Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-01-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
TransAm
Regular User

Default Drive letter help! Please? C:/ D:/ E:/ F:/ etc

Hi all

Just a quick question, ok heres the scenario:

I had to reformat my PC at the weekend, I got a virus which I couldn't seem to get rid of and I managed to copy all my personal stuff (pics and docs) onto a CD before I reformatted...anyway... When I reinstalled XP I had a USB cable plugged in, and perhaps I shouldnt have left it plugged in.

Upon restarting a nice new clean copy of XP, I find that the Disk Drives have the following letters allocated to them:

A:/ = floppy, as you'd expect. No Problem
C:/ = Main HDD, as you'd expect. No Problem

D:/ = 'Removable USB Storage Device (WTF?) which I never had before - I don't have such a thing, but the PC is recognising another drive

Now my DVD drive is of course recognised as drive E:/

and my CDRW drive is recognised as drive F:/

Ideally, I'd prefer my drives to be A: (floppy) C: (HDD) DCD) and E: (DVD) only.

Is there an easy way of changing the drive letters that the PC allocates to each of my storage devices without reinstalling XP all over again?

While I have obviously fucked up a bit here, I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me how to get back to having drives A,C,D and E only, please please please!!!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 04:08 PM   #2
Stingray

yes thats easy

right click on the 'my computer' icon on your desktop, choose 'manage' from the menu that pops up.. that opens the MMC (management console), near the bottom of the list in the left pane of that window is 'disk management', open that and from there you can select the drives and choose 'change drive letter and paths' option to change it.. after you've finished reboot to get the new assignments working correctly
Old 09-01-2004, 04:09 PM   #3
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
yes thats easy

right click on the 'my computer' icon on your desktop, choose 'manage' from the menu that pops up.. that opens the MMC (management console), near the bottom of the list in the left pane of that window is 'disk management', open that and from there you can select the drives and choose 'change drive letter and paths' option to change it.. after you've finished reboot to get the new assignments working correctly
Cheers mate!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
dickiedick

np

BTW you can also get to the management console through the control panel
control panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management