Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Video and Picture Links

Video and Picture Links WORKING HTTP or FTP links only, no torrents or other P2P links.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:33 AM   #31
r2r
Regular User

^
As mentioned before…

Performance: We already know Toyota can make a 25k MR2, and don’t tell me you need more then 5-10k to have a reasonable performance upgrade from a manufacturer, because you don’t.

Design: Good design doesn’t cost anything!

“Uniqueness” (whatever that means): We end up in the same price range as lets say a 350Z. Which means it’s going to compete with it. And I don’t know about you but in terms of picking a Sports car, a Mid-Engine Two Seat Rear Wheel Drive sounds much more Appealing and Unique to me then a 350Z!

Maybe the real reason you don’t see a proper mid-engine affordable sports car is because other companies make the same stupid mistakes like Toyota did thinking their new 25k MR2 should appeal and sold to the female buyers.
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:08 AM   #32
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by r2r View Post
Come on, this is Toyota we are talking about.

If Subaru, Mitsubishi and even Ford can do it, are you seriously saying that if Toyota wanted to, they couldn't make a proper mid engine two seater in 30k range?

Really think about what your saying. They have done it with the MR2 mkII before
Mustang GT is 26k Base....
WRX is/was 26k base
Evo is/was 29k base
STi was 31k base ( now 39kbase) WTF
350 Z 33k base

The final MR2 looked ok, and stood out, but its performance was not far off of a well equiped MX 5 (the only competition in the US in its class.... however, for its price, there is much stiffer competition in the "new car" class alone.... not including the "used car" category.

It failed because it was too expensive for what it did. In the opposite way why the corvette does so well for its price.... it does an awful lot.

Look at the next Skyline.... it looks ugly as fuck, and I'm sure it will sell well because of its performance.

On the same token, lets look at typical Alfa Romeo's from the last decade... people onlly buy them for the sound, and looks... performance vs every car in the same class is totally, and completely lackluster... yet they continue to sell.... they look fantastic. (in general)

Bah... i was going to think of something else, but I ran out of thought late at night... maybe you get my point
Old 12-21-2007, 04:28 AM   #33
r2r
Regular User

How about having a mix of both, performance and looks!

The MR2 doesn’t have to and shouldn’t stay in the MX-5 category. It should climb up to the 350Z territory and use that extra money to upgrade the performance. Sure the mid-engine platform can decrease it’s performance a bit over the 350Z because of the extra cost involved in the mid engine platform, but like you said about Alfa's, It could appeal to buyers for it’s looks and mid engine proportions and even out the demand.

Last edited by r2r; 12-21-2007 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:16 AM   #34
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Look at the next Skyline.... it looks ugly as fuck, and I'm sure it will sell well because of its performance.
lol I dont think it looks that bad. I think it looks a lot better than the Z.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #35
graywolf624
Regular User

Performance: We already know Toyota can make a 25k MR2, and don’t tell me you need more then 5-10k to have a reasonable performance upgrade from a manufacturer, because you don’t.
It might keep up with the 350z but that still wouldnt be a performance car market(the 350zs inadequacies being a subject for another time). That enters the emotional weekend gt market. Which raises a concern the 350z handles way better then the mr2... Luggage space. Could it compete there? Im not really sure.. But thats still different then the market you first described.

It won't compete with the like of the WRX, Evo, etc. How do I know? Look at the aftermarket. Notice those used miatas go racing. Very few people track mr2s of any generation. 9x out of 10 a individual can tune a car to be way faster from the factory for cheaper because they can make their own compromises. So what does that tell you.

Anyway, I think your starting to see my point so Ill stop now. Though I am enjoying this as I find the different auto niches fascinating.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #36
r2r
Regular User

Maybe one day when the technology and cost of resources are assessable enough I guess...