Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-02-2004, 12:00 AM   #1
corvette97
Regular User

Default Japanese cars have replaced de american muscle??

since the camaro was taken off the market, the mustang has no performance/price competitor, now a days the shit is between EVO AND IMPREZA STI, have you forgotten the old muscle and fall into the hands of inline power?? does affordable american power disapeared or its just a period, will GM appeared with a concept to compete with FORD??
Old 01-02-2004, 12:01 AM   #2
corvette97
Regular User

please let me know your you opinion!!! thanx
Old 01-02-2004, 12:18 AM   #3
blah
Regular User

Lol, you wish Japan has replaced American muscle (points to Corvette C6, the New mustang, the new lightning, the new SRT-10 RAM/Vipers, Ford GT, Saleen S7, and Pontiac GTO.)
Old 01-02-2004, 12:25 AM   #4
corvette97
Regular User

blah, i meant in the performance/price market, of course that in higher market, where the corvette, viper, saleen the japanese cars have no chance, but i meant in the area of 35k$ or less, maybe the pontiac GTO have a chance to stand for, but i meant if they have replaced the competition between cars, (camaro vs. mustang) now is (evo vs impreza), but thats the competition in a lower market, but the corvette vs viper comp. is still there
:fist:
Old 01-02-2004, 12:27 AM   #5
corvette97
Regular User

cuz' americans are looking for import power, wheter you like ot or not
Old 01-02-2004, 12:40 AM   #6
blah
Regular User

used C5 vettes are going for around the 35K area, you can get cobras in some parts of american for GT prices.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:43 AM   #7
blah
Regular User

Yea, but look under the hood, its a damn truck engine, if that at american muscle what is?
Old 01-02-2004, 12:49 AM   #8
snacky
Regular User

The American manufacturers shifted their production to more profitable SUVS and trucks. I hate SUVs and truck drivers, they cant drive or park period. As for American performance cars, yes, they've moved further upmarket just like the Germans. Management-wise, it's harder to extract the same productivity from European and American auto-workers (unionized) than from Japanese auto workers (used to be guaranteed lifetime job) so the Germans and Americans are constantly moving further and further upmarket.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:59 AM   #9
jpatino03
Regular User

Times are changing, man. People also want build quality and handling these days which, quite frankly, domestics (with a few exceptions) don't have. There is hope, however. The new GTO is quite promising, and , if they get it right, the new Mustang could be great too.

Oh yeah, they also don't want their cars to be ugly as hell.

Phil Hill, Kappa Sigma for life.
jpatino03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 02:50 AM   #10
blah
Regular User

You guys have a misconception about domestics, The door panels may come off, the knobs on the radio may break, but that engine will last alot of beatings.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:57 AM   #11
corvette97
Regular User

most americans can't afford having a ferrari, lambo, or even a corvette, not cuz' of the price, cuz' you can get a corvette for 17k$ but the price to maintain it is high, or at least more expensive to run a subaru, what i meant is that since the camaro is dead the competition between the mustang is over, if you ask a car enthusiast its more probable that he is gonna choose a s2000 or a evo 8 or a sti instead of a mustang, so that means that the american muscle among the market that is focused for: more performance, less price...in that market has died, the young people are not looking for muscles like the camaro and mustangs, they are looking for sti's, evo's, impreza and hondas, and modified cars, (wich i really dont like- blah- cuz' if i could i would buy a plymounth barracuda or a small block or a dodge challenger eith 440hp) but people know looks for performance/price/gas mileage, lol, but you can't get that from a muscle, you have performace/price, but not gas mileage :roll:
Old 01-02-2004, 03:05 AM   #12
snacky
Regular User

Originally Posted by corvette97
most americans can't afford having a ferrari, lambo, or even a corvette, not cuz' of the price, cuz' you can get a corvette for 17k$ :
if you want american performance, it'll cost you at least 30 grand for an SVT and at least 40 grand for a vette. They moved upmarket.
snacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 06:37 AM   #13
oldsnail
Regular User

Originally Posted by blah
You guys have a misconception about domestics, The door panels may come off, the knobs on the radio may break, but that engine will last alot of beatings.
actually, my folks had a new ford windstar few years ago, all the panels stayed on, but requiring to rebuild something with less than 8k's on a new vehcile not covered by warrenty sucks.
whats expected is that the value dropped more than 1/2 when they tried to get rid of it.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:58 AM   #14
corvette97
Regular User

snacky, i know that those are prices for NEW cars, but i meant USED cars, i've seen some corvettes under 19k$ on ebay,
There you said it corvette97, "gas mileage".
And that's something europeans will understand more than you americans. Here a litre of fuel costs about a €/$ .
i dont understand what you tried to say?? sorry
Old 01-03-2004, 03:05 AM   #15
corvette97
Regular User

LOL,I know you are just 16 but still...........
Do you really belive there are no jap car that can hang with those cars.
i dont need to have 26 to know more about cars than you do, but i meant STOCK cars not moded, i know that a hhigly modded supra or a 1000hp skyline can beat a saleen or a viper, and even the stock evo can beat a viper, but a EVO is not a stock car even if they sell the car from a dealership the car is modded from factory, the stock lancer is 1.3 li 4 cyl with like 108 hp, and i have been reading,watching, seeing, about cars since i was 9, so i know pretty much abut cars.... thanxs for your opinion