Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
SnakeBitten
Regular User

Default ACR beats Supperleggera and GT3 at WSIR

Beats em by over 3 secs a lap on the 2.5 mile WSIR high speed track. Despite the title of the article no ZR1/Z06 or Scuderia was tested. A bit of a let down. ACR seemed to be a preproduction "durability" mule. Enjoy
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6460
Old 02-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
gangajas
Regular User

Really fast car, but I read in this forum that is not exactly a road car.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
SnakeBitten
Regular User

Originally Posted by gangajas View Post
Really fast car, but I read in this forum that is not exactly a road car.
Judge for yourself. Its got a vin number, AC, Radio, power leather seats, Lights, airbags, no roll cage etc. If this car is not a street car then neither is the GT3 Porsche which actually comes with a rollcage. You have the option as a buyer to delete ac, adio, sound deadening, carpet etc if you are totally going to only use it for the track. The only difference between it and the regular Viper is suspension, and aero addons. Everything else can be exactly like the regular coupe. The Comp Coupe is the one thats not a street car. It doesnt have a vin number and can only be bought by licensed race teams/drivers for track only use.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten View Post
Judge for yourself. Its got a vin number, AC, Radio, power leather seats, Lights, airbags, no roll cage etc. If this car is not a street car then neither is the GT3 Porsche which actually comes with a rollcage. You have the option as a buyer to delete ac, adio, sound deadening, carpet etc if you are totally going to only use it for the track. The only difference between it and the regular Viper is suspension, and aero addons. Everything else can be exactly like the regular coupe. The Comp Coupe is the one thats not a street car. It doesnt have a vin number and can only be bought by licensed race teams/drivers for track only use.
Originally Posted by Road & Track
The ACR is equipped with the same V-10 engine and 6-speed manual transmission found in the stock Viper. The two also share the same basic interior fitment. However, that is where the similarities end.
The folks who have seen, filmed,driven and tested it do not agree with you - and neither will the rest o fthe performance car world.

(and before you get all bent out of shape and make this into a personal attack-festm I will remind you of the site forum civility rules.

In other words, don't make make your personal opinions of another poster show through as fighting and argumentative posts.)
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
Svensson
Regular User

Question

^ Then please explain why a GT3 RS is considered to be a roadcar and this ACR isn't? I don't follow anymore...
Old 02-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Svensson View Post
^ Then please explain why a GT3 RS is considered to be a roadcar and this ACR isn't? I don't follow anymore...
The GT3 RS, CSL and ACR are very thinly disguised "street legal" trackday cars.

Everyone in the know (owners, manufacturers, testers and racers) agrees on this - the fact that the cars ship with RACE TRACK tyres says it all.

Michelin Pilot SPort Cup tyres may be "technically" street-legal tyres, they how ever carry no warranty from the manufacturer.

This fact alone should help clear up any misconceptions that the GT3 RS, M3 CSL and ACR (as an example) were intended to be anything more than superb track ready cars (not race winners as racing cars are stripped further) but track ready cars, that also happen to be streetable and meet minimum requirements for basic roadworthy.

Porsche, BMW and Dodge did not intend (and make no claim - in fact theyrecommend not using the cars with Sport Cup tyres in wet weather) for these 3 cars to be used as daily drivers to and from work in sun and rain the same way a "regular" version of thos cars may be used

Last edited by RC45; 02-24-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
Svensson
Regular User

^ Ok, then it's fair enough. At first it seemed like you considered the GT3 RS to be more of a roadcar than the ACR, but in this case I agree with your explanation.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Svensson View Post
^ Ok, then it's fair enough. At first it seemed like you considered the GT3 RS to be more of a roadcar than the ACR, but in this case I agree with your explanation.
And in fact, that is why some of us non-poser Vette fans are a bit dissapointed that the new ZR1 is a even less hardcore than the C6 Z06... but we are not surprised... as GM makes their money selling Vettes to posers, which drives the price down low enough so that Z06's are realy cheap and easy to get for the enthusiast Vette fans..
Old 02-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Svensson
Regular User

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hardcore track-oriented roadcars
Wish the Z06 versions weren't so expensive here in the NL...
Old 02-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
enzoferrari
Regular User

Thanks for sharing,the Viper is just 2 fast.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
SnakeBitten
Regular User

Yawwwwwwnnnnnn. Svenson as with everything in life everyone has an opinion. Listen to all of them then make up your own mind. Bottomline is the car is sold as a street car with many of the basic creature comforts you will find in a typical street car. Racecars in general dont have AC, Radio, leather seats, carpeting, sound deadening etc and a warranty. The ACR has all of that just like the regular Viper.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

Yawwwwwwnnnnnn. Svenson as with everything in life everyone has an opinion. Listen to all of them then make up your own mind. Bottomline is the car is sold as a street car with many of the basic creature comforts you will find in a typical street car. Racecars in general dont have AC, Radio, leather seats, carpeting, sound deadening etc and a warranty. The ACR has all of that just like the regular Viper.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres do not carry a warranty and ar enot recommended for use in wet weather per Michelin, BMW, Porsche and Dodge.

If you cannot appreciate these facts, then that is your loss - but never the less does not change the view the manufacurers have of thei rown cars.

Why not take you argument to Dodge, BMW and Porsche since you are of the opinion that the RS, CSL and ACR are "just ordinary regular work-a-day street cars".

Testers, owners and the manufacturers admit to and make no appologies for the compromises that make these cars more track car than street cars - the opinion of a few fanboys doesnt change these facts either.

Why ar eyou always trying to argue the point that the likes of RS, CSL and now ACR are "just street cars"?

What are you basing your adament argument on? We would love to know.

(Again, see if at all possible you can stick to the topic and not resort to cheap name calling, and trolling )

Last edited by RC45; 02-24-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #13
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
And in fact, that is why some of us non-poser Vette fans are a bit dissapointed that the new ZR1 is a even less hardcore than the C6 Z06... but we are not surprised... as GM makes their money selling Vettes to posers, which drives the price down low enough so that Z06's are realy cheap and easy to get for the enthusiast Vette fans..
RC, I'm sick of the arbitrary poser talk from the other thread.

Anyway, if I were a bigger fan of the Viper (with a good chunk of change), I could see using the ACR as a roadcar. It is very similar to the standard Viper but more hardcore. As an enthusiasist and owner of a TA with a stiff suspension, I wouldn't mind the ride and noise levels. Yes, the tires would wear quickly compared to others but most hoons have learned to accept the expensive reality of quick tire wear. I'd probably get something a bit less aggressive if the car were to see lots of road use. But that's just it, it likely won't. It'd be fun to have a car that wouldn't need trailering and could be driven around town when the urge struck. I'm glad to see the ACR return.

RC and Snakebitten haven't yet pointed out any specifics that contradict. Instead it seems to be an argument of emphasis.

Hmm, this is off topic, but when Clarkson rips the Z06 for not being a good road car compared to the Ferrari 550, he forgets to mention that the 550 flattens bumps much better as it weights 3800 lbs.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
SnakeBitten
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres do not carry a warranty and ar enot recommended for use in wet weather per Michelin, BMW, Porsche and Dodge.

If you cannot appreciate these facts, then that is your loss - but never the less does not change the view the manufacurers have of thei rown cars.

Why not take you argument to Dodge, BMW and Porsche since you are of the opinion that the RS, CSL and ACR are "just ordinary regular work-a-day street cars".

Testers, owners and the manufacturers admit to and make no appologies for the compromises that make these cars more track car than street cars - the opinion of a few fanboys doesnt change these facts either.

Why ar eyou always trying to argue the point that the likes of RS, CSL and now ACR are "just street cars"?

What are you basing your adament argument on? We would love to know.

(Again, see if at all possible you can stick to the topic and not resort to cheap name calling, and trolling )
Amazing how you try to split hairs to make your point of view acceptable LOL. Now you are resorting to "just street cars", "just ordinary regular work-a-day street cars". LMAO.

Nice try. Most focused sportscar for the street aint ordinary lol. Fact is the ACR is sold as a streetcar focused for the track moreso than the regular Viper. What race car do you know comes with heavy leather seats, AC, Radio, carpeting, sound deadening, WARRANTY? Keep the "innocent" act up but you aint fooling nobody We all know you like to fight over the simplest things.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #15
RC45
Regular User

Amazing how you try to split hairs to make your point of view acceptable LOL. Now you are resorting to "just street cars", "just ordinary regular work-a-day street cars". LMAO.

Nice try. Most focused sportscar for the street aint ordinary lol. Fact is the ACR is sold as a streetcar focused for the track moreso than the regular Viper. What race car do you know comes with heavy leather seats, AC, Radio, carpeting, sound deadening, WARRANTY? Keep the "innocent" act up but you aint fooling nobody We all know you like to fight over the simplest things.
I am not splitting hairs. My statements have not change at all since you started in on this rubbish.

You are foolishly trying to make it out that the ACR is "jusy like any other Viper" - well that is odd.. Dodge and every person who has driven or tested one aggrees with me, not you.

The ACR is not "just like every other Viper - if its was, then Dodge would not have bothered to build it.

The same is true for the CSL, and GT3 RS - the cars are not, and were never intended to be their manufacturers "work a day" models.

And please - do some home work and check your facts - Michelin Pilot Sport Cups do not carry a warranty - they are competition tyres with DOT certification, not street tyres to use on a track.

Oh - and the "innocent" act is for your benfit buddy - because if you start slagging and name calling and personally attacking (as you seem to do) you will be summarily banned - so in a way I can't wait for you to start mouthing off with the personal attacks.

For some or other reason you are determined to make out that there is barely anything special about the new ACR - we all know why this is, so that when it "beats" other ordinary street cars in some arbitrary shootout you can go around posting as such.

Just be adult about it an acknowledge the ACR is a prpose built version of the Dodge Viper that is purposefully focused at the track, and just so happens to be street legal (to allow it to qualify to be used in many race classes).

This is the same reason Porsche produce a GT3 RS as well as non-streetable Cup cars.

I can almost guarantee that had someone else pointed these facts out to you, you would be more accepting, but your personal anger and hatred is getting in the way.

Let it go - the facts are there for the reading:

Originally Posted by Road & Track
The ACR is equipped with the same V-10 engine and 6-speed manual transmission found in the stock Viper. The two also share the same basic interior fitment. However, that is where the similarities end.
This is not my opinion - this is another observer. Seems Road & Track is in my camp on this one.