Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #31
nickthaskater

Edited my post ^

Turns out there's another Dan Kennedy who happens to be quite a bit older haha, so yea, hence my earlier mistake.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #32
Shinigami
Regular User

A video clip cannot accurately convey how a car drives, IMO. Whilst it can give a notion and provide the viewer with an idea, I'd much rather reserve such comments until I've had a go in one myself (well, here's hoping).
Old 08-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #33
rave426
Regular User

Originally Posted by davide
Handles badly might be a harsh word to say...

hard to handle good might be a better way saying it! I'd too have trouble hadnling a 600bhp supercar...
Thats the answer I was looking for.

I think u got this one scrwed up Nth. Yes I am a fan of the F1, because of the engineering aspect, but I am also an unbiased person.

I cant remember but didnt the F1 win some LM races back in the day. How many good LM race cars do you know that were based of off bad handling road cars?

I think the F1 is just a handful to drive, not a bad handling car. I dont think anyone on this board as seen videos of people consistently hold a Carrera GT in a slide. Not just a tail flick........ A slide. I dont see anyone calling it a bad handling car.....just a handful to drive.

I dont think the F1 is the best handling car but to say its bad is terrible assumption. Apparently its twitchy.....but so is the Carrara GT, apprarently its unforgiving at the limits.....so is the Carrera GT.

But for some reason we love these twitchy, unforgiving cars and personally I would rather have an F1 over any supercar ever developed......with the Zonda F and Ferrari F50 coming in a close 2-3
Old 08-16-2006, 10:13 AM   #34
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by rave426
I cant remember but didnt the F1 win some LM races back in the day. How many good LM race cars do you know that were based of off bad handling road cars?
They cahnged the aerodynamics significantly to win that one
Old 08-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #35
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
~lotus...

ah, another fanboy responce

its so painfully obvious; but go ahead and think the way you do... but no other 600 hp/ 3000 lb. (or lesS) car i've seen behaves like that even with a judicsous throttle
Your "proof" is mediocre at best. A bad quality video of some random guy (ok, he seems to know what he's doing) sliding all over the place. I take Tiff's assessment over that one. I'd take the assessment from an actual owner (posting at Pistonheads) over yours, sorry. Like I said, you can see crap in the video you posted. How's the surface, what are the conditions, etc?

I'm sure the F1 is quite a bitch to master...but that doesn't make it a bad handling car. It's an early 90s car, of course it is not as polished as the SLR, Veyron, CGT etc. 20 years of development will always show. It would be sad if current supercars wouldn't have improved so much. But for its time it was a masterpiece, and it's still impressive today.

I'm not the one with the fanboy response here...your topic smells from your dislike for this car I once saw a video of a guy crashing his F50 at pathetic low speeds. Must be a bad handling car
Old 08-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #36
nickthaskater

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by rave426
They cahnged the aerodynamics significantly to win that one
F1 LM

You can also get the downforce package on the regular F1 as well.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #37
jorge
Regular User

Itīs natural, he is just applying too much power when turning in a damp surface. The video doesnīt prove anything.

A regular car will not do that, but a car with 627hp and a weight of little more that a ton....
Old 08-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #38
StanAE86
Regular User

That's Dan Kennedy in the video...and some stupid GF.

As much as I like reading nth vs. everyone else and would love to play devil's advocate, I gotta' agree with the masses here...Dan doesn't know what he's doing.

The problem he's having is maintaining the slip angle of the car. He's nailing the throttle to break traction, but once it does, he's letting off again, causing the car to grip again. Typical beginner drift problem. So, what you're seeing is the car fighting between the threshold of grip and slip. You've got these huge rear tires on the thing, so if you want the car to slip/drift, you've got to apply a fair amount of power. Once you let off, the tires bite.

He also looks like he's adding too much steering input when he tries to break traction. By doing that, the car goes into a tight spin when it loses traction, but that's not what Dan looks like he wants. It looks like he wants to do a big donut (drift a big circle), so, he lets up on the gas to stop the spinning, in hopes that it will give him the chance to dial out steering and do a bigger donut. But when he does that, the tires bite, he doesn't have enough throttle to break the rear tires and he pushes.

I had this problem on my old...Corolla. haha. Now hear me out...drifting the AE86 was a blast. However, when I rebuilt it for high power, I had to relearn to drive the car. Dicking around in a skidpad, I had the same problems that Dan is having in the video. I would hit the accelerator and turn the steering and start pushing because I didn't have enough power to break the rear tires loose. Then, the turbo would kick in and break rear traction...but then...I would have too much steering input and the car would spin out. If I lifted on the throttle, the tires would bite again, and I would push. Dan's situation is the same, but he's being awfully rough with the throttle, rather than modulating it. If he tried harder, he could do the big drift because the motor is n/a and the power is linear and right there. Whereas I struggled at first, because of the turbo lag the car had.

In the end, nth...YOU'RE WRONG!!

Although I do think the McLaren is probably harder to drive, I don't think it's a poor handling car by any means...

Maybe he should have given me the McLaren and he could practice in the Corolla...
Old 08-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #39
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Oh come on nth... SURE the F1 may not be the best supercar in your opinion, but you cannot just say that it doesnt handle.. I can't check the video at the moment.

And you really can't expect to drive ANY high powered car at it's limit the first time you sit in the drivers seat..

Not to mention the car isn't really setup for power sliding.. its almost along the lines of drifting an formula 1 car.

No I am not a McLaren F1 fan boy ;p
Old 08-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #40
momodels
Regular User

:shock: this is a dream Navigation looks cool too Thanks a lot for the video.

...as ever, the magic is in a details...
Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #41
fordgt84
Regular User

im not too keen on the F1, only thing i like about it is its engine...i saw that guy on tv once, with that same car on some car programme...bought a ferrari when he was like 20...i'd say he was just trying to scare his ''im gonna shoot u if u dont shut the f**k up" wife, but his reactions were really instinctive...anyhoo i wud've spent my money on a ford gt, 430, v8 vantage, gt 500e and a house instead of the mclaren :roll:
Old 08-16-2006, 02:03 PM   #42
StanAE86
Regular User

Well, he got the McLaren back when it came out and none of those cars were out back then, unless you're talking about the classic GT500 and not the new one that's out. The McLaren is actually quite "vintage" isn't it?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:11 PM   #43
Svensson
Regular User

Not only is this a Stan, your arguments also don't make any sense, at all. Like a lot of people said before, this is Dan Kennedy's first drive and he's just having fun and scaring his wife. Nothing more, nothing less.

By the way, what's so great about his downshifting? I don't see any double declutching, not even heel-and-toe rev-matching. At one point he even locks the rear wheels while shifting down to first gear and letting out the clutch too abruptly. True, his reflexes are quick, but that alone doesn't make anyone a good driver.

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40813
Old 08-16-2006, 04:18 PM   #44
pagani
Regular User

I have to agree with tiff when he said this good handling car.
This will slay most current supercars maby not the veyron in a straightline.
And the man in the video is just playing with his new toy and tryin it out.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #45
jakaracman
Regular User

Sorry, but there's only one obvioust thing in the vid: the driver can't handle the car. His steering/throttle coordination is all wrong ...
@nthfinity: start watching tiff's review at 6tm minute, there's plenty of on the limit stuff (8:30 is most interesting).
All in all: when the driver is not on the same level as the car, interesting things happen - and people start blaming the car, usually.