Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 05-07-2004, 11:04 AM   #31
TT
Regular User

Dude you can use the "quote" instead of the *** (yes I had to delete a ton of them to make the page again viewable :roll:
Old 05-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #32
TT
Regular User

My dream isn't to own a nice used WRX STI, Z06, 911, etc...It has always been a Lamborghini. If this is the way I have to go in order to achieve my dream, then so be it.
If your dream is Lamborghini, you won't achieve it by building a car yourself..

a Lamborghini is some special that allows you to attend exclusive meetings and similar.
And that of course also include VERY high costs and so on.. but a Lambo is all that, not just a shape IMO...

Lambos and similar car are what they are also thanks to the engine rebuilts you will need, the ultra expensive regular revisions etc etc...
Old 05-07-2004, 11:12 AM   #33
Anonymous

Wow that is the longest reply i've ever seen i think even longer than some of our reviews!! i read it all and some of what you have said seems very reasomnable. But you still haven't put your opinion about my main point: do you feel guilty about buying a body that is a copy of someone elses hard work, i would because i understand the amount of work that goes into the design process for even a simple product let alone a car. This is my main problem and is the main reason why i wouldn't even entertain/ buyng or making a replica car
Old 05-07-2004, 11:45 AM   #34
middleton7
Regular User

TT,
I was trying to reply to all in one. Sorry for the extra work I caused you. Did it in notepad to make it a bit easier. As for the exclusiveness, I agree. There are allot of things that go into being an owner. For me, it's the sexy styling and the raw power. Not that exclusitivity (is that a word?). Although I won't have that amazing v12, I will still have the power. Although the craftsmen at Lamborghini won't have built it, I'll still have that styling. By the way, it is a bit different than the original. Only a little. Most people wouldn't even know it, but that's not what I'm concerned with anyway. The costs.....Whew....As I said, I could purchase one, but then the high cost routine maintainance and insurance. GEESH...
It's just too much. I completely respect those that own the real thing and those at Lamborghini that build it, but it's just not happening for me.

AL123
Yes, there is a certain amount of regret. However, the exclusiveness (how about this one?) of the exotic car world is just that. It excludes the rest of the world. I'm not one who enjoys being excluded. If I want something and I can find a legal way to get it, then I'm gonna. As of yet, Lamborghini has not filed any lawsuits against the body makers of these replicas. It would be very simple for them to do and I don't really see where it would hurt their wallet a whole lot. Ferrari, however, has done so. They have shut down approx 3 different body kit manufacturers. I completely understand their actions. Now back to the Diablo body. If these cars were hurting Lamborghini's sales, I would be in greater agreement with you. However, the opposite is the fact. It's been noted on many occasions that when the rich guys see the guy down the street ,working a much lower paying job, driving a Diablo, they have occasionally gone and purchased the REAL one themselves. Now, if they would have eventually made this purchase or not, who knows? But, the male ego makes these things happen. "Hey, the guy down the street has a FAKE Diablo, check this shit out. Hey fucker, nice Fake. Check out my real one. Bet you wish yours was real!!!" So to recap, I wish I was the one that designed that body style so others didn't consider it stealing, but I didn't. It's still the sexiest car out to me so I'm gonna have that look in my front yard. For ME to look out at while I'm drinking my first cup of coffee in the morning. For ME to remember the time and craftsmenship that I put into it. Not saying it couldn't have been done better by the originators, but it's still damn nice.
middleton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:53 AM   #35
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by AL123
Wow that is the longest reply i've ever seen i think even longer than some of our reviews!! i read it all and some of what you have said seems very reasomnable. But you still haven't put your opinion about my main point: do you feel guilty about buying a body that is a copy of someone elses hard work, i would because i understand the amount of work that goes into the design process for even a simple product let alone a car. This is my main problem and is the main reason why i wouldn't even entertain/ buyng or making a replica car
Guilt?

Why - the designer has already been paid and rewarded - and does not receive royalties like an artist does.

What if you put a body-kit on your E46 - that "is a copy of the M3-GTR" - should you fgeel "guilty" for doing so? It is afterall a replica?

Guilt aside - it comes down to the essence of what is being built.

You can build a replica AC Cobra or GT40 and feel fulfilled - because the orginal cars, while unobtainable can still be faithfully represented in replica form - and deliver the same performance with ease.

Why?

Because aside from the original bodywork being aluminum, they were essentially designed and constructed much the same way you construct the replica - using the chassis, suspension and drive train components on hand...

A Diablo however, was never built using a "Ford V8" by the factory...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:08 PM   #36
Anonymous

Originally Posted by RC45
Guilt?

Why - the designer has already been paid and rewarded - and does not receive royalties like an artist does.

What if you put a body-kit on your E46 - that "is a copy of the M3-GTR" - should you fgeel "guilty" for doing so? It is afterall a replica?

You can build a replica AC Cobra or GT40 and feel fulfilled - because the orginal cars, while unobtainable can still be faithfully represented in replica form - and deliver the same performance with ease.

Why?

Because aside from the original bodywork being aluminum, they were essentially designed and constructed much the same way you construct the replica - using the chassis, suspension and drive train components on hand...

Perhaps guilt was the wrong word but i was really talking about some of the companies that basically rip off the design and don't do it justice, that is my problem with such kits/ bodyshells ( i hope this is more clear RC45 ) However i do agree that when originals are unobtainable then it may be more justified to build a replica. This has happened for some of the most obscure limited run minis mostly beilt by coach building companies like radford and some of them look fairly well made, that is more acceptable IMO as getting hold of a real one is extremly difficult. When built on a period shell with comptempary parts i consider it more of a tribute than a copy because it is done to the best of the owners ability in the same essence as the original design. Some owners of such minis will go to the extent of searching for a period engine and completely refurbishing it rather than putting a newer version of the A series engine like the one in my car which is actually from a metro!
Old 05-07-2004, 12:13 PM   #37
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by middleton7
RC45
I had no idea the "n00b" threads were so much fun...

I have missed out in a lot...

BTW, you can pickup a used Diablo in the States for as little as $150,000 - which is "cheap at the price".

A replica Diablo will fall far short of the true performance potential anyway.

Save yourself the trouble and get a used Z06..
#1 I have driven several Z06's, but I've never been a fan of Chevrolets body craftsmenship.I do agree that it's an outstanding car for American made, but just not what I want. The active suspension is a very nice touch on the new ones. Responds well. But, if I wanted a Z06, I would buy one. Obviously since I'm putting this amount of time into it, it's something I enjoy.
#2 Used Diablo. Ya know, I could feasibly go and pay cash for a new one right now, but that would kinda leave the kids college funds a bit short. And why would I pay $150,000 for someone elses car that they had very possibly ragged? When I'm done, I will have a new car for less than 1/3 that. And, none of those $20,000 visits to the factory for an overhaul at 20,000 miles. It's a damn Chevrolet engine. It doesn't need to be rebuilt or retightened at 20,000 miles. If anything does go wrong, I can rebuild it with my eyes closed.
#3 "A replica Diablo will fall far short of the true performance potential anyway". Far short? How far is far short? In what way? acceleration? Doubtful. Stock Z06 is about .5 seconds slower to 60MPH. That's not with the twin turbos. Top speed? Yeah, definitely. But, when you get to the mid 100's ( 150, 160, 170,) it's a moot point here in America. Handling? Have you ever driven a Diablo or a replica? What are you basing your statement on?
First off - I said "used car" because you appear to be caught up in the "price of things".

You claim to "have the cash to buy a Diablo now" but would rather build a replica... <--- this I find hard to believe. At least you could possibly get full return on your purchase of a real Diablo - while the replica will only have value to you - and a marginal residual value on the open market.

I doubt you have ever driven a Mazda Miata - let alone "many Z06's" - the fact that they don't have active suspension would be one of the details - and the other would be that after a trip in a 911 Twin Turbo, or a GT3 or a Viper SRT-10 or a Z06 or a REAL Diablo - the idea of replicar that could not hold it's own would be a great let down. (there is a reason some of us drive 0-60 in 4s cars... performance over posing)

What am I basing my comments about replicar Diablo performance on? There are a couple unfortunate souls in the Houston area with replicar Countach and Diablo "things" running around - and I have come across one of the fakes on the road... my stock Z06 blew it it away so bad, that when we got the the stop light and stopped he wound his window UP when I tried to do the "nice car" routine.

Perhaps my biggest issue about this entire subject is that you are the ULTIMATE RICER.

If you want to pose - go buy a civic - but it is quite clear you are not a "performance enthusiast" by any stretch of the imagination.

Good Luck in your endeavour - maybe we will meet on the road sometime... but I unless I stop and wait for you to catch up, I doubt that will be happening soon...
Old 05-07-2004, 12:17 PM   #38
Anonymous

RC45

Good Luck in your endeavour - maybe we will meet on the road sometime... but I unless I stop and wait for you to catch up, I doubt that will be ahppening soon...
LMAO i want to see this race, perhaps you could take a picture of him in your rear view mirror RC45 as i have seen you have done before when in your car
Old 05-07-2004, 12:40 PM   #39
middleton7
Regular User

Guilt?

Why?

Perhaps guilt was the wrong word but i was really talking about some of the companies that basically rip off the design and don't do it justice, that is my problem with such kits/ bodyshells ( i hope this is more clear RC45 ) However i do agree that when originals are unobtainable then it may be more justified to build a replica. This has happened for some of the most obscure limited run minis mostly beilt by coach building companies like radford and some of them look fairly well made, that is more acceptable IMO as getting hold of a real one is extremly difficult. When built on a period shell with comptempary parts i consider it more of a tribute than a copy because it is done to the best of the owners ability in the same essence as the original design. Some owners of such minis will go to the extent of searching for a period engine and completely refurbishing it rather than putting a newer version of the A series engine like the one in my car which is actually from a metro!
Which is what most builders do. Build it to the best of their ability. I, on the other hand, plan to go above that and build near perfection. The engine from the Diablo is nearly unobtainable. And the maintainence costs. I'd rather go ahead with the engine that has readily available parts and great performance potential.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:59 PM   #40
middleton7
Regular User

First off - I said "used car" because you appear to be caught up in the "price of things".

( Yes, I am. I would prefer not to spend ALL of my money on a car when I have other things even MORE important to use it for.)

You claim to "have the cash to buy a Diablo now" but would rather build a replica... <--- this I find hard to believe. At least you could possibly get full return on your purchase of a real Diablo - while the replica will only have value to you - and a marginal residual value on the open market.

(I'm not trying to make anyone believe anything. When you're working in shitty conditions for several years, you're compensated for it. I was making close to $150,000/year. That's why I have my house paid for and a substantial savings. But 5 kids means 5 people to support in college. In case you're not aware, that's not cheap. If you'll look at my prior posts, I don't want to sell the car, so I'm not looking at the residual value. I'm only interested in the value it holds to me. )

I doubt you have ever driven a Mazda Miata - let alone "many Z06's" - the fact that they don't have active suspension would be one of the details - and the other would be that after a trip in a 911 Twin Turbo, or a GT3 or a Viper SRT-10 or a Z06 or a REAL Diablo - the idea of replicar that could not hold it's own would be a great let down. (there is a reason some of us drive 0-60 in 4s cars... performance over posing)

(You're right, I haven't driven a Miata. As for the Z06's, let me repair my sentence, Active Handling (braking control etc...) and upgraded suspension. They indeed handle very well. You ever been on a trip around Nurnbergring in yours? Did it, not my car, but did it just the same.
Not hold it's own? It's your engine man? Do you realize what engine your car has? The same LS6 that I'm putting in this car. Most people build their replica on a Fiero chassis and use the shitty little 4-banger or the 3.8 V6. That's why your handing them their asses. As for racing you....HHMMMM...Well, very well could be that you'ld hand me my ass as well, but that's not what I'm going for. I enjoy the feeling of all that torque. Not to try and race you or anyone else in this forum, just because I like it. If you've been reading, I haven't mentioned racing anyone once. I'm gonna leave the posing statement alone.)

What am I basing my comments about replicar Diablo performance on? There are a couple unfortunate souls in the Houston area with replicar Countach and Diablo "things" running around - and I have come across one of the fakes on the road... my stock Z06 blew it it away so bad, that when we got the the stop light and stopped he wound his window UP when I tried to do the "nice car" routine.

Perhaps my biggest issue about this entire subject is that you are the ULTIMATE RICER.

If you want to pose - go buy a civic - but it is quite clear you are not a "performance enthusiast" by any stretch of the imagination.

Good Luck in your endeavour - maybe we will meet on the road sometime... but I unless I stop and wait for you to catch up, I doubt that will be happening soon...

(Ricer? How many times have you heard me mention anything about Japanese cars? What are you talking about? Are you grasping at more ways to put me down? What the hell? What are you trying to prove? As for the "performance enthusiast" comment, yeah, that's why I'm putting a plain little stock low output engine in my car. Man, I just don't get where you're coming up with these ideas.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:02 PM   #41
middleton7
Regular User

RC45

Good Luck in your endeavour - maybe we will meet on the road sometime... but I unless I stop and wait for you to catch up, I doubt that will be ahppening soon...
LMAO i want to see this race, perhaps you could take a picture of him in your rear view mirror RC45 as i have seen you have done before when in your car
Don't count on seeing this race. First, I'm gonna be workin on this car forever. IT's gonna take a long time. Second, why would I drive to Texas to prove a point? Kinda senseless.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:06 PM   #42
TT
Regular User

BTW, this discussion could go on forever between people loving replicas and people hating them... but I fear we are WAY offtopic so if you'd like to discuss your project well, we have "car chat" were you can start with posting pics and such once things will start and also get more "views" that what you are getting in this topic

It's time to come back on track here (and I think the on-topic discussion ended time ago )
Old 05-07-2004, 01:09 PM   #43
corvette97
Regular User

Originally Posted by corvette97
make a lambo replica with a v8 and slam 2 turbos there and i wont be mad at you
If it's sarcasm, save it. If your being honest, thanks.
IS NOT SARCASM, BUT i would have to see a replica looking fucin fast but with a v6 and zero power, soo, if you are gonna make it, make it good, IMO TWIN TURBO is the best option, try to get a s4 audi engine
Old 05-07-2004, 01:10 PM   #44
middleton7
Regular User

TT
Agreed. You gonna move it to car chat or should we just start another topic there?
Old 05-07-2004, 01:11 PM   #45
RC45
Regular User

RC45

Don't count on seeing this race. First, I'm gonna be workin on this car forever. IT's gonna take a long time. Second, why would I drive to Texas to prove a point? Kinda senseless.
Prove what point? You will have a fake Lambo... no point to prove.

If you really do have the money - and still insist on building a fake... how sad - why not take "all your money" and buy an LS6 powered Mosler..??

Anyway - back on topic... what was the question again? How to get at the videos?

I am guessing a fake lambo is not the quickest route...