Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #61
RC45
Regular User

Yep - 3 seconds is the time it takes to round the last right hander and go donw the short start finish straight to get to the start line.

Thats it...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:52 AM   #62
nthfinity
Regular User

a danish magazine printed a story with Jan, and some MUST SEE shots!!!
ALL CREDIT TO ORIGINLAL POSTER AND SCANNER "GrantG"
FROM DC.

This photo kicks ass.

Article translated:

Thought this would be interesting to you all.
Scanned from a recent issue of "Bilmagasinet" - danish car mag.
Interview with Jan Magnussen about (among other things) his record lap at NBR.
Hereīs a translation:

[Top pic, Magnussen and Vette:]
Thursday morning, Southern Germany. General Motors have discreetly rented the legendary german Nürburgring track for an hour between 7 and 8 in the morning.
The temperature is more comfortable than at Le Mans, and the track is empty apart from a couple of early rising spy photographers.
It takes more than a blue Vette to exite them - they recognize it, itīs the Z06 version, the brutal Vette with 500 BHP. What they do not know, is that itīs Jan Magnussen behind the wheel.
The objective is to beat Walther Rörhlīs laptime in a Porsce GT3 RS - itīs 7:43,0 min for the 20,8 km heavily varied track with 73 corners.
The record was set in 2004 in a standard version of the Porsche.

[Splash in middle]
Jan made 7:42,9 thereby beating the Porsche GT3 RS by 0,1 sec.

[Two lower photos]
"The photo is taken at Flugplatz. Iīm going 240-250 km/h at full throttle in 4th gear and the car is actually jumping twice: After the first jump it lands so hard that it takes off again, as you can see in the second picture. As it lands the second time I have to take a sharp right immediately after.
The car is a standard car with street setup - had it been my racer it would hardly have left the tarmac. At NBR the street car reaches 295 km/h on the long straight in 5th gear (6th gear is an overgear for saving gasoline). At NBR there are no run-off areas like other tracks,. You simply have to stay on the track. When you are halfway around the 20 km, you think itīs a good thing there are only half as many places left you risk running off the track" Jan says.

[About the track and the car]
"The stree Corbette has virtually no grip compared to my race car which has a large rear spoiler. But it does have almost as many BHPs as my Le Mans racer and is almost as fast. The rev limiter sets in at 7000 rpms, and it does have more than 500 BHPs.
Itīs fast.At the record attempt I drove 2 x 2 laps with a cooldown lap inbetween for both mine and the carīs sake.
I couldnīt have driven one single lap more. I wouldnīt have liked to drive a single meter (3 feet) more with myself at the wheel at that speed", Jan finishes.

Again all credit to the original poster and scanner.
Thanks
Old 07-23-2005, 01:46 AM   #63
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Cool looking pictures. BTW This is the first time I heard of the RSs .43lap ops:
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:09 AM   #64
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Cool looking pictures. BTW This is the first time I heard of the RSs .43lap ops:
same here, but it makes sence... wasnt HvS' lap 7:47?
Old 07-23-2005, 09:40 AM   #65
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
same here, but it makes sence... wasnt HvS' lap 7:47?
I believe the 47 was the SA lap time. And 43 is Rohls time I guess.

Funny how this proves Grays argument
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:32 PM   #66
StanAE86
Regular User

I just read that same post (nthfinity) at Roadfly:

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...6853968-1.html

Like the poster at Roadfly, "Standard" would indicate to me that it's on those runflats - although it would be an unmodified "standard" Z06 issued item...
Old 07-24-2005, 04:37 PM   #67
RC45
Regular User

Old 07-24-2005, 06:38 PM   #68
Just_me
Regular User

WOW 120hp extra and beating GT3 RS by 0.1 sec. Well done.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:04 PM   #69
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Just_me
Unlike the GT3 RS - a very limited edition, small market uber version of the already killer limited GT3, the C6 Z06 is a mass produced car that is street legal in all global markets - as it ships.

So - in that light, who cares if the car has extra power on tap - you have no proof that it needed the extra power to beat it's time.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:06 PM   #70
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Unlike the GT3 RS - a very limited edition, small market uber version of the already killer limited GT3, the C6 Z06 is a mass produced car that is street legal in all global markets - as it ships.

So - in that light, who cares if the car has extra power on tap - you have no proof that it needed the extra power to beat it's time.
well, im just cerious how the RS did at Flugplatz.. how much air (since the RS has a pretty aggressive front facia/rear wing) and what speed it did... i think a couple individual corner comparisons would give a real good idea of a comparison. ... the vett' was hitting 240-250 KPH (149-155mph) at the crest.

its one damn fine set of pictures
Old 07-25-2005, 05:25 AM   #71
Guibo
Regular User

WOW, because hp is all that matters in lap times.
Hey, you forgot
1) gearing (advantage: GT3 RS)
2) weight distribution for traction while accelerating (advantage: GT3 RS)
3) weight distribution for braking (advantage: GT3 RS; nevermind the composite ceramic brakes)
4) tires (advantage: GT3 RS; throw some runflats on the Porsche, and then run it again; or, conversely, throw some R-compound non runflats onto the Z06 and lap it again)
5) Walter Rohrl vs Jan Magnussen at the 'Ring (advantage: GT3 RS; you seriously think Magnussen knows that track better than Rohrl?)

Why not examine the Z06's time against that of the 555 PS mid-engine exotic Pagani Zonda S, or the 620-hp TechArt GT Street, both of which have more power and slightly better power/wt ratios, and say GM did a pretty decent job?
Guibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:47 AM   #72
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by Guibo
WOW, because hp is all that matters in lap times.
Hey, you forgot
1) gearing (advantage: GT3 RS)
2) weight distribution for traction while accelerating (advantage: GT3 RS)
3) weight distribution for braking (advantage: GT3 RS; nevermind the composite ceramic brakes)
4) tires (advantage: GT3 RS; throw some runflats on the Porsche, and then run it again; or, conversely, throw some R-compound non runflats onto the Z06 and lap it again)
5) Walter Rohrl vs Jan Magnussen at the 'Ring (advantage: GT3 RS; you seriously think Magnussen knows that track better than Rohrl?)

Why not examine the Z06's time against that of the 555 PS mid-engine exotic Pagani Zonda S, or the 620-hp TechArt GT Street, both of which have more power and slightly better power/wt ratios, and say GM did a pretty decent job?
I know horsepowers isnt everything, just look at M3 CSL or NSX-R. If you dont have the horsepowers work on the chassi.
And I dont really care about carmanufactures laptimes, its all about markeeting. I will wait for Sportauto, an independent carmagazine.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:12 PM   #73
graywolf624
Regular User

Funny how this proves Grays argument
You expected any less
Old 07-27-2005, 04:35 PM   #74
RC45
Regular User

Well - I just heard some interesting news. This came right from the horses mouth:

Mr Heinrichy also was in Germany and did some hot laps in the C6 Z06 and turned in a 7m42s as well.

Interestingly, he was not as out of shape as Jan was through Flugpatz.

Which leads on the believe that Jan gained back what ever he lost with his motocross moves - and than John must have had a moment or 2 some place else on the track.

This plays into the hands of the "But the Nurburgring is a stupid benchmark" folks
Old 07-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #75
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Well - I just heard some interesting news. This came right from the horses mouth:

Mr Heinrichy also was in Germany and did some hot laps in the C6 Z06 and turned in a 7m42s as well.

Interestingly, he was not as out of shape as Jan was through Flugpatz.

Which leads on the believe that Jan gained back what ever he lost with his motocross moves - and than John must have had a moment or 2 some place else on the track.

This plays into the hands of the "But the Nurburgring is a stupid benchmark" folks
well god damn!
you know what that means, the new Z is extreamly drivable at high speed, very very good predictability, and balance in its chassis... of course, some of us already knew that