Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 09-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #1
DJF1
Regular User

Default Vid by member DJF1: MUST SEE!

Porsche Carrera GT, GT3,Cayenne TT on track (in-car video)!

For your viewing pleasure I uploaded my in-car video from a recent track event which the Master St-Anger will link on this post.
Here is a bit of the backround. The event was hosted by the Lone Star Region of the Porsche Club of America ( Houston TX region) at our home track the Texas World Speedway which is a 2.9 mile roadcourse. This track used to be a superspeedway but its not used anymore as such and we only use on of the banked ( 20 degrees) straights as our main straight before you do the infield.
On the video I drive my Porsche 993 RS clone which is modified for racing with a Heigo cage and all safety equipment, JRZ triple adjustable shocks, RS big reds, 700 lbs front springs, 900 lbs rear springs and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup R compound tires. The car is about 300hp with a shorter RS gearing and at this stage 2945 pounds with full tank.
Having been racing with the club usually on such events I'm placed with the "advanced" groups where we are doing some pretty good speeds... This time around as I registered very late, I agreed to be placed on the intermediate group as there was no more space in my group. Besides I was very rusty ( my driving in this video is not my fastest) as I had not driven the car for 7 months due to a back injury ... So as you will see on the video I encounter several Porsche cars and of course a Carrera GT!!! I'm really happy that the owner brought the car to the track as he should instead of living it collecting dust in a garage like most owners do with these kind of cars... To his credit as well , he was learning how to drive the car and I'm sure when he gets more experience he will absolutely leave everyone in the dust!
A few words about the track layout and speeds:
Turn 1 is after the main banked straight. At the end of the straight I'm doing about 140mph on 5th gear and then you lift and while you literally dive into turn 1 I get back on the throttle to stabilize the car before I brake like there is no tomorrow for turn 2.
Turn 2 is a left sweeper , very fast with exit speed about 105 MPH on 4th gear which leads to a short straight where I brake hard and downshift for turn 3 a right hander classic apex turn. Here its slippery at the exit , the car understeers a lot and the exit speed is about 80mph , then down on the short straight. Here I max 3rd or upshift to 4th if I had good exit speed, then back on the brakes on the bumpy section for turn 4 on 3rd gear and about 70mph. Then upshift to 4th for turn 5 which is a setup turn for turn 6 which is a very important left hander as it leads to the next longest straight on the track. So there I downshift to 3rd, touch the brakes to tuck the nose in and dive towards a classic midturn apex. Exit speed about 80 mph and full throttle , upshift to 4th and then setup for turn 7 which is the scariest of them all!!! This turn is the fast uphill left hander, entry speed here is about 95-100mph, more if you have more guts but the key is to get it right!!! You MUST hit the apex right as the turn has positive camber and the car will hook up and load nicely under throttle. If you miss the apex , the track goes to negative camber and with the speed you are doing you are going to have a nusty off into the gravel. So dive on turn 7, make sure the car is loaded with throttle and then floor it before you make the exit a straight line , brake heavily and downshift to 3rd. Turn 8 is a left hander, another setup turn for turn 9 which is a very important downhill right hander and very slippery at the exit. Its important to hit the cement patch on the inside to gain a few inches of pavement at the exit of 9 otherwise you are on the grass if you are on full throtle on 3rd. Down the shut then and here from 90mph brake really hard for the slowest turn on the track. The Carousel... its very very slippery and my car understeers like a dog. Touch the brakes with the left foot or lift a bit to try and rotate the car as you need to setup for another really important turn, turn 11 which leads to a short straight. Still on 3rd and floored on turn 11, down the straight, upshift to 4th and hold your throttle steady to enter turn 12 a clasic apex left hander taken at about 90 mph entry speed. Then down the short straight on full throttle, brake hard downshift to 3rd for the S sequence that follows...Hug the curve on turn 13 to setup for the S's on 3rd gear... The car understeers and on the exit of turn 14 it can oversteer badly as the track falls off, but you need to have a good exit speed ( I do about 90mph) to go down the long straight were I upshift 2 gears and have time to check my gauges...
So that was a tour of a lap at TWS, I hope you will enjoy the video!

Thanks again St.Anger for doing this for me!!!

EDIT by st-anger:

here´s the :arrow: link: ~25Megs
DJF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
yg60m
Regular User

Hum, i maybe misunderstood but when will it be posted ??
Old 09-06-2004, 01:17 PM   #3
TT
Regular User

Dang you turned me on with this intro !!! Like Yann I'm not sure I understood when the video will be posted but who cares I just hope it will be soon
Old 09-06-2004, 01:21 PM   #4
DJF1
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Dang you turned me on with this intro !!! Like Yann I'm not sure I understood when the video will be posted but who cares I just hope it will be soon
LOL... St.Anger will be posting the video soon....
Old 09-06-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by DJF1
Originally Posted by TT
LOL... St.Anger will be posting the video soon....
.... 8) .....posted now - but definitely NO need to thank me, it´s more the other way round, we have to thank YOU - as you know i´m a Porsche freak so i´m always extremely happy for any contribution and when it´s something special like a owners vid from a trackday...man, it can´t be any better, so again thank you and i think i can say that we all hope to get some more material from you and that you´ll keep on visiting JW and especially "PC"
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #6
TT
Regular User

Can't wait to watch it!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2004, 08:52 PM   #7
lakatu
Regular User

I thought you did a good job driving DJF1. Too bad it seemed like the traffic was holding you up :roll: . Based on what you said I guess that wouldn’t have been as much of an issue if you had been able to race in the advanced group. I’m guessing here that they have different track times for each group level. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:45 PM   #8
sameerrao
Regular User

Nice lapping there .. you were very smooth in braking and shifting ....

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:34 AM   #9
yg60m
Regular User

Very nice !!! Thank you mate, the Carrera GT acceeration is impressive as well as your driving skill
Old 09-07-2004, 12:48 AM   #10
ae86_16v
Regular User

Wow. . . nice driving.

The acceleration on that CGT was amazing!!!

Thanks.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 03:54 AM   #11
5vz-fe
Regular User

Acceleration is amazing, but what's more interesting is that the CGT owner never want to let DJF1 have a pass even tho he is obviously slower (or should i say pampering the car) but of course, DJF1, u are in the wrong group, can't blame them. Thanx for the video and very interesting comentary =)
Old 09-07-2004, 08:51 AM   #12
DJF1
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Acceleration is amazing, but what's more interesting is that the CGT owner never want to let DJF1 have a pass even tho he is obviously slower (or should i say pampering the car) but of course, DJF1, u are in the wrong group, can't blame them. Thanx for the video and very interesting comentary =)
Thank you guys for the kind comments! St.Anger, now that I know how to do it, I will prepare more interesting videos

Lakatu, you are right. There are different run times for different run groups. To be honest I did not mind much the hold up, as a matter of fact it is a pretty good training as in an event like that you cannot pass unless the leading car gives you a passing signal. At the same time you have to be polite and not rub any fenders so to speak, so judging your approach speed and when you can make the pass in "traffic" is a very good training.

5vz-fe, I think that the CGT owners was more surprised than anything else, that I was able to stay on his bumper so to speak... Driving a CGT I guess gives you that state of mind, that it would not really be possible for an "older" 993 Carrera to stay with you or be faster than you... After he finally gave me a pass he tried to stay with me, he did on the straight obviously but after turn 1 I was a goner... The acceleration of the CGT was a humbling experience, not even Cup cars dont leave me that much in the dust!!! I was awe struck when he floored it... Reportedly his top speed before turn 1 was 175mph!!!!!
Equally impressive I must say though was the GT3 as well. Boy when he floored it he was a goner too... Watching the video puts evil thoughts on my mind of trading up
Old 09-07-2004, 12:11 PM   #13
stradale
Regular User

Great driving! I really liked the video. The comments in it were amusing as well. Were you the fastest out there that day? I saw you pass a lot of cars, but no one passed you.

The acceleration of the CGT is massive, as I presume a 993RS isn't exactly slow either!
Old 09-07-2004, 01:23 PM   #14
955TT
Regular User

Wow, that made my heart race! Great driving, and lots of fun to watch all those performance cars on the track. Thank you for sharing!

My Whips;
http://www.pbuzz.com/showalbum.php?aid=2355&uuid=2213
955TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #15
Stikz
Regular User

GREAT vid! thanks for sharing it man.
Stikz is offline   Reply With Quote