Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 12-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Exclamation It's official. Latvala replaces Hirvonen who replaces Grönholm

By which I mean that Latvala's joining Hirvonen in the BP Ford WRC Team. Which is a very good news. Although not as good as it would've been if Grönholm decided to stay...

Latvala takes Gronholm's place at Ford
Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:41am GMT

LONDON (Reuters) - Finland's Jari-Matti Latvala will replace retired compatriot Marcus Gronholm at Ford's main team next season, the world rally champions announced on Sunday.

Latvala, 22, moves up to a full works drive after competing in a privately-entered Stobart Ford this year. He will partner Mikko Hirvonen in 2008, with Ford keeping an all-Finnish line-up.

Hirvonen will become the team's lead driver.

"He (Latvala) has gained confidence by the day and has developed into the most promising driver in the WRC this season," said Ford team boss Malcolm Wilson in a statement.

"His performances on the second half of the season put him in pole position for the drive.

"Marcus and Mikko have worked wonderfully together and I hope that Mikko will pass on to Jari-Matti the experience he has learned," he added.
Latvala finished third in last month's Rally Ireland and eighth overall in the championship.

Gronholm, a double world champion, retired after finishing runner-up to Citroen's French champion Sebastien Loeb.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Peter Rutherford)
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
pilotvtm
Regular User

Great news!!!!
But what happens with duval, gardemeister or gali???
pilotvtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
redbaron
Regular User

Latvala did a great job in the last couple of rallies and I.M.O. he proved that he is ready to win.

Originally Posted by pilotvtm View Post
But what happens with duval, gardemeister or gali???
Gardemeister has been announced as one of the drivers of the Suzuki WRC team. His team mate will be Per-Gunnar Andersson.

A couple of months ago there were rumours of Galli being linked to a manufacturer 2 team of Subaru. I believe the bad pace of the Subaru S12 WRC (2006 car) and the S12b WRC (2007 car) cancelled these plans. I hope we will see Galli back in a privately entered car next year.

Duval really impressed me in the asphalt rallies with the Kronos Citroen. I heard some rumours of Duval entering the IRC (international rally challenge) next year. There are also rumours about a Manufacturer 2 team with C4 WRCs and Duval and Galli are linked to this team.

I really would like to know what will happen with the Stobart team. Will it still be a 3 car team like this year, which means there is still one car left for someone like Galli. The team can also slim down to a 2 car team with Henning Solberg and Matthew Wilson.

There are also rumours about a Manufacturer 2 team with C4 WRCs and Duval and Galli are linked to this team. Another rumour is that Gronholm will enter a couple of rallies in the third BP Focus WRC.

Let’s wait and see which teams and which drivers will start at the Monte Carlo rally next year (only one month to wait)
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
pilotvtm
Regular User

Great news....announces.....LOL
let's wait until the season starts like redbaron said

go Loeb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
pilotvtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
redbaron
Regular User

Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
I really would like to know what will happen with the Stobart team. Will it still be a 3 car team like this year, which means there is still one car left for someone like Galli.
quite a good prediction

www.autosport.com :

Galli joins Stobart Ford for '08

By Glenn FreemanFriday, December 21st 2007, 12:12 GMT

Gigi Galli will replace Jari-Matti Latvala at the Stobart Ford team in next year's WRC, the team have announced.
The Italian made a handful of appearances in the 2007 championship, but he will complete a full season next year.
Galli will be nominated for manufacturer points at every event, while the team will decide through the year which of his two teammates - Henning Solberg and Matthew Wilson - is also nominated.
"Jari-Matti's promotion to the BP Ford team has left an opportunity for someone to join this squad and we are happy to announce that it will be Gigi," said team boss Malcolm Wilson.
"Gigi has a wealth of experience and I'm sure he will be a great asset for the team."
The team's three regular drivers will be joined by Francois Duval for the season-opening Monte Carlo rally.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote