gangajas
Seriously uncool. I'm tired of reading Gordon Murray's articles where he writes that the Macca is the best car ever and nothing can touch it. And he talks about the F1 everytime he writes an article.
Despite being a fan of the Macca I am quite agree with you, I suppose it's normal that he compares every car with his baby but it becomes boring and he's not really objective (but he's not the only one )
Old 05-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #47
DeMoN
Regular User

there are several F1 haterz I see... prolly bugatti fanboys.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #48
yg60m
Regular User

lol, I love all the cars
Old 05-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #49
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Originally Posted by yg60m
3 seat was indeed an option in the Vector but I've never seen a pic with this configuration (maybe it was never retained).
Considering they sold like 1 or 2 cars, even if it was in the option list, there aren't many chances for somebody to have selected it
sold 17 cars before Megatech's hostile takeover

I think won of the Yammato cars had the 3 seat option, and no, it wasn't a bench.
Speaking of best handling, where does that Vector thing in your sig get its 1.25 lateral G number from? Is that through a high speed corner, or is that on an actual skip-pad? Or was that number achieved using slicks?
1.25 was either in Road and Track, or Motor Trend... i can't remember which one right now... with the Michellin Sport XGT Plus tires (aka stock) in a skidpad test.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #50
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by TT
3 seat was indeed an option in the Vector but I've never seen a pic with this configuration (maybe it was never retained).
Considering they sold like 1 or 2 cars, even if it was in the option list, there aren't many chances for somebody to have selected it
sold 17 cars before Megatech's hostile takeover

I think won of the Yammato cars had the 3 seat option, and no, it wasn't a bench.
Speaking of best handling, where does that Vector thing in your sig get its 1.25 lateral G number from? Is that through a high speed corner, or is that on an actual skip-pad? Or was that number achieved using slicks?
1.25 was either in Road and Track, or Motor Trend... i can't remember which one right now... with the Michellin Sport XGT Plus tires (aka stock) in a skidpad test.
No pictures of the three seat layout? How about a diagram or something? I'm interested how they worked that out, it doesn't seem like they could use the same set up as the F1. Just from Nth's pictures that car appears to be very wide, maybe 80 inches, so I guess 3 people side by side? That reminds me of an Apollo capsule...

Do you have that skip-pad article, maybe you could scan it if you do have it? I'm sure more people than just me are interested in how a car got 1.25 G on a skid-pad...

Also, bringing up the mileage limit debate again, if the owner of the F1 lives in the USA, and the car is not one of the 6 or so converted to confirm to US regulations, it is under a DOT "Show or Display" limit of 2500 miles a year. There is no limit imposed by the factory, although it might be easy to mix up the DOT limit with a factory limit.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #51
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^
i dont have a diagram; but the seats were more uncomfortable then the 2 seat verstion... similar width as the F1's seats... the 2 seat "standard option" was much more roomy for the elbows next to each other... but both door seats have tons of elbow space even with 3 seats.

i'll work on the article; see if i can find it
Old 10-22-2006, 10:45 PM   #52
pyre2099
Regular User

this car is the ultimate supercar for the simple reason is that it came out so long ago, and made everything else look slow and had all the nifty stuff you want a car to have
Old 10-23-2006, 12:20 AM   #53
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by pyre2099
this car is the ultimate supercar for the simple reason is that it came out so long ago, and made everything else look slow and had all the nifty stuff you want a car to have
so the 242 mph Vector W8 was slow by comparison? when it came out first with more power?

don't put it on a pedistal, it doesn't belong
Old 10-23-2006, 01:21 AM   #54
yg60m
Regular User

I want to believe but when/where was it tested at 242 mph ? Is there a magazine report or something ?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:22 AM   #55
Mattk
Regular User

It's probably the best performance car in the world, but it doesn't look it, so it can't be subzero.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #56
nthfinity
Regular User

I want to believe but when/where was it tested at 242 mph ? Is there a magazine report or something ?
I believe I posted a Road and Track article which mentioned it. Also, I know w/out any doubt that in 1980, the W2 prototype was tested to 237 mph with "only" 600 hp in Car + Driver... whereas the W8's def. had wayyyy more power, better aero, and the same gearing. do the math, it all makes sence
Old 01-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #57
Samer305
Regular User

This is the nicest body wise and has the engine with it aswell.
Samer305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:47 AM   #58
CMonakar
Regular User

Awesome car. I don't know why everyone is getting so hung up on the clutch -it can be replaced with one that has a stiffer pressure plate or more inertia if it's really an issue. The clutch is probably made by Tilton as is the case with many supercars.
They offer countless combinations of pressure plates and disks.

It's light, small, has a huge motor, aerospace quality, is built by one of the best F1 constructors in history, and they provide direct factory support. How could this not be subzero?
CMonakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #59
liveaxle
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
I believe I posted a Road and Track article which mentioned it. Also, I know w/out any doubt that in 1980, the W2 prototype was tested to 237 mph with "only" 600 hp in Car + Driver... whereas the W8's def. had wayyyy more power, better aero, and the same gearing. do the math, it all makes sence
You can't compare prototypes with road legal production cars. If we stick to prototypes, then the ~600 hp Porsche 917 did ~250 mph in '70 or '71.
And they converted a few Porsche 956s (or 962s?) to road legal spec. I wonder what their top speed were?
The F1 was the fastest production car for about a decade according to official measurements. Theoretical top speeds doesn't count.

I am not going to mention modified Bonneville specials...
liveaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #60
liveaxle
Regular User

Oh, and I forgot to say that I'm giving the "Big Mac" a sub zero (hope McDonalds doesn't sue me).
Many of the 600+ hp cars look too much like kit cars to be any cool.
liveaxle is offline   Reply With Quote