Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Vector W8
subzero 40 21.05%
cool 63 33.16%
uncool 35 18.42%
seriously uncool 52 27.37%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 AM   #61
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip
From the 2006 Sports Car Market Pocket Price Guide

Vector W8 85-92, 18 made, low price $100,000 high price $130,000, Grade D Rating ** out of ***** recent price change -12%

as a comparison

Lamborghini LP5000QV 85-88 610 made, low price $65,000 high price $90,000, Grade B Rating **** recent price change 7%

** Appreciation rating -somewhat overpriced, out of favor
D Investment Grade -failed to be successful in the collector car market place for example NSX

These are old guys and they tend to like older cars, but their price guides are fairly accurate.

Two W8's sold at a DEA auction recently that may have lowered the numbers for the car. One if I remember correctly only sold for $70,000, did I read about it here.

If I see one sell, I'll post it here.

With only 18 made a pretty rare bird, would make a really good risk to buy at such a low price.
There is one being offered relatively low.... but only because of the stigma in Japan associated with teh W8 being associated with the mob... and the current "owner" being associated with being a crook himself (and the means of him buying the car) Also, that is the ONLY one that "sold" at such a low number.... this is the other white Vector... it is worth about 800-1M in its current condition... and is a steal if you can get the car...

The one that sold into florida recently wen for WAYYYY more. SCM have the vector WAYYYYYY off... none sold at any DEA auction in 2005... there were some oddities in the early 2000's... but none were a good condition car.

Not one high quality vector has gone to auction in a VERY long time.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:29 AM   #62
silentm
Regular User

i voted cool because it looks like a friggin' spaceship and i half expect aliens to step out of it evertime i see photos
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #63
spanky
Regular User

Never liked it....So uncool for me but each to their own...
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #64
Mattk
Regular User

It looked awkward the first time I saw a picture of it, and it has never really grown on me.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #65
philip
Regular User

With only 18 on Earth, you may not get a chance to own a "nice" one, you may have to take what you can get and "restore" it.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #66
nthfinity
Regular User

With only 18 on Earth, you may not get a chance to own a "nice" one, you may have to take what you can get and "restore" it.
17 production cars
2 pre production cars
2 avtech concept/prototypes
1 W2 prototype

And... only one is left that is in poor form... and that is exactly what I intend to do when the owner agrees to release it to me

at one time, there were a total of 4 cars that were in poor condition, and 3 of them were "regularly" changing hands when they realized what they were up against in terms of restoration.

one traded hands for 1.2 Million last year, the other for a very high undisclosed amount after being restored, and the final one remains in the original owners hands after it being "stolen" and is 100% restored with exception to one $20k piece... which may have been resolved now.

the final one is i working order.. but far from being as original... the owner likes it, and likes doing things his own way w/out the knowledge of the original builders of the car to bring it back to the way it should be.

the one in Japan is a steal if somebody can buy it.

again... SCM is way off base here.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #67
_HighVoltage_
Regular User

nthfinity, I'm sorry is your family name by any chance Wiegert?
One thing I don't understand is, how come there are no Vector replicas? There are thousands of Pontiac Fiero's turned into Countaches and Tesstarossas but no W8...
Still, if I had a million dollars to spare, I would buy a 5000QV and a Diablo VT, get them to a Lambo dealership and pay whatever amount it is to replace the original electrics with new Murcielago ones Is it that hard to make a supercar-daily-driver?
_HighVoltage_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #68
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by _HighVoltage_
nthfinity, I'm sorry is your family name by any chance Wiegert?
One thing I don't understand is, how come there are no Vector replicas? There are thousands of Pontiac Fiero's turned into Countaches and Tesstarossas but no W8...
Still, if I had a million dollars to spare, I would buy a 5000QV and a Diablo VT, get them to a Lambo dealership and pay whatever amount it is to replace the original electrics with new Murcielago ones Is it that hard to make a supercar-daily-driver?
Some people are passionate about knowing the VIN's of every super ferrari...

Thats fine if you want a 5000QV... i'm a fan of the LP400 myself... and a 99 Diablo wouldn't be bad...

The vector is unreplicable. interor, and exterior, and chassis... even using cheap materials rather then Carbon Kevlar.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #69
PorscheRS
Regular User

Not cool, where the Countach still is a good looking car, this car, especially the back looks very bad. And the production numbers say enough.
PorscheRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #70
philip
Regular User

I was at the Monterey Historics this weekend. Saturday night in Carmel (near Monterey, Clint Eastwood was mayor), there were two W8's parked on Ocean Drive near the center of town. Across the street were parked at least 5 new Ferraris and a Carrera GT. The W8's pretty well held there own as far a gawkers were concerned.

I had never seen them in real life and they are very good looking cars. Extremely low to the ground.

With seeing two at once that must be at least 10% of the running cars in the world.

One was a convertable.

I'll post photos in the what I saw section tonight.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #71
nthfinity
Regular User

I was at the Monterey Historics this weekend. Saturday night in Carmel (near Monterey, Clint Eastwood was mayor), there were two W8's parked on Ocean Drive near the center of town. Across the street were parked at least 5 new Ferraris and a Carrera GT. The W8's pretty well held there own as far a gawkers were concerned.

I had never seen them in real life and they are very good looking cars. Extremely low to the ground.

With seeing two at once that must be at least 10% of the running cars in the world.

One was a convertable.

I'll post photos in the what I saw section tonight.
those were the two AWX-3 and AWX-3R prototypes. Neither was a W8, but it is based on the same chassis. Today, there isn't one known car that does not run. The car in the Saudi royal family hasn't been seen in 15 years however... chances are it is still in the Palace on showcase.

While the style of those cars is more resolved in the rear, they are not of production build quality.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #72
formulastig
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip View Post
Its the same way people look at a stripper with big boobs and a thong. Sure they are going to turn heads but in the end, no one really wants them for long.

Weigart was full of too much BS for too long and his products never lived up to his mouth. A supercar with a clunky GM 3 speed automatic, really freaking exotic.
formulastig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #73
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by formulastig View Post
Its the same way people look at a stripper with big boobs and a thong. Sure they are going to turn heads but in the end, no one really wants them for long.

Weigart was full of too much BS for too long and his products never lived up to his mouth. A supercar with a clunky GM 3 speed automatic, really freaking exotic.
Only the housing was was a GM part, the internals of the rachet shift automatic are quite exotic materials, including the helical gear... the housing had to be re machined in order to meet Vector specifications.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #74
styla21
Regular User

Biggest ego-trippin' bunch of rookies I have ever met. The car is all show, no engineering; it's all about huge HP to create marketing hype, and support a public listing so they can bank a big cheque.
Oh, and while you're at it check out some of their hybrid jet-skis that they also want you to invest in.
*Runs.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #75
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
Biggest ego-trippin' bunch of rookies I have ever met. The car is all show, no engineering; it's all about huge HP to create marketing hype, and support a public listing so they can bank a big cheque.
Oh, and while you're at it check out some of their hybrid jet-skis that they also want you to invest in.
*Runs.
"rookies.... koenigsegg still don't have a quality product over a decade on, and have delivered less then 10 per year since production actually started.

Vector created a car that would last the life of the owner, if that isn't over-engineering, I dont know what is.

You met any of the engineers on the project? I have, and regularly converse with one of them.

HP wasn't the marketing "hype" the top speed was.... Vector lowered it to officially "625 guarenteed hp, and 200+ mph" while most cars have well over 650, and each car will do 242 mph given enough space.

In the video I made, that was a 5 mph-150 mph in a scant 12 seconds.... An Enzo would be near there 10 years later.

Jet Bike was sold off in the 70's, then bought back for who knows what reason. I won't defend Jerry's goofy salesman status. But the car is one of marvels of automotive engineering the world has ever seen.