Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #31
tforth
Regular User

What's this crap about transmissions being able to reliably deal with more than a doubling of power/torque?? I guess the more appropriate question id for how long? Have any of you taken any science courses at all, never mind mechanical engineering?

Car systems and components are designed for their intended application loads, with a safety factor, the magnitude of which is usually directly related to your understanding of the problem/design at hand. Even given that certain engineers may not be as knowledgeable as others, I'm pretty confident that the bean counters would not allow that much 'fat' in the designs. Don't kid yourself, extra robustness costs money. If you've worked with any of the 'big' three you'll know that they are the last to spend it!!

Lastly, as I have gone in to great detail in the past explaining, evo has stated irrequivacably that the Veyron is the fastest car in the 'twisties'. This is when they compared it to none other than an enzo (modified), CGT, Zonda S (modified)...

Mechanics specials are not comparable to an engineered car. If you have ever worked in the automotive industry and taken something (especially new technology) from concept to volume production, you would understand this.

Sorry, but it is most definitely the Veyron's time to shine ;->
tforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #32
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by martin100
Iīm not saying "we against America"! Iīve read a lot, if not all of the threads about the Veyron here on JW, and i noticed two things:

1. Mostly Americans (including Canadians of course) complain about the car for being to heavy and not handling well enough (Though for an almost 2 ton car, it handles extraordinarily according to many reviews (EVO mag, Jeremy Clarkson Times Online review for example)). It was NEVER meant to be a Carrera GT in terms of handling, but a straight line rocket. You forget one thing, it is a GT car and not a supercar like the Carrera GT is! Achieving incredible speed in no time AND in best possible comfort is itīs purpose, not going around corners as fast as possible.

2. Many Europeans donīt like the Veyrons design, but almost ALL admit that it is an incredible technical achievement. Why canīt you? You say itīs all controlled by a lot of computers, which it surely is, but which modern Luxury or hypercar is not (except for some ultra hardcore, none comfort cars like the TVRs i.e.)?

You donīt have too many ways to design a car if it has to go 253mph. And i like itīs design on the exterior aswell as on the interior, always having in mind its purpose and what it can do.

The Veyron combines two things: Ultimate performance and total luxury. Bringing these two things together in such perfection as Volkswagen did is simply and will always be stunning! Some of the worlds best car engineers designed and finally built it for 6 years, and the finished product is so refined and so totally different then anything before it, that you canīt just compare it to some 1000bhp Vipers from your neighbourhood!
They may have quite astonishing accelleration figures, but show me one that has a unique 7 gear DSG gearbox that will take you take you to an never-before-known stable 253mph in no time and with such reliabilty!

All the new or much more refined stuff they had to invent just to build the best road car ever, no matter the cost, is IMO worth to pay the price of the Veyron, as high as it might be!

I say again, itīs NOT the case that i have something against Americans, but iīve read so many threads in the past where mostly them always searched for faults on the car, not being able to see or admit what a unique and brilliant engineering marvel it is, that someday the point would come where iīm fed up which is right now :fist:

Please RC, correct me if iīm wrong!
You are wrong.

For $1 million+ 1000bhp 7 years to produce computer controlled 4wd and billions in R&D it is not that amazing at all.

Did youkno wyou void the warranty the moment you set the car to "253mph" mode?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:09 AM   #33
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by tforth
What's this crap about transmissions being able to reliably deal with more than a doubling of power/torque?? I guess the more appropriate question id for how long? Have any of you taken any science courses at all, never mind mechanical engineering?
Have you ever bothered to consider that you do not hold exclusive rights to knowledge.

You might do well to remember this. Try for once realizing your audience might know as much or even more than you do.

Car systems and components are designed for their intended application loads, with a safety factor, the magnitude of which is usually directly related to your understanding of the problem/design at hand. Even given that certain engineers may not be as knowledgeable as others, I'm pretty confident that the bean counters would not allow that much 'fat' in the designs. Don't kid yourself, extra robustness costs money. If you've worked with any of the 'big' three you'll know that they are the last to spend it!!
WHo gives a rat fuck what you are spewing? If you want your Tremec T56 to with stand 1000bhp. you give it and $3500 to RPM-Transmission (just one of many engineering firms) and they retrun it to youstrong enough to withstand 1000bhp drag launches.

Again - please get a cle befor eyou try educate people.

Lastly, as I have gone in to great detail in the past explaining, evo has stated irrequivacably that the Veyron is the fastest car in the 'twisties'. This is when they compared it to none other than an enzo (modified), CGT, Zonda S (modified)...
Wsn't that "comaprison" based on "impressions" and not actual tests and numbers?

Mechanics specials are not comparable to an engineered car. If you have ever worked in the automotive industry and taken something (especially new technology) from concept to volume production, you would understand this.
As much as you claim to know all - perhaps you might want to take a trip to Decatur Indiana and tell the folks at LPE that what they build cannot be done and they must be liars and cheats because you say its not possible.

That is you ropinion.

And by Christ I will have an opposite view if I want.

But lest we forget, you and a bunch of other losers want to reserve JW for their own unique opinions and refuse to allow opposing view points.

:roll:
Old 06-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #34
nthfinity
Regular User

What I was getting at is this...

15 years on, there is only one group of people even willing to "advertise" (even though they dont) that will even touch the Bugatti EB110's... and Bugatti of today most definately wont.... what about the Bugatti of 10 years from now, 20 years from now, and 30 years from now? The small block is the stable of availability that the Veyron simply cannot even hope to think it had a chance at being similar.

If you've ever taken a business course, you'd know that such niche firms change hands like Larry King changes wives, and you'd be kidding yourself if you thought that when Niche firms change hands, that all corperate liabilitys do as well.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:25 AM   #35
gangajas
Regular User

Sorry, but you can compare the Veyron to some powerful tuned cars, you are worse than those ricers with their Integras, Supras and Skylines that think they have the better cars in the world.

gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #36
martin100
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
You are wrong.

For $1 million+ 1000bhp 7 years to produce computer controlled 4wd and billions in R&D it is not that amazing at all.

No i didnīt know that :shock: Where did you get that info from?
martin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #37
eva-adam
Regular User

Default .......

this is mindblowing!!! :shock:
eva-adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #38
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by gangajas
Sorry, but you can compare the Veyron to some powerful tuned cars, you are worse than those ricers with their Integras, Supras and Skylines that think they have the better cars in the world.

Where you born stupid?

No-one is COMPARING the Veyron to anything - some of us are simply saying it is not that impressive when you take the $1 million price tag, 7 years to develop, enormous R&D resources, 1000bhp, 4WD and banks of computer control into consideration.

Do you get that concept?

You want impressive?

Impressive is when a small tuning company can get a 6 cylinder Toyota engine to produce 1000bhp on pump gas - that's impressive.

Throwing cubic money at a 16 cylinder engine and barely making 1000bhp is no timpressive - it is expected.

You are wrong.

No i didnīt know that :shock: Where did you get that info from?
Me? This was relayed to via a connected Bugatti source.

I have reason to believe they are reliable.

The Veyron is a very fast, accelerates like a rocket ship and is very composed under handling stresses.. but - but, when you consider the computer control and the 4WD and the 1000bhp it would be more amazing if it it didn't do all these things.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #39
nthfinity
Regular User

What will be impressive is if there was a Veyron that had style influences from the Bentley Speed 8, was about 1000 less lbs. had a longer wheel base, with functional aero to start with, and cued 1930's bently styles in subtly, and removed electronic aids.... even if top speed was sacrificed... 0X

What IS impressive even considering the number of 1000+ hp cars on the street in USA, and elsewhere, is that the Bugatti has virtually no discernable lag from any speed, and rpm... the Bugatti isn't a free reving machine shifting at a very American-like 6000 rpm roughly...
Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #40
gangajas
Regular User

Were you born stupid?
No, stop insulting everybody that doesn't think like you, please.

No-one is COMPARING the Veyron to anything - some of us are simply saying it is not that impressive when you take the $1 million price tag, 7 years to develop, enormous R&D resources, 1000bhp, 4WD and banks of computer control into consideration.

Do you get that concept?
I don't care about how they did it, I only care about the results and the results are impressive

You want impressive?

Impressive is when a small tuning company can get a 6 cylinder Toyota engine to produce 1000bhp on pump gas - that's impressive.
Now ask that small tuning company to build a car as fast and refined as the Veyron.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #41
Svensson
Regular User

Now ask that small tuning company to build a car as fast and refined as the Veyron.
I'll call them next monday... Can I have your Credit Card # ?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #42
martin100
Regular User

Yes, refinement is the important word here! This is what makes the big difference between the Veyron and other tuned 1000bhp cars.

But ok, i see RCs point that it isnīt that impressive considering the huge amount of money needed to make it become reality. Thatīs his opinion.

I however will always be stunned by the Veyron, seeing all the engineering it needed and all the effort put into it. I think the results are impressive and the combination of power and luxury is absolutely unique in the world of cars and will be for a long time to come if not forever.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #43
RC45
Regular User

Were you born stupid?
No, stop insulting everybody that doesn't think like you, please.
That was a question - not a direct insult.

And the moment YOU accept that my opinion is different from yours, then you can speak.

You demand I accept that you have a different opinion... yout YOU won't acept that I or others have an opinion different from yours.

That's the point.

So again I ask - were you born stupid or are you just refusing to accept that some people have OPINIONS different from yours?

BTW - are trying to show your solidarity and support for terorism with your signature pictures?

But ok, i see RCs point that it isnīt that impressive considering the huge amount of money needed to make it become reality. Thatīs his opinion.
This is all that has been said from the word go - but some people are so full of personal hatred and anger towards the other PERSON (such as some posters in this thread with opposite views to mine) they misdirect their anger hate for the person into their opinion as well.

There is no secret that certain responders to this thread actually have bought voodoo dolls in my effigy and often host chants and seances to try cast spells on me their hatred runs so deep
Old 06-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #44
martin100
Regular User

^ OK, i hope this discussion ends now once and for all (though i strongly doubt it. Just a matter of time until the next Veyron thread is posted )
Old 06-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #45
Svensson
Regular User

^ Ok, I'll see if I have more where that came from "martin100"