Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #16
Z3uS
Regular User

The video sure is amazing but the Veyron is just terrible :x
I don't like this car at all.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:59 PM   #17
tforth
Regular User

You can make the 'style' argument, which is obviously a subjective statement, as it comes down to personal preference. However, as hard as some may try, you can't take away the engineering achievement that the Veyron represents.
tforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 PM   #18
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by gis
^you really know how to take the excitement out of something dont you,lol
Well, at last count there were 40+ 1000bhp cars in Houston, so as far as being able to "roll on like a Veyron" - it's not that special around these parts... and it takes about $1 million less to do it

I mean, here's one.. My friend G's car..

Cars this powerful are just that common these days...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 PM   #19
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by tforth
You can make the 'style' argument, which is obviously a subjective statement, as it comes down to personal preference. However, as hard as some may try, you can't take away the engineering achievement that the Veyron represents.
At $1 million+ 4WD and 1000bhp, exactly how is that an "achievement"?

It's a given that with that type of R&D and money you would a bunch of idiots if you couldn't pull it off.

And as hard as some may try, you can't take away the truth that statement represents.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:53 AM   #20
Svensson
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by gis
^you really know how to take the excitement out of something dont you,lol
Well, at last count there were 40+ 1000bhp cars in Houston, so as far as being able to "roll on like a Veyron" - it's not that special around these parts... and it takes about $1 million less to do it

I mean, here's one.. My friend G's car..

Cars this powerful are just that common these days...
That's awesome, RC! Now I don't want to compare it to the Veyron except for the power, but I'm wondering... Exactly how does tuning a Z06 engine to this extent (1000bhp) effect the reliability/durability of the engine?

I mean, getting all that power out of the engine is one thing, but making it reliable for years and years is another. It may be WAY cheaper than the Veyron, but if it needs a complete rebuilt every year, the costs can obviously run into the figures. Also, what about the transmission this G-car is using? If it's stock, how does it handle all the extra power? Or is it modified?

I'm just interested to know... don't wanna start another "Veyron vs. whatever other car bashing-thread", because we've had enough of those
Old 06-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #21
RC45
Regular User

V8's have been tuned to these numbers for years... they are reliable... that's why they are built with robust parts..

I would go so far as to say that the aftermarket 1000+hp cars are actually stronger and more relaible than the "factory" cars ..
Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #22
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Svensson

That's awesome, RC! Now I don't want to compare it to the Veyron except for the power, but I'm wondering... Exactly how does tuning a Z06 engine to this extent (1000bhp) effect the reliability/durability of the engine?

I mean, getting all that power out of the engine is one thing, but making it reliable for years and years is another. It may be WAY cheaper than the Veyron, but if it needs a complete rebuilt every year, the costs can obviously run into the figures. Also, what about the transmission this G-car is using? If it's stock, how does it handle all the extra power? Or is it modified?

I'm just interested to know... don't wanna start another "Veyron vs. whatever other car bashing-thread", because we've had enough of those
LPE offer a full 36,000 mile warrenty for their 1000 hp twin turbo jobs they do. They veyron requires new plugs and wires every 3000 miles... among other additional "maintainence" during that same interval.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #23
Svensson
Regular User

Ok guys, thanks for the info! Now I need a LPE Corvette C6 Z06 630bhp, that's powerful enough for me... 8)
Old 06-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #24
wasaabi92
Regular User

That was just "incredible!"

The speed that thing reaches in seconds is amazing. Think teleportation.

wasaabi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #25
martin100
Regular User

I always find it funny when the Americans team up to find faults on a car that their fat engineers would never have been able to create even if they had twice the budget the VW engineers had. And if they did it would have 30 inch rims and be the size of a football field

Sorry, but iīm starting to be fed up when the Americans whose best car ever is the latest Corvette Z06 with stone-age components canīt even admit that the Veyron is an immense technological achievement which it is without a doubt :x
martin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #26
fordgt84
Regular User

i really did not like the veyron at first...but considering they lose money for every car they sell and the difficulty in getting it to reach 240 mph+ in a body thats heavy for a supercar and not that aerodynamic, you just have to give the veyron the thumbs up.

that accelration is just :shocked!: :faint: ... i'll be happy riding shot gun in that thing, it was just incredible...oops i said it too lol
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #27
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by martin100
Sorry, but iīm starting to be fed up when the Americans whose best car ever is the latest Corvette Z06 with stone-age components canīt even admit that the Veyron is an immense technological achievement which it is without a doubt :x
The veyron is NOT a technical achievment - simply because for the budget used, time taken to bring to market and final results... it is no that amazing.

Again - for $1 million+ and 1000bhp and 4WD and computer-control for EVERY system youwould expect it to be as fast as it is.

That is point you keep missing - had the Veyron sold for $400,000 and been a superb handling car like say - the Carrera GT then it would be an achievement.. as it stands now a 4000lb 1000bhp 4WD electronic controlled million dollar car is not that amazing in and of itself.

oh - and one more thing - why did you have to make it about "The Americans" - this fucking "us vs America" bull shit has to stop.

Some of us are not impressed by the car, based on the price, power, electronics and time to market... period.

No-one is doubting the performance of the Veyron - uhm - it is obvious to see what it can do.

What we are saying is that for $1 million, time tp market, 1000bhp and electronic aids it is what it shoul dbe - no surprises there..

And THAT has nothing to with "America vs" anyone. It is an opinion.

And if YOU are entitled to YOUR opinion.. then for fucks sake,,, so are we.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:12 PM   #28
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by fordgt84
i really did not like the veyron at first...but considering they lose money for every car they sell and the difficulty in getting it to reach 240 mph+ in a body thats heavy for a supercar and not that aerodynamic, you just have to give the veyron the thumbs up.

that accelration is just :shocked!: :faint: ... i'll be happy riding shot gun in that thing, it was just incredible...oops i said it too lol
I believe the reason they lose money is because they did not make enough to justify the cost for tooling.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #29
martin100
Regular User

Iīm not saying "we against America"! Iīve read a lot, if not all of the threads about the Veyron here on JW, and i noticed two things:

1. Mostly Americans (including Canadians of course) complain about the car for being to heavy and not handling well enough (Though for an almost 2 ton car, it handles extraordinarily according to many reviews (EVO mag, Jeremy Clarkson Times Online review for example)). It was NEVER meant to be a Carrera GT in terms of handling, but a straight line rocket. You forget one thing, it is a GT car and not a supercar like the Carrera GT is! Achieving incredible speed in no time AND in best possible comfort is itīs purpose, not going around corners as fast as possible.

2. Many Europeans donīt like the Veyrons design, but almost ALL admit that it is an incredible technical achievement. Why canīt you? You say itīs all controlled by a lot of computers, which it surely is, but which modern Luxury or hypercar is not (except for some ultra hardcore, none comfort cars like the TVRs i.e.)?

You donīt have too many ways to design a car if it has to go 253mph. And i like itīs design on the exterior aswell as on the interior, always having in mind its purpose and what it can do.

The Veyron combines two things: Ultimate performance and total luxury. Bringing these two things together in such perfection as Volkswagen did is simply and will always be stunning! Some of the worlds best car engineers designed and finally built it for 6 years, and the finished product is so refined and so totally different then anything before it, that you canīt just compare it to some 1000bhp Vipers from your neighbourhood!
They may have quite astonishing accelleration figures, but show me one that has a unique 7 gear DSG gearbox that will take you take you to an never-before-known stable 253mph in no time and with such reliabilty!

All the new or much more refined stuff they had to invent just to build the best road car ever, no matter the cost, is IMO worth to pay the price of the Veyron, as high as it might be!

I say again, itīs NOT the case that i have something against Americans, but iīve read so many threads in the past where mostly them always searched for faults on the car, not being able to see or admit what a unique and brilliant engineering marvel it is, that someday the point would come where iīm fed up which is right now :fist:

Please RC, correct me if iīm wrong!
martin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #30
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
The best way to judge this 10 years down the line when we compare the price of the bugatti and the tuned Z06 or the viper......

Then we will see wich one are the best investment, my money are on the Veyron....

but of course I`m probaly wrong as the tuned vettes and vipers of Houston will be the most valued car of the planet at that time....
or...

you could flip it this way

in 10 years.... wait, 20 years.... no how about 30 years time, and every interval in between... when your Veyron takes a shit... how long will the downtime be?

And how long will a built small block's down time be?