Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Books, Comics And Magazines > Magazine Scans

Old 02-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

Default Road and Track: March, 2005.

enjoy
Old 02-11-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Let me guess. The corvette won.........So predictable not even going to bother.......dont get me wrong though, I appreciate the effort but every American magazine that I read as of the last few months drools over the vette as its an Enzo or something.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
adamwich
Regular User

THANKS A LOT!

Great Scan!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
racer_f50
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Let me guess. The corvette won.........So predictable not even going to bother.......dont get me wrong though, I appreciate the effort but every American magazine that I read as of the last few months drools over the vette as its an Enzo or something.
if you read the end page which displays results, you'll see that the Porche 911 is winning until the very last bit which is PRICE. the Vette will always be a better performance/$, so i can't really blame them for choosing it.
besides not liking the 911's styling, I think the Vette is just so much more wallet-friendly and is still a quality sports car with great performance. i'd be more willing to drive the nuts off a cheaper car than I would an expensive one, simple as that.
Unless of course i someday become rich...
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #5
coloradosilver
Regular User

Yes....Go Corvette Go.

Even with that ancient leaf spring suspension it still kicks ass. It might be old technology, but if it works just as well and keeps the price down, why not?
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

if i had my choice of any of the cars, regardless of price, id definately go with the boxster. IMO, the only problem for me is the price.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
DeMoN
Regular User

Thnx for this fine article. BTW, next time blur out your name and address from the front page (if its you) if you want to remain stealtyi online.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #8
Regular User

the yellow on 350Z is so nice
Old 02-12-2005, 02:52 AM   #9
crazidude
Regular User

I'm not surprised that the Corvette won, hell I would've put it in the first or second. What I'm surprised about is the Viper and the 350z. They normally do well in comparisions, but they did pretty damn poorly here. How the hell the Lotus beat both of them is beyond me. I'm not saying that the Lotus is a bad car, but I'm just not seeing it being a good all rounder.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:39 AM   #10
Refefer
Regular User

One thing that really miffed me about the article is the fact that price was ranked so *highly*. I mean, 1/3 of total points? I can understand maybe a 100 point out of 600 if they really wanted to emphasize it, but then again I thought they were testing the *best* sports car... and it seems to me that the best should be ranked by how well the car performs, not how much it costs to own. After all, just because everyone can't own doesn't make it a bad car.

That said, I still love the vette
Old 02-12-2005, 08:08 AM   #11
astonmartinandy
Regular User

What a biased, pathetic, patriotic tribute to the Corvette.

I accept the 911 is considerably more expensive but $53k/$67k for the Corvette/Boxster S hardly puts them worlds apart.

Both Porsches outperformed the Corvette in terms of overall points. The 911 was faster and more refined, while the Boxster S was voted "best" by almost all editors whilst still displaying the practicality essential for a car to be at home both on road & track.

To deny either of the Porsches victory by giving price such a high point weighting, demosntrates a desperate last ditch attempt to enable the Corvette to emerge victorious.
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #12
mv
Regular User

many thanks...I've been waiting for this...the Carrera S keeps on amazing us...It should've won.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #13
Refefer
Regular User

Originally Posted by astonmartinandy
I accept the 911 is considerably more expensive but $53k/$67k for the Corvette/Boxster S hardly puts them worlds apart.
You can get the vette coupe for around 44k in the states, so that is about a 23k difference in price...
Old 02-13-2005, 07:39 AM   #14
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Fair enough, I just took the price from the magazine.

My point still reamins that I think it's unfair to directly compare these cars and the result being that both Porsches are in fact superior, only to then conclude that the Corvette is better because of the cheaper price.

Surely a more accurate conclusion would be that the Porsches are better cars for both road & track, but if money takes a far higher individual priority for the buyer, then get the Corvette.
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:28 PM   #15
gottacatchup
Regular User

Road & Track uses the same categories with the same point values for almost all their tests. This one had the added element of the Lap time, but the price category is standard for all tests. In a head to head between the 911 and Corvette (without track times) they ranked the 911 over the Corvette so dont say they are completely and totaly biased.

EVO just did a review of the covette and gave it very good review saying it was definately a competator for the 911 along with the TVR.