Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-14-2003, 08:04 PM   #1
SFDMALEX

Default what happened between Tiff and Clarkson??

i just read this from a "ask tiff" part of the 5th gear website,

"Speedster
Hi Tiff - You did a report from the States last year on the 350Z and apart from interior and boot you seemed to really like it. Your old colleague Jeremy Clarkson reviewed it on his show and said that it was a load of rubbish. What are your thoughts on his opinion and has yours subsequently changed?

Tiff - My thoughts on him are the same as his thought on the 360 Z. If he can get it that wrong, you can't trust him on anything."

does anyone know what really happened between these 2? anything that caused Tiff to want to move on and not be on good terms with clarkson??
Old 10-14-2003, 08:09 PM   #2
Johns
Regular User

they're two different people and anyway why would u have both in one show when u can get two very different shows I think its better that they eachhave their own show
Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:54 PM   #3
AlienDB7
Regular User

Tiff and Jeremy always have different opinion, that's one of the reason why it was so fun watching them arguing over an issue. Tiff wants a pure drivers car and Jeremy is more of a logical person, looking for something that's more usable as a daily fun car. Any of you remember the bmw M5 vs. jag XKR feature in JC's head to head video? That's was great, too bad we probably won't see something like that again.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:50 PM   #4
SFDMALEX

yeah but that line that i quoted from his words on the 5th gear site seem to reveal some bad blood between them. "you cant trust him on anything :fist: ", thats a real personal attack and its obvious that there's more than a diff of opinion. I would like to know the real truth why tiff decided to move on, they couldn't have gotten along all that great.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:23 AM   #5
DeMoN
Regular User

I am really interested to know the answer to this question too! Please someone enlighten us
Old 10-15-2003, 12:51 AM   #6
AlienDB7
Regular User

I think it was Jeremy who decided to leave [top gear].
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 01:44 AM   #7
deth
Regular User

just a note further on in the chat

"Supra4eva - Have you ever Driven a Toyota Supra( Twin Turbo of Course), By my Nickname you prob guessed It's one of my favorite cars. I've never actually seen anyone road test in on television.I know clarkson did, and he called it rubbish, as you said earlier you can't trust him on anything,lol. What's your opinion on this "Mental *** Supercar" ?
Tiff - I don't know when Jezza did it, but I did the last Supra on TV for Top Gear, and raved about it. Like I said, the big belly's got no idea!"

hehehe
Old 10-15-2003, 04:20 AM   #8
WhiteP
Regular User

are the replies really posted by Tiff?
WhiteP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 04:58 AM   #9
Vansquish
Regular User

If those replies are posted by Tiff, then I'm sort of happy to know that he regularly contributes to Autocar and has his own show. Clarkson really seems to like softer vehicles...he doesn't seem to mind having automatic transmissions, witness the SL55 that he owns...and though he's still something of a performance nut, I really think that most of his opinions aren't as pure as Tiff's...I mean, if Tiff can say that a Lambo is a bit too benign for his tastes and he really seemed to think that about the Gallardo and the Murcielago...while Clarkson is afraid to shut off the traction control, then I'll side with Tiff every time. I guess I'm more of a racer at heart than Clarkson is hehe.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:10 AM   #10
espen
Regular User

Just look at the big old mullethead try to drive something... ever notice how he spins pretty much any car he drives? He could'nt even avoid spinning his ovn Merc SL for f.s sake... and now he runs a sad talkshow where the same old jokes get recycled every effing eposode to polite laughter forn the aduience, the Stig amusingly plays corny music and old mullethead can once again be top dog on tv.

The reason Tiff got sacked form Top Gear is that Clarcson was a proper employee of the BBC while Tiff was hired in for the job. The instant Tiff appeared, ol' sheephead got demoted to the decidedly last place in the popularity stakes. Big shock: Clarkson wasnt happy... and Tiff got canned.
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:17 AM   #11
Jabba
Regular User

You dont like clarkson I take it ?
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:42 AM   #12
espen
Regular User

You could put it that way

I think he should get out of the way and let someone who actually can drive and perhaps even knows what he talks about take over. Tiff fits the bill

I think Tiffs test of the Macca F1 or the Enzo compares favorably to anything Clarksons ever done in his life.
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:01 AM   #13
Jabba
Regular User

Tiff presents 5th Gear and therefore its unlikely that he will present Top Gear as well... he wasn't sacked by the BBC at all... he was poached by Channel Five along with Quentin Wilson and Vicki Buttler Henderson to provide a rival show to Top Gear...

Tiff is the better driver of the two but Clarksons humour is much better....its just that not everyone understands it...
Old 10-15-2003, 10:06 AM   #14
Kangaroo Boy
Regular User

Did Tiff Drive a touring car(s) back in the early 90s or was it Clarkson?If so,what series was it?
Old 10-15-2003, 10:32 AM   #15
Jabba
Regular User

If you click on the 5th gear link on the front page you can find lots of information on Tiff's career there......