Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:10 AM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default mclaren F1's do handle badly - proof!

http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/07...eMclarenF1.htm

in the second video; you can clearly see the car just lets loose w/out warning; as he tries time and time again to hold a slide...

BTW, im sure the F1 fan base will love the video
Old 08-16-2006, 01:41 AM   #2
pterps
Regular User

I am sure it has nothing to do with the handling of the car and everything with the handling of the driver. Looks like he really has no idea what to do with the car, and don't forget this is his first test drive with the car, so he doesn't have an idea how the car is going to react.
And his wife or GF is really annoying.

As Finishing Touch, God Created The Dutch..
Old 08-16-2006, 01:45 AM   #3
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^

a typical fan boy responce "it cant be the car, its the driver"

in responce to that, look at the way he handles the car, he has some serious driving experience... the speed of his reflexes is very quick, his downshifting; the way he grasps the wheel.

but go ahead, and think its just the driver, or the weight distro with a passenger.

what you see in this video is the exact same thing i've been talking about for quite some time; with direct contact with a licenced racer who has one.

seems like too much coincidence to me 8)
Old 08-16-2006, 01:51 AM   #4
LotusGT1
Regular User

Yes, and Tiff Needell, a known and experienced driver, loved the handling of the F1. He got amazingly excited when driving that car. At the Pistonheads forum there's an owner of the F1, simply adoring it. The character might not be to everybodies taste, but claiming the F1 is a bad handling car from such video is kinda funny. You see the driver in this video just slams on the gas without any attempt to get some grip. Doesn't show too professional. I can't see if the track is moist, or whatever the circumstances are....
Old 08-16-2006, 01:54 AM   #5
nickthaskater

That guy seemed to have a bit more talent than your average driver, to put it on him is kind of silly in my opinion. As for him "trying time and time again to hold a slide", I don't really think that was the case, it looked like he was just out having fun and pushing the car, and scaring the shit and piss out of his girl haha.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

~lotus...

ah, another fanboy responce

its so painfully obvious; but go ahead and think the way you do... but no other 600 hp/ 3000 lb. (or lesS) car i've seen behaves like that even with a judicsous throttle

~nick

he eventually learned that he couldn't... yet even after spinning some time after she says "no spinning, i hate spinning" he still tries to do a roll-on drift; and it goes right around.

the slides he tried at the beginnning were snap oversteer, then severe understeer...
Old 08-16-2006, 01:56 AM   #7
pterps
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
^^^

a typical fan boy responce "it cant be the car, its the driver"

in responce to that, look at the way he handles the car, he has some serious driving experience... the speed of his reflexes is very quick, his downshifting; the way he grasps the wheel.

but go ahead, and think its just the driver, or the weight distro with a passenger.

what you see in this video is the exact same thing i've been talking about for quite some time; with direct contact with a licenced racer who has one.

seems like too much coincidence to me 8)
I am not a hughe fan of the F1, so it's not typical fan boy response. As I said to me it looks like the problem is the driver and not the car. And I can imagine it is because it's his first testdrive. And you don't hear me saying I would do better when driving this car!
And please don't take it up too personal, I don't attack you

As Finishing Touch, God Created The Dutch..
Old 08-16-2006, 01:58 AM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^^^^ oh trust me, i dont take it personal; i've just finally found some proof to back up my claims and i'll make damn sure to use it hehe 8)
Old 08-16-2006, 01:58 AM   #9
JoeHahn
Regular User

It does look as if there is a severe lack of response from the steering wheel while trying to hold the slides and the violent way it flicks the car in the wrong direction. I know alot of people tend to have problems with high horsepower cars but in this case it may be the high horsepower car

insane acceleration through 2nd and 3rd gear however
Old 08-16-2006, 01:59 AM   #10
5vz-fe
Regular User

I don't give a shit how bad it handles...why??...coz that bitch is just so annoying I closed that video.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:01 AM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by goodduck
some proof..

this is a new mclaren owner trying to scare/showoff for his anoying ass girlfriend on an extremely uneven surface. this dude is far from professional. he just slams the gas without any finesse. and since when are macca's designed to do drift style donuts? as lotus said, Tiff's review back in the day is all i need to see to know that this is one of the greatest cars ever made.
yes, it is some proof; you just choose to look at it from a biased eye. If the video showed something different, i still would've posted, and said.... "I was wrong, look how well this handles!"
Old 08-16-2006, 02:07 AM   #12
nickthaskater

I really don't think it's anything conclusive... I doubt the McLaren is a car you can just jump right into and go off and pull some D1-esque drifts for miles, which is what it sounds like you expect him to be able to do.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:14 AM   #13
nthfinity
Regular User

no, of course not D1 drifts.....

first, it doesnt have the lock to do that... but I'm very sure that every other supercar out there from teh Jag XJ220, Vector W8, Pagani crapola F, Enzo, CGT, Ford GT, F430, etc. etc. all are able to give warning where the limit is, and let you control the car with a slide; and catch.

even the SLR you could run the slide.... still with quite some wheel effort.

which is my point.

a car where you can feel the limit better allows for approaching those limits more kandidly. on a track, if you cannot feel it, you might be losing 2-3-4 seconds per lap because you dont know whats going to happen if you stradle the limits.

so many people claim they want a better handling car; not some "american garbage" or whatever that is "only fast in a straight line".... so they take their GTi over a Z06, or such a car... well ,clearly you would want that GTi over the Mclaren F1 (you as in those people)

on an extremely uneven surface. this dude is far from professional. he just slams the gas without any finesse.
how much more even do you want it? there was only one section where you could hear/see bumps, and that was when he was on the straightaway high speed run.

and finesse on the gas, i urge you to watch the video again, he starts right off trying that; just to get pwned by the handling of that car....

minor snap, catch, throttle.... but its suddenly heavy understeer.
minor snap, big snap, catch, around.... rinse repeate
Old 08-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #14
nickthaskater

Dude, this was (IIRC) his first test drive of the car, I doubt anyone could master such a machine on their first try, let alone on a rather uneven surface as he was on with a screaming bitch beside him.

That's the point you seem to be missing. This video is far from an accurate respresentation of what the car can and cannot do.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:21 AM   #15
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^
yet other people (EG Jeremy Clarkson) are able to slide the CGT on his first try... and many others with other exotic supercars with similar, or more power.
Closed Thread