Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-08-2006, 02:09 AM   #61
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Originally Posted by ellen feiss
Ok then... High-end digital audio mass market. market being everyone who'll buy digital audio players.
High end audio is digital

But it aint MP3

Thats all Im saying, be it Ipod, DellPod or CreativePOD.

Its actually not a stab at Apple, its a stab at mp3.

High end digital audio is DVD-A and SACD.

There is no High-End audio mass market.

Because there is no "high-end" anything for the mass market be it butt plugs, cigars or mp3 players.

Once again, not a personal attack or a mac attack
i have to diss-agree,
the best audio will always be an LP with a good cartridge.
digital audio will always place 2nd to true audiophile

now, on to the portable players.
if you play have WAV files on your iPod it will sound just as good as a WAV file on any other player.

itunes does not support FLAC or SHN (common lossless files) but does support Apple Lossless (MP4). and with plenty of head to head test, many have seen that the apple lossless is up to par if not better then FLAC with most audio files.

now if you want to talk about DVD-A and super audio discs. how many people can hear the diff. between 16-and 24bit? do you want to know how small the % of the population it is. its a joke, people who buy this, are just like some suck boy walking around telling everyone he has a bigger dick.

in the end for music, vinyl is the best.
but the for portable players the iPod is best out there. simple. easy to use. good bank for you buck in HD size. only thing other players have is fm-tuner built in, and flac support.

nowt this was way off topic... sorry
Old 08-08-2006, 02:13 AM   #62
Toronto
Regular User

Are lossless audio formats part of "high-end digital audio"?
When you can buy a studio album recoreded in FLAC or such, and then buy a device for the playback of the media then sure
first you can buy FLAC files form bands, they just have to care about their fans ie. Pearl Jam.

2nd, FLAC files are lower quailty then CD WAV files.
CD WAV files are lower quailty then DVD-A audio files
DVD-A is lower then vinyl

(also iTunes will offer apple lossless files for sale soon)
Old 08-08-2006, 02:47 AM   #63
evoWalo
Regular User

There's a lossless format that's natively supported on the iPod called ALAC. Works with everything but zee Shuffle.

This must me the most mangled thread everrrrrrr.
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:42 AM   #64
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

2 of those 2.66 Xeon CPU's are about 1400, a lone :shock:

oh yea, Flac is not Hi-Fi..

Hi Fi is a REAL CD (Not CD-R) and up (DVD Audio, Vinyl).

Oh yeah, and those are only Hi fi if played on a real Hi Fi system.. I'll have to take pics of my new apartment when I move in with my hi fi freak roommate
Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #65
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
i have to diss-agree,
the best audio will always be an LP with a good cartridge.
digital audio will always place 2nd to true audiophile

now, on to the portable players.
if you play have WAV files on your iPod it will sound just as good as a WAV file on any other player.

itunes does not support FLAC or SHN (common lossless files) but does support Apple Lossless (MP4). and with plenty of head to head test, many have seen that the apple lossless is up to par if not better then FLAC with most audio files.

now if you want to talk about DVD-A and super audio discs. how many people can hear the diff. between 16-and 24bit? do you want to know how small the % of the population it is. its a joke, people who buy this, are just like some suck boy walking around telling everyone he has a bigger dick.

in the end for music, vinyl is the best.
but the for portable players the iPod is best out there. simple. easy to use. good bank for you buck in HD size. only thing other players have is fm-tuner built in, and flac support.

nowt this was way off topic... sorry
Sure but maintaining vynil is PITA and you know it. If you want to go for the high end you gotta bust out a few grand in a player, replace the cartridge now and then, besides, all the wear and tare on the vynil. And how much stuff can you get on vynil anyway?

I got some new DM stuff on vynil but this is limited print singles and stuff.

And yes I can hear the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit. My dad has been an audiophile since his early days and Ive just been raised to have good ears.

Its a joke?

And I guess I go telling everyone I have a bigger dick
High-End anything is for 5% of the population. So the argument of why bother when few can hear it is useless.
The general population thinks that watching an LCD TV on your low resolution RF cable source stretched out and pixilated, or your plasma and hell knows what is high end television
Where I personaly have not seen shit any worse.

In the end for music vynil is simply not realistic anymore. It's just not practical, hard to get and maintan.

Besides all the new vynils that they make today are made from a digital source in the first place. So that totaly defeats the purpose of vynil. So whats the point when even the new vynil releases are made from a digital source?

And if you really want to get into it then studio reels would be the HIGH END.

I never heard one, but I do remeber the boxes and boxes of reel tapes my dad had back in the shit hole USSR. You see he ripped vynil to reel tapes in the 70s, something that was worhy of a jail sentence back then
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #66
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Are lossless audio formats part of "high-end digital audio"?
When you can buy a studio album recoreded in FLAC or such, and then buy a device for the playback of the media then sure
first you can buy FLAC files form bands, they just have to care about their fans ie. Pearl Jam.

2nd, FLAC files are lower quailty then CD WAV files.
CD WAV files are lower quailty then DVD-A audio files
DVD-A is lower then vinyl

(also iTunes will offer apple lossless files for sale soon)
With FLAC compression, or mp3 or mp4 or any other digital method of compression I can use different levels of compression, in which case whats lower or higher quality is at the hands of man in charge.

I can record that guitar sample in normal Audio CD format and make it lower quality then my large flac file.

I can record a 30sec guitar sample plugged into my rig. In wav not compressed I can make it up to 100mb big. I can use multple forms of compression. From mp3 to flac and make either one of them the higher quality end product based on the compression levels I used.

Any form of digital compression is a compromise between file size and quality. And each form of compression has a different method of signal processing.

So we should be taking in size per quality ratio, or something like that. Not which is the better quality. Because ultimatly I can make just about any form of digital compression beat the next in line at the expense of file size.

What we have to wait for is blu-ray or such where we can record an audio in digital with absolutly no compression, where the digital recording=analog.

Same applies for television.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #67
SFDMALEX
Regular User

And lastly, you can count the studios that use tapes on your fingers now.

Sadly its all gone to digital recording now. I just actually read an older Rolling Stone article on how so few studios stayed with tapes.

So what are the studios doing now? Well recording in 24 bit digital audio?

Now explain to me why wouldnt I want a DVD-A that is pretty much the copy of the studio recording? And it being a digital copy, you dont get the quality loss of the analog alternative where copy to copy you loose quality.

Turst me man, I love my TV analog, my music analog and my pron analog. But as far as music goes, we got no choice. Or we do. We can stick to listening junk MP3 or choose your good ol CD and SACD and DVD-A.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #68
Toronto
Regular User

most big bands and small bands come out with LP's
just go to rotate this @ bath. and queen. all the big and small punk/new wave stuff is there.
and plenty of other stores that sell new vinyl. (and the interweb is good for stuff too ) and i am sure you can buy more new music on vinyl then on SACD and DVD-A.

a cartridge doesn't need to be replaced that often, in fact i have one table that is over 35 years old and plays so clean it will make your pants wet.

hi fi set up does cost alot @ first. (i know when i was 16 i could of bought a used car, or my set up.... and i went for the setup) but it in a good house it will last a lifetime.

to maintain, not a pain in the ass for me. i love pulling out the record and wipping it down with a cleaner for what all of 15sec?

i don't know about how many pro. studios that have gone 100% digital, abbey road still is analog i know that, as is electric lady land, and i know on my latest whitestripes album it says, 100% analog no computers in big text.

analog tapes are hard to maintain. but who can still buy play cassettes?

and last but not least. if the audio source is from the same master "digital source" an LP will play it better then a DVD-A cause it is an analog source for the receiver and speakers. no wav conversion. and you only loose quaity if you copy the source (like make a mix tape of your LP) but guess what, know you can make a exact digital copy of your music with a good sound card via your PC.

woo woo one last thing. most major recording studio use macs.... i guess you want to call them up and yell at them and change over to PC?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #69
nthfinity
Regular User

woo woo one last thing. most major recording studio use macs.... i guess you want to call them up and yell at them and change over to PC?
because they are ingrained to do so.

I've been usuing pro level PC digital mixing progs since late 2000; and can attest that I've yet to see a mac that can do it better, or be more straight forward. .... its the same from PC to mac IMO there.

as far as sound reproduction goes...
I call BS on things "sounding the same as recorded"
It comes to personal preference, and thats where I prefer an individual channel no less then 16 band graphic eq, and If i could, I'd change it with each song, and have those levels saved for each song.

take Metallica St-anger for instance.... its a great album that was recorded for shit... but it can sound better with playing with the EQ a lot...
Old 08-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #70
Toronto
Regular User

^^^ all early metallica albums sound shit. (not that st anger is one )
but master of puppets is prob. the best album with the worse sound.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #71
nthfinity
Regular User

Justice is better IMO and sounds even worse (turned wayyyyy down bass)

but you like the sound of Stanger? I love the music, but it doesn't sound good until they play it live, and Kirk does his solos, and there is sweet sounding proper snare; and Jaymz has some proper metal distortion.

if you think early MetallicA sounds like shit (recording wise) you should listen to The Misfits "Plan 9" album LOL
Old 08-08-2006, 06:50 PM   #72
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Should I be surprised?

Most of the pro studio software was availible only to Mac just like the adobe programs not so long ago.

However now all of the mac software is availible on PC and PC actually has some more programs.

I have Sonar and Cubase installed on this very rig

Macs will still be in studios for a while, until they are phased out with PCs.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #73
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Justice is better IMO and sounds even worse (turned wayyyyy down bass)

but you like the sound of Stanger? I love the music, but it doesn't sound good until they play it live, and Kirk does his solos, and there is sweet sounding proper snare; and Jaymz has some proper metal distortion.

if you think early MetallicA sounds like shit (recording wise) you should listen to The Misfits "Plan 9" album LOL
You should listen to Blue Cheer (if you into heavy psych music) Vincebus Eruptum, when they made this album the studio tech said, "don't turn your amps up all the way, let me do it on my end", their answer... "NO"

prob. the best/worst sounding album. it is so heavy for the 60's and the distortion is so bad it is good...
Old 08-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #74
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Staying on topic this lucky bastard already has one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=222939
Old 08-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #75
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pimp Racer
Staying on topic this lucky bastard already has one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=222939
Thank god for some sanity.

If you want to watch the keynote go to http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

if you just want to listen or you're using dialup go to http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/a..._audio_ref.mov