Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 10-04-2004, 01:46 AM   #1
revvv_pshhh
Regular User

Default GT3 Vs. Turbo

let me ask you guys a question, why did they build the turbo AWD but then the GT3 and GT2 RWD?? What are your thoughts on Porshes AWD vs. RWD. I know both handle like a dream so if it was up to you would you go with a Turbo or a GT3 and why?
revvv_pshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:51 AM   #2
T-Bird
Regular User

well the GT3 and GT2 are more hardcore cars, the GT3 is a pure sports car keeping it simple and the GT3 RS even further so no fancy aids, the GT2 is a fast as ... car designed to go very fast at times, the Turbo is made for everyday use hence the AWD and other goodies to make it driveable.
I would take the Turbo even if I could afford the GT3 just because I can have fun and be safe with the Turbo all year round what with the snow and all.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 02:04 AM   #3
revvv_pshhh
Regular User

im from california
revvv_pshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 02:06 AM   #4
T-Bird
Regular User

not as fun then and you have earthquakes.
Snow is soo much fun to drive in, and some of the best drivers are from places that have snow, I would love to drive a Turbo or Murcielago (something high power and AWD ) in a nice little 6 inch snow fall it would be fun. just laying on it at the light and not spinning out in the process.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 02:10 AM   #5
zmydust823
Regular User

All the porsche Gt series cars (Gt2, gt3, and CGT) are all RWD soo they must have decided those are their "track cars"..even tho all porsche rock on the track...my favorite porsche are the GT series just because they are the hardcore racing porsche, RWD and built for the track..im not a big fan of tubos but GT2 is amazing..but if i had to decide between a GT3 and a turbo i would take a GT3 hands down
Old 10-04-2004, 02:22 AM   #6
lakatu
Regular User

Well that is an interesting question that I actually asked st-anger a while back. You appear relatively new to Porsche Central so let me tell you a little about st-anger so that you will understand the basis of his expertise on the question.

St-anger currently works for Porsche and several years back was extensively involved as an engineer in the drive train development of the 996TT. So he is extremely knowledgeable about the function and advantages of the AWD verses the RWD only models.

Let me post the link to the section where I asked this question. If you continue reading through this section you will find several posts were st-anger and myself discussed the advantages of the AWD system. See if this answers your questions .

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=147430#147430
Old 10-13-2004, 10:34 AM   #7
cooperluke
Regular User

I would take the Turbo even if I could afford the GT3
??
The Turbo is cheaper than the GT3 in America?

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:45 PM   #8
netwolf232
Regular User

118,000 MSRP for the turbo and 99,900 for the GT3. I would personally take the GT3 over the Turbo but they are really in different leagues. The turbo is a "street" car that is trackable and the GT3 is a "track" car that is streetable. There are a lot of added goodies on the turbo that make it much more of a daily driver and in turn add a significant amount of weight. Unfortunately there are many bad drives out there who are not capable of owning a 400+ hp car with out some sort of driving aid. I would make a bet that the AWD would factor into a safety issue as well.
-Andrew
netwolf232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:29 PM   #9
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
not as fun then and you have earthquakes.
Snow is soo much fun to drive in, and some of the best drivers are from places that have snow, I would love to drive a Turbo or Murcielago (something high power and AWD ) in a nice little 6 inch snow fall it would be fun. just laying on it at the light and not spinning out in the process.
ROFL...I know what you mean, but a 911 Turbo or Murcielago wouldn't be able to move in 6 inches of snow...they don't even have that much ground clearance hehehe.
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 07:27 PM   #10
DJF1
Regular User

all wheel drive is certainly "safer" on a rear engine 911. Up to 9/10th's any 911 is a fantastic driving machine. Cross the threshold and they can bite. I have had snap oversteer a few times and I can tell you it comes from nowhere...
Believe it or not the latest 911's come from the factory with understeer character! Enthousiasts like me try to dial out the annoying, but safe, understeer. Drive the car to the limit and at the entry you have understeer and after the apex oversteer. Talking about jeckil and hide character At any rate though learning to drive a 911 fast is a hugely rewarding experience and after that literally you do not want to drive anything else... Having AWD with all that power makes things a bit less complicated for sure but one must never forget that they drive a 911. Although the Porsche engineers have done an unbelievable job all these years, the car still has the engine hanging out there on the back!
Ah driving a 911...surely there is NO substitute!
DJF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:53 PM   #11
zmydust823
Regular User

gt3 gt3 gt3