Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
blue8
Regular User

Default Ferrari World Championship Celebration

Michael Schumacher drove the Ferrari F2007 for the first time on Wednesday.

The seven-time world champion, who retired from Formula One a year ago, has not driven the 2007 Ferrari challenger before, and has only once driven an F1 car this year - when he sat behind the wheel of an F2004 at Ferrari's 60th anniversary celebrations in June.

But with the season now over, the German took the car for a demonstration run at Ferrari's home track in Fiorano, Italy.

Autosport.com understands the German ran no more than four-five laps, and no lap times were recorded.

A Ferrari spokesman said the demonstration was run for the Fiat board of directors, who yesterday held their meeting in Maranello, celebrating Ferrari and Kimi Raikkonen's world championship titles.
Not much details yet though about the event...

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
RAMMIUS
Regular User

Old 10-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
harryo2b
Regular User

Hey on the thumbnail on the far left. the two guys in the right of the pic in dark blue shirts...those aren't Ferrari guys, aren't those Toro Rosso sneaking in on the pic?!

2006 Porsche Boxster S/Atlas Grey Metallic/Black/Black/6 spd
Canon 30D/17-85 IS/70-200 4L IS/580EXII/430EX/B+W Filters
harryo2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
dannyroz
Regular User

LOL well they do run Ferrari engines

They look lost
Old 10-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
gis
Regular User

Does anyone have a high res pic of Kimi celebrating in the car on the cool down lap?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
Bizi Jones
Regular User

^^
here u go
Bizi Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
TT
Regular User

The celebration at Mugello this week-end will be amazing! remember my pics from 2006 on Monza racetrack

http://www.swisscarsightings.com/fin...rrari2006.html

this year I had an invite, with free pit lane access and all and sadly I can't go
Old 10-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
TT
Regular User

I'm still considering it, but it's a 350 km drive, that makes almost 800 km in a day and means being away from like 5 am to 9 pm, which I really can't
Old 10-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
blue8
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
The celebration at Mugello this week-end will be amazing! remember my pics from 2006 on Monza racetrack

http://www.swisscarsightings.com/fin...rrari2006.html

this year I had an invite, with free pit lane access and all and sadly I can't go
:shock:
I'm sure it will all be worth it Too bad you can't make it though...

Old 10-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #10
blue8
Regular User

Higher-res:

Old 10-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #11
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

Originally Posted by blue8
Higher-res:
In all honesty, I have never seen such a big smile on Kimi's face before! It seems his happiness is genuine

Thanks for the HUGE pics
Old 10-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
blue8
Regular User

FXX Evoluzione was also introduced during the weekend:

More pics:
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/b...=999&sort=1&d=

Old 10-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
bmagni
Regular User

about the FXX:

FXX programme extended for further two years thanks to new evolution kit developed with assistance of Client Test-Drivers

Maranello 28th October 2007 - The innovative FXX programme, based on the eponymous prototype car and launched by Ferrari in June 2005, is being extended to 2008/2009. The FXX, which is the most advanced GT ever created at Maranello, has been updated with an evolution package aimed at further improving its handling and performance. The package was developed as a result of Ferrari's collaboration with its Client Test Drivers and with the invaluable support of Michael Schumacher. The FXXs equipped with this package will also sport a new livery in addition to new rear wing profiles.

The FXX is not homologated for road use and there are no plans to compete with it either. In fact, the FXX prototype is designed exclusively for track driving as part of a specific R&D programme agreed with a selected group of just over 20 clients involving 14 group test sessions and 14 private ones in the last two years. Thanks to readings taken over the 16,500 kilometres of tests carried out in 2006 and the 18,500 kilometres covered in 2007, the modifications made to the car have focused on honing its aerodynamics, running gear and electronics. Seven-times Formula 1 World Champion Michael Schumacher also joined the ranks of the client test drivers and gave the programme the benefit of his vast experience on several occasions.

Maranello's engineers studied the wealth of information gained to develop a kit which will cut the FXX's Fiorano lap time to under 1'16'' (previously it was 1'18''). The FXX's 6262 cc V12 engine can now punch out a massive 860 hp at 9500 rpm. Gearshifting takes just 60 ms, a drop of 20 ms on the previous time, and the gear ratios have been adapted to make use of the extra 1000 rpm now delivered by the engine.

The car's new traction control system, developed in close collaboration with the GES Racing Division engineers, gives the driver a choice of no less than nine different settings (plus the off position) which are selected using a switch on the central tunnel. This means that the driver really can modify the car's behaviour on the track from corner to corner, just as the Formula 1 drivers do to maximise performance and reduce tyre wear. The FXX's traction control is also now less invasive and more flexible, adapting more efficiently to the individual driving style of each driver - a requirement pinpointed when this very extreme car was being driven on the track by non-professional drivers.

The FXX's special 19" Bridgestone tyres now last longer too thanks to a new car setup and new front suspension geometry, while the Brembo brakes, which boast large Composite Ceramic Material (CCM) discs, are more efficient with the result that the brake pads last twice as long. Thanks to the drivers' feedback the Ferrari engineers have also developed new aerodynamic solutions aimed at increasing downforce over the rear axle. The FXX now sports a new rear diffuser, nolder and rear flaps which have combined to increase aerodynamic efficiency by 25% overall. The active front spoiler control system settings have been adjusted to take these modifications into account too. New telemetry monitoring of the steering angle and brake pump pressure will further boost the interaction between Client test drivers and the company's engineers also. From next year onwards, it will be possible for drivers to have two extra video cameras mounted on their car in addition the existing rear-facing one. This will, of course, give the drivers excellent rear visibility without having to impinge in any way on the car's aerodynamics.

The FXX evolution package includes participation in a series of track events that Ferrari is organising at international circuits for 2008/2009. Six events are planned for each year (two in North America, two in Europe and two in Asia). In addition to these, the FXXs will also be participating, as per tradition, in the prestigious end-of-season Ferrari World Finals.

As happened in 2006/2007, the cars will be backed up at each event by a 15-member official team made up of engineers, electronics experts and mechanics capable of providing complete assistance to clients. Needless to say, the latter will still be able to organise their own private individual track sessions in their car as well.
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #14
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

Awesome pics blue8! Maybe higher res anwhere?

And re: FXX Evo.... :shock: :faint:

860 HP @ 9500 RPM!!???! HOLY SHIT! I seriously hope the new hyper-Ferrari has a redline that high

BTW, does this mean that existing owners get a completely new car, or do they just upgrade the current package?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #15
blue8
Regular User

Kimi Raikkonen says he has 'fallen in love again' with Formula One after winning the world championship last week in Brazil, as he begins a lengthy holiday before resuming testing in December.

The Finn appeared in Mugello on Sunday and took his championship winning F2007 car for a demonstration run in front of 30,000 adoring fans.

"It seems I can't stop smiling," he told Ferrari's official website. "Wherever I go there are people who congratulate me. It seems that everybody in Italy is as happy as I am!

"Wednesday in Maranello was wonderful, when we celebrated the wins of the two championships with everybody from the Scuderia. But I have to say that yesterday in Mugello was even better - in front of thousands of fans and numerous Ferrari clients.

"When I was going to the race track in Tuscany, I remembered the first time I drove a race car, back when I was driving in the Formula Renault, and then my first race in Formula One with Peter Sauber.

"I remember these feelings, but it is really something else driving the car, with which I just won the championship, here at Mugello: it was like a second triumph.

"I was really happy and very proud being part of the Ferrari family when I saw all the fans celebrating. Thank you all so much, with all my heart!"

Raikkonen, who will not join Ferrari at Barcelona when testing begins in mid-November, said he looks forward to getting some much needed relaxation - although he admitted he will find it hard putting Formula One aside.

"Now I'm on holiday," said the 28-year-old, who went to Helsinki on Sunday night to celebrate his title with wife Jenni and close friends. "I'll try to chill out as much as I can and charge up my batteries.

"I drove almost every week during the last season and now is the time to think of something else than four wheels.

"I'll try to forget Formula One a bit, but that will be difficult. This year was really special to me. I can say that I fell in love again with this sport.

"I won't go to the tests in November in Barcelona, but I might be back on the track in December. It will be great to start my second year with Ferrari now that I won the title.

"It will be a new challenge, even more exciting, because I want to feel this joy again, one more time!"
Numerous national and international journalists where present at the press conference of the Scuderia Ferrari at the weekend in Mugello.

Jean Todt started the meeting with the press, saying: "I wouldn't have placed a bet to be here today with the success of the driver's championship with Kimi Raikkonen in his first season as a driver for the Scuderia Ferrari.

"This means that this is a demonstration that our mentality, never to never give up and to believe for as long as you can believe. The last race was incredible: We knew that we had to finish first and second and Kimi had to finish before Felipe in order to keep Alonso back and Hamilton had to be in the best hypothesis sixth. And this is what happened. All these factors had to come together and this is what happened in the end; our capacity to reach an extraordinary double-win."

"We lost the 2006 championships at the last race because of problems with reliability. This year we had more or less the same problems, but we dedicated some thought to that and we analyzed everything. We changed the organization of the racing division after men like Ross Brawn and Paolo Martinelli went to look for a different philosophy of life."

"This year 2007 was a transition, so it is even nicer that we can celebrate both championship wins. We suffered and there were many unhappy moments."

But Ferrari CEO Todt remembered the six victories recorded by Raikkonen and the three by Massa, with his six pole positions over the last season. Obviously Todt also spoke about the spy affair, which was a surprise for everybody.

"I wouldn't have expected this betrayal from one of ours," Todt said.
"Who for personal reasons wanted to help another team and I didn't expect them (McLaren) to accept his help. But that is what happened. We cried and they cried worse."

"The final result of the driver's championship is not really a final one, because there is an appeal, which will be judged on the 15th November in Paris. But what's important for us that is the result on the track," Todt said. "The truth lies in the middle between the two."

When asked if it was one person or a whole team having committed the sin.

"It's a group of people who have accepted to receive information from someone. But you have the same level of info as we had, too. Ferrari never thought about any other measures than on the race track. Just like Enzo Ferrari did 20 years ago, when he built a car for the IndyCar racing series," Todt said. "Those were different times. Still in the 90s in Formula One Ferrari was the only team building chassis and engine, all the other teams built chassis and used the same engine, the Cosworth, and there was no legal agreement between the teams in the championship either. We do have many other programs for your clients. Yesterday we celebrated with them the win in the FIA GT championships with the 430 and the victory in the ALMS."

As far as the main factor is concerned, that brought the team to win the title in this difficult season, Todt said: "This year was especially difficult. But the result is the result of the team working together. Its teamwork and we had a good team. And in the end, even with problems concerning the reliability, we made it. The best driver without a good car can't do anything. Its teamwork and we had a good team."

Answering the question if he had already digested the bitterness, Massa said: "I am not someone who looks back at what has happened. I look ahead. I look at the future. It's important to look forward. We have the whole winter to produce a good car, to have the most competitive car possible." Todt added that "Felipe is happy with Ferrari and Ferrari is happy with Felipe. And his contract has been extended until 2010."

As far as the next season is concerned Raikkonen said: "Next year should be easier not just for me but also for the team. This year we had some difficulties to get the car right, as I wanted. We'll see what we do for the new car. It's very hard to say at this point how good the car will be. But we have great expectations. We'll see what happens next year. But we have a good feeling."

About the new regulations, that from next year on traction control will be banned from the cars, Raikkonen added: "When I came to Formula One we didn't have traction control. There are so many things coming up. I think it'll be good fun and more challenging, too. And taking the traction control away will give us more opportunities to overtake."

But Massa said that he had never worked under these conditions. "It's difficult to say. Like as Kimi said. It's too soon. We haven't yet driven cars without traction control. It's just a habit. We'll see if we need to change our driving style or we need to change the car."

At that point Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo showed up and said: "I really have to congratulate Kimi. We have the best drivers in the world," expressing his admiration also for the other drivers fighting in the championship. But "this victory shows the level of our drivers."

After wishing Bernie Ecclestone a happy birthday, who, Montezemolo said, has a great passion for Ferrari he spoke about Max Mosley and the team spirit and creativity of the group, the basis of a great company, which he is proud to represent for 'many more years.'

"As always with Todt we will announce the structure of Ferrari at the end of the year. But the strength of the company is the stability of its men, the growth of our people, our technicians, our engineers, the whole team, inside the sports management and the company itself. The revolution, I hear you talking about very often, we'll leave to your imagination."