Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:39 PM   #31
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
The local gun shop near me has a Barret. They let me hold and it's one heavy mofo. I can't imagine the recoil of it. I've seen .50 cal rifles being fired, I'd imagine it compares to being kicked in the shoulder by a horse. The price on the Barret was just under $9k. I have no idea what the exact model number it is they had though. They also had a few machine guns, heh, who needs an Uzi? $900!

I've shot a Desert Eagle. Very over rated gun. It's weight absorbs a lot of the recoil and with a proper hold on the gun it's not too bad. Though, with repeated shooting your wrist will get sore. The worst thing is that they aren't accurate for shit, not in my experience anyway. I couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside with one.
Well the thing about this one is the way the barrel is set in the reciever. It's set to absorb alot of the recoil, hence why it can be used as semi auto. The Muzzle Brake also bleeds some of the energy of the shot by directing it back, instead of letting it push back from the front of the muzzle like most rifles.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:47 PM   #32
TeflonTron
Regular User

RC: I don't live in the UK, you ignorant prick.

The FACT of the matter is that the Gepard (and others, including some made in the USA) are better than the Barrett, and that has nothing to do with the US in the slightest: it just is. Were you born in the US, RC? Is that why you have to wave the flag so hard, poephol.
TeflonTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #33
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by TeflonTron

The FACT of the matter is that the Gepard (and others, including some made in the USA) are better than the Barrett, and that has nothing to do with the US in the slightest: it just is. Were you born in the US, RC? Is that why you have to wave the flag so hard, poephol.
1) As much as i like seeing RC fluster people in US vs The World arguments, would you please take it to the Political Forum?

2) If this gun is so useless, why is every other country purchasing them? Sweden was the first country to buy them. It was a Canadian sniper team that took out the insurgents from 2430 meters through a tin cover.

3) in the segment the gun is going through 3 feet of cinder block form well over 1000 meters and penetrating a thick plate of steel from nearly the same distance. With regular bullets. not explosive tips.

4) It's a multi purpose sniper rifle. who gives a flying fuck if 14.5 mm makes more power than a 25mm. who has the longer, more accurate range in under 10 seconds delivering 10 rounds down range?

You aren't going for muzzle velocity in a sniper rifle. You are going for effective accuracy from as far away as possible. hell, effective accuracy is the point of any firearm. But 2700 fps does make for a flatter trajectory after 1+ miles

Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 PM   #34
TeflonTron
Regular User

Zf: why would I take it to the Political Forum? There is no Political stance or bias on my part. This isn't about Politics, just me saying that there are more accurate rifles than the Barrett, some that use a Russian cartridge, and some that use the .50 BMG, just as the Barrett does.

The Barrett is a very capable rifle, but it is also the only one in this class that most people know of, yet pretty much every country makes a .50 Anti-Material rifle, from England through to South Africa through to China. This is a discussion forum, and I was discussing this rifle in context, and it isn't my fault if certain people (not yourself) want to throw their toys from the pram.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:28 PM   #35
PaulGT2164
Regular User

they say the barret has the same amount of recoil as a 12 ga shotgun, due to its recoil canceling design
Old 08-21-2006, 10:41 PM   #36
666fast
Regular User

That's strange, as the Desert Eagle is amongst the most accurate of all "off the shelf" guns and is perfect for target shooting. You have to hold it tightly though, and if you "limp wrist" a shot it will go all over the place, and can jam the gun. It really is the kind of gun that you need to spend a lot of time with, tbh.
Maybe it's me. I couldn't hit shit with it. With a .45 the same day, I had a three inch spread after 16 shots at 25 yards. Not bad considering I have very little experience with handguns. Soon to change though, permit has been applied for.

BTW, as a target gun, a Desert Eagle would be a terrible choice for your wallet! Ever seen what the ammo costs? LMAO
A day at the range will run into the hundreds just for ammo.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #37
TeflonTron
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
That's strange, as the Desert Eagle is amongst the most accurate of all "off the shelf" guns and is perfect for target shooting. You have to hold it tightly though, and if you "limp wrist" a shot it will go all over the place, and can jam the gun. It really is the kind of gun that you need to spend a lot of time with, tbh.
Maybe it's me. I couldn't hit shit with it. With a .45 the same day, I had a three inch spread after 16 shots at 25 yards. Not bad considering I have very little experience with handguns. Soon to change though, permit has been applied for.

BTW, as a target gun, a Desert Eagle would be a terrible choice for your wallet! Ever seen what the ammo costs? LMAO
A day at the range will run into the hundreds just for ammo.
Yeah, in .50AE and .44 Cor-Bon the Rounds are about a Buck each, which is not that bad, but not that great when you take in the fact that you have to shoot a lot of shots to get used to the gun. The reason why it can jamb and be inaccurate is that it's gas recoiled, unlike 99% of handguns, and that means that the whole action needs to cycle fully in a straightline, and if anything interupts that the accuracy goes to hell. Basically the gun is great for hunting and silhouette shooting, but terrible for self-defence.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #38
PaulGT2164
Regular User

i have alot of experience with a 44mag desert eagle from israel arms, and it was a very accurate handgun, but then again i also have been shooting since i was 9 years old. it was my fav, with the second fav handgun i used to target shoot with, a springfield armory 1911 .45...
Old 08-22-2006, 01:00 AM   #39
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I didn't start shooting real guns until i was about 20 and my roomate bought a Taurus .44 Revolver. I couldn't hit a god damn thing for the first 10 shots :roll:

A few months back, my current roomate and i went shooting with his parents. Two .44 revolvers and a Glock 40. I was 2 inches low and right but clustered prettey tight with all 3 of them. Couldn't figure out for the life of me why i couldn't hit the bullseye until i went shooting with my coworker to sight in his 300 Winmag (fucking christ that thing hurts!) Now that day was fun Both my roomate and i hit dead center with his M1 Grand from 116 yards, open sight But it was switching to my coworkers .22 Ruger that i realized why my pistol shots are always low.

When i shoot a rifle, i sight with my right eye. And for some reason i was using my left to sight with the pistols What diff does it make? Well, point your finger at something in the room using both eyes. Now close your dominant eyeand see where your finger seems to pointing, then switch to your weak eye. Most people will see a difference

Old 08-22-2006, 01:44 AM   #40
RC45
Regular User

Well - you have insinuated that many times - besides you sure act like liberal britocrat anytime you get - maybe if younother to put an accurate place name in your avatar we would know where you are from.

If that was your inference why did you go to great pains to point out the origin of each?

So - is the south african afrikaans refence a clue?

If only you bothered waving a flag - any flag. Seems you are not proud of where you live.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:46 AM   #41
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
1) As much as i like seeing RC fluster people in US vs The World arguments, would you please take it to the Political Forum?
I would if he had anything worthwhile to say there..

2) If this gun is so useless, why is every other country purchasing them? Sweden was the first country to buy them. It was a Canadian sniper team that took out the insurgents from 2430 meters through a tin cover.

3) in the segment the gun is going through 3 feet of cinder block form well over 1000 meters and penetrating a thick plate of steel from nearly the same distance. With regular bullets. not explosive tips.

4) It's a multi purpose sniper rifle. who gives a flying fuck if 14.5 mm makes more power than a 25mm. who has the longer, more accurate range in under 10 seconds delivering 10 rounds down range?

You aren't going for muzzle velocity in a sniper rifle. You are going for effective accuracy from as far away as possible. hell, effective accuracy is the point of any firearm. But 2700 fps does make for a flatter trajectory after 1+ miles
I am guessing this chap is not the greatest firearm buff either?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:54 AM   #42
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by PaulGT2164
i have alot of experience with a 44mag desert eagle from israel arms, and it was a very accurate handgun, but then again i also have been shooting since i was 9 years old. it was my fav, with the second fav handgun i used to target shoot with, a springfield armory 1911 .45...
I was looking at SA 1911 .45's as the potential purchase. Nice guns for the money. I was looking at the Mil Spec in particular.
There are a few others I'm interested in as well from Charles Daly and Kimber.
We'll see, it'll be a few weeks before I make a choice, so it's not like I don't have time to decide.

I also might go for a 9mm, just because ammo is a bit cheaper. LOL
Old 08-22-2006, 07:45 AM   #43
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

I am guessing this chap is not the greatest firearm buff either?

what do you expect from someone who doesn't have the right to bear arms

Old 08-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #44
TeflonTron
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Well - you have insinuated that many times - besides you sure act like liberal britocrat anytime you get - maybe if younother to put an accurate place name in your avatar we would know where you are from.

If that was your inference why did you go to great pains to point out the origin of each?

So - is the south african afrikaans refence a clue?

If only you bothered waving a flag - any flag. Seems you are not proud of where you live.
So, the fact that I come across as a Liberal to you makes you assume that I live in England, does it? Am I to infer then, that from your self-righteous, right-wing postings that you live in 1930s Germany? I wasn't aware that my, or anyone's, exact location was that important to you. However, maybe it is, as you love nothing better than putting people in neat little boxes, don't you? Is that all that your brain can digest?

I didn't go to great lengths to point out the origins, laaitle, just that there are alternatives to the iconic Barrett. You then went on a pro-American rant by saying that I was knocking your adopted country (funny how you didn't answer my question about your Nationality or place of birth, isn't it?) and generally acting like the supercilious person that you are.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #45
abbor
Regular User

We have .50 cal sniper rifles in my battalion, although I don't know if it is this one, and the snipers haven't used it yet, but I think they'll have them when they go to Afghanistan...
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote