Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > 5th Gear Discussion > Episode Discussion

Old 11-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
Anonymous

Default 5th Gear : EP9 : 5th Dec

Motoring magazine. Tiff Needell sets out to see whether it's possible to drive along the A537 from Macclesfield to Buxton safely, and aims to enjoy it by taking the first Porsche Cayman in the country. Tom Ford takes the `Pepsi Challenge' with the fastest diesels in the world. Jon Bentley reports on the latest type of car crime.
Caymen feature sounds promising, and TT wil love the diesel bit! , but why is it that Top Gear always beat them to it, they get the cars first it seems but then take so long to edit it they are beaten to it!!
Old 11-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #2
Anonymous

Default Re: 5th Gear : EP9 : 5th Dec

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
... and aims to enjoy it by taking the first Porsche Cayman in the country.

What about the COCKSTER then?? It has been already reviewed by Clarkson!! Reminds me of the 'exclusive test of the Focus ST', featured by TG the same week!
yup 5th gear gets em first, then spends 2 months crapply editing the clips together and setting them to some dodgy music :roll: Wasted opportunities!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Anonymous

Not a bad first test by Tiff I thought, sin city effect was very nice and didn't feel so budget as usual 5th gear, shame they don't combine road and track tests though Relatively entertaining but having seen what's coming I think I will switch off soon
Old 12-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^
after seeing a cayman in person at my 'local' dealer a few weeks ago... i actually have started to like the shape of the car it really reminds me of the 550 RSK with the top on... or the 907. its long swooping rear hatch has grown on me an awful lot. i wouldn't mind owning this car, and if i did... a LSD would be the first thing i would do.

im looking forward to seeing Tiffs review later tonight/tomarrow
Old 12-05-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by AL
Not a bad first test by Tiff I thought, sin city effect was very nice and didn't feel so budget as usual 5th gear, shame they don't combine road and track tests though Relatively entertaining but having seen what's coming I think I will switch off soon
I missed the start of Tiff's review, but tuned in in time to see him completely shit his pants after the near-miss

The SFX were a bit "me-too", and they came a bit late in the day compared to TGs editing

I watched the rest of the show, though. The Airbag feature was boring, apart from the manufacturing process which was very interesting. The numberplate theft thing i was aware of, especially since the obtaining of an actual plate has become more difficult.

The "Shootout"... more like "SHITEout".... a Volvo vs. a bland Legacy. Although the Legacy is a very accomplished car, Vicki's first words in the Volvo about it being so big were fucking stupid - OF COURSE it's BIG!!! Its a fucking estate car. A complete waste of time IMO.... when was the last time TG took an estate around the track?!! (-without taking the piss.... something 5th Gear will also never achieve - comedy)

The Puma auction was exactly what i have come to expect of 5th Gear. A very boring idea on paper, and even worse when Plato shows a dent being popped out - WHY?!?!?!?! The very fact that they didn't sell the car was another huge disappointment, to be added to the brroken Koenigsegg, broken Renault Megane, the failed 200mph Lotus....

5th Gear seems more and more like TGs poor relation every week :roll:
Old 12-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #6
coloradosilver
Regular User

I feel a bit sorry for Jon Bentley. Besides being quite funny looking and really boring, they always stick him with the segments that most people sleep through and don't care about. They should just cut out his part of the show and add in some testing segments of new cars or something. I wonder if he has any real driving skills.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
Anonymous

Originally Posted by thenumber1
Originally Posted by AL
I missed the start of Tiff's review, but tuned in in time to see him completely shit his pants after the near-miss

The SFX were a bit "me-too", and they came a bit late in the day compared to TGs editing

I watched the rest of the show, though. The Airbag feature was boring, apart from the manufacturing process which was very interesting. The numberplate theft thing i was aware of, especially since the obtaining of an actual plate has become more difficult.

The "Shootout"... more like "SHITEout".... a Volvo vs. a bland Legacy. Although the Legacy is a very accomplished car, Vicki's first words in the Volvo about it being so big were fucking stupid - OF COURSE it's BIG!!! Its a fucking estate car. A complete waste of time IMO.... when was the last time TG took an estate around the track?!! (-without taking the piss.... something 5th Gear will also never achieve - comedy)

The Puma auction was exactly what i have come to expect of 5th Gear. A very boring idea on paper, and even worse when Plato shows a dent being popped out - WHY?!?!?!?! The very fact that they didn't sell the car was another huge disappointment, to be added to the brroken Koenigsegg, broken Renault Megane, the failed 200mph Lotus....

5th Gear seems more and more like TGs poor relation every week :roll:
Yup I pretty much tuned out after the civic which was resonably good I thought, resonable but short review from hairy tom. Tiffs was OK but they really need to stop doing the crap shootouts and spend more time on the likes of the cayman etc. Not the worst ep but most of it was wasted with poor crap I didn't bother to watch, this marketing assignment was more fun I bet!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
No.1
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver
I feel a bit sorry for Jon Bentley. Besides being quite funny looking and really boring, they always stick him with the segments that most people sleep through and don't care about. They should just cut out his part of the show and add in some testing segments of new cars or something. I wonder if he has any real driving skills.
He did successfully manouvere a large Mercedes off a garage forecourt

And did you get a glimpse of his passport photo... poor fellow Only kidding, it is quite harsh he doesn't get to do anything fun! He could be 5th Gears James May... nah!!!

Originally Posted by AL
Yup I pretty much tuned out after the civic which was resonably good I thought, resonable but short review from hairy tom. Tiffs was OK but they really need to stop doing the crap shootouts and spend more time on the likes of the cayman etc. Not the worst ep but most of it was wasted with poor crap I didn't bother to watch, this marketing assignment was more fun I bet!
Forgot the Civic review. A positive review of an (exciting) car, but those door handles are nothing new! Alfa, anybody

Hmm... marketing assignment... 5th gear.... marketing assignement... 5th gear... 5th gear just wins, but i don't know how long this new format can hold out for
Old 12-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #9
gangajas
Regular User

I have read in the evo forums that they have a Delta Integrale (Deltona) vs M3 (E30) EVO shoot out next week. Is this true?
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote