Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 07-29-2003, 04:16 PM   #181
666fast
Regular User

hehe, the guy in the F50 was a douchebag! I hope no one got hurt.
I've got another video of soem idiot in a F355 that he rented. He does a burnout in a very packed street and takes off slamming into another. Of course, the dude just takes off! I'd be headhunting at that point. I wouldn't care how big of a piece of crap i was driving, you don't just leave!

I know what Jabba means on making the wrong impression on people you are doing business with. My uncle had a Countach at one point but never ever took it too business meetings. Never drove it to work either.
A friends, mother, owns a packaging design place. So they are very well off, could easily afford a Lamborghini or four. But what does she drive, an Infinity I30. I asked her why and she said it's better for business and it doesn't upset her employees. Which I think is understandable.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:06 PM   #182
666fast
Regular User

EDIT- moved review tot he right thread. Thanks TT!
Old 07-29-2003, 07:20 PM   #183
TT
Regular User

Some of us posted their reviews HERE
Old 07-30-2003, 03:40 AM   #184
possessed_beaver
Regular User

ok, because u are sucessful you aren't oblagated 2 drive shit cars!

why do people live there lifes based on what other people will think?
when im rich and sucessful, i want it 2 show
despite what ANYONE thinks, as for my image, the ppl that know me would know that im a nice person and thats all that matters.

/end rant
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:15 AM   #185
tekwar
Regular User

well thats easier said than done. When your business relies a lot on what other people think of you, i dont think you brush that aside and just do whatever you want, unless you want to risk losing profits. Even if your friends know that your a nice guy and all, they are unlikely going to make money for you.

ohh TT i dont think that link works, it just redirects back to the main page
tekwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:25 AM   #186
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by tekwar

Strange.. it's ok for me
Old 07-30-2003, 04:27 AM   #187
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by tekwar
well thats easier said than done. When your business relies a lot on what other people think of you, i dont think you brush that aside and just do whatever you want, unless you want to risk losing profits. Even if your friends know that your a nice guy and all, they are unlikely going to make money for you.

I did...and I did if fact loose mega profits...and my 355 GTS...ouch lets not got there !!!....but I was young and stupid...and learned the hard way...I can tell beaver is just like I was when I was his age...and he will probably have to learn the hard as well....but it does seem like a good idea at the time...I would say that much...
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:54 AM   #188
sportVeloce
Regular User

Yeah. It all comes down to styles. Styles make fights (boxing term), they also make companies. I know some successful people that drive round in their high-end mercs and Ferraris (no lambos :cry: ). I had a friend whos father (a neurosurgen) wanted a Porsche, but feared it would hurt his professional reputation, so he got a couple of new Saabs. I personally think it comes down to what industry you are in. For instance; in Finance and Investment banking there are plenty of traders driving Ferraris. It is a culture in its self. But in the medical field being flashy is frowned upon.

Summary: Rant rant rant... I dont think "one size fits all". Depends on your industry, clients and role in your organization.
sportVeloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:01 AM   #189
draak666
Regular User

From all the better cars, Saab and Volvo are the most politically correct makes.
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:08 AM   #190
tekwar
Regular User

Originally Posted by draak666
From all the better cars, Saab and Volvo are the most politically correct makes.
but those cars are so boring
how bout an audi, 3 series or C-class? im sure there are many choices.

sportVeloce your right, it really depends on your profession, but its always better to be safe than sorry especially when your already at such a high level.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:09 AM   #191
Jabba
Regular User

I think you could get away with an M3 as well....
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:02 AM   #192
tekwar
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
I think you could get away with an M3 as well....
yeah its an "undercover" car. also a RS6 is very tempting.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:28 AM   #193
jon_s
Regular User

RS6 is a car that you can kind of get away with. There is also that aftermarket tuning package for it (see current EVO mag).

Saab's being boring?? Well, yes and no. We have a 9-5Aero Estate, tuned by hirsch. (http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/index_e.htm) It develops 305bhp. But it is all going through the front wheels, so give it a corner to fight with, and there is no chance. However, on the motorway it is a different story. It is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever been in. IMO, more so than the 5-series and E-Class (old shape-have not driven new shape) The 5 series is a better car, no doubts about that. Anyway, the only point that I am trying to make is......not everyone knows what an Aero can do (in a straight line!) especially not a tuned one. Which is why my Dad loves it. In general it is the fastest thing on the motorway........with obvious exceptions, but then if you drive an Aero you know what is faster.

humm, I have forgotten what I am trying to point out. I do agree compared to an M3 it is boring, but then there are not many cars that are exciting compared. I think what the 'Saab' says is.......I do my job well, with minimum fuss. I am aware of my capabilities but don't feel the need to demonstrate them all the time. It is for that reason why my dad drives a 9-5 Aero (ESTATE!!).

As for me, at the moment, despite my age, I would drive an Audi S3 out of choice, I might be tempted to tune it, but I would not touch the outside. But then I am just starting my life in Company Law, I cannot be seen to be too brash if you know what I mean.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:52 AM   #194
tekwar
Regular User

saabs arent very popular here in Melbourne, i seldom see them around, and those i have seen, arent really exciting, from the looks at least. In all truthness, i know very little about the company and their cars. My judgement on them has been basically solely on astetics alone.

for me right now, i dont really care much about performance oriented cars, as i dont have the money to allow for that luxury. I just drive something practical that can take me around, carry my luggage...take my friends out for drink, and thats about it. And if you have ever been to Melbourne, its really quite pointless to have a high performance vehicle...there isnt any room here to actually push the vehicle, unless you plan to go into the outbacks. But i nevertheless still enjoy these cars , i marvel at their designs, their mechanics, and everything that comes with building these "exotics"...they are like art to me i suppose.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:32 PM   #195
novass
Regular User

@jon_s...whats the tuning package offered for the RS6 you mentioned in EVO. i dont get EVO here unless i go to a large newstand. what are the hp figures, etc.?

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote