Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 01-20-2005, 02:34 AM   #31
nthfinity
Regular User

Somebody correct me if I m wrong but I interrupted the chart of the track with lap times to be a comparison of a standard GT3 and not the RS to a CSL
edit: wrong picture
basically, i saw the words "porsche" in red, and "bmw" in green at the bottom, and asumed it was a gt3 vs. a csl based on st-anger saying

…down there u can see a comparison of a Porsche GT3 and a ///M CSL – will post some more stuff and lap times later…
definately looking forward to this

The RGT doesn’t seem to be a true RS conversion though
out of ceriousity, what is missing? the RGT is a widebody... but perhaps no rollcage?, it has adjustable suspension rather then not? i guess im just not familiar with the specifics... in any case, it appears to be as close a ringer to the RS as i have found for the US
Old 01-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #32
lakatu
Regular User

What I meant nthfinity, was that it doesn’t look like a GT3 RS and I don’t think that the lightweight panels Ruf uses aren’t carbon fiber but are aluminum. It also has a widened body whereas the RS has the regular 996 narrow body. But you are right it is the closest thing available that I have seen also. I just wished that Porsche would import the genuine article to their most important and lucrative market :roll: .

On the chart of Oschersleben I also came to the same conclusion but since st-anger said GT3 and not GT3 RS and the fact that the Porsche was slower than the CSL I came to the conclusion that the comparison was between a regular and non RS GT3 and a CSL.

I could be wrong and maybe I just misunderstood what you were saying in your post. I thought that you were surprised that the GT3 RS was slower than the CSL and I was just pointing out that I thought that the lap times were not for the GT3 RS.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #33
nthfinity
Regular User

thankyou lakatu for clearing that up that cirtainly does make a lot more sence to the lap times posted, and cornering speeds
Old 01-20-2005, 04:47 PM   #34
leo_26782
Regular User

Thanks a lot st-anger for all the time spend for those articles. I really appreciate, as everyone, and i'm looking forward to have access to the download section... (i hope)
leo_26782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:29 AM   #35
TT
Regular User

Finally watched the RS video.. as always, pur eaction, pure enjoyment!! Thanks st-anger!!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:18 PM   #36
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by lakatu
Thanks nthfinity for the info concerning Ruf. They always seem to help out the U.S. customer when Porsche occasionally forgets about us. I’m especially referring to the 930. The RGT doesn’t seem to be a true RS conversion though .

The GT3 RS runs on Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires which while have an aggressive tread i.e. fewer groves to expel water, they aren’t considered semi-racing slicks like the tires on the CSL which are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup. I believe that the RS would be significantly faster with semi slicks.

Somebody correct me if I m wrong but I interrupted the chart of the track with lap times to be a comparison of a standard GT3 and not the RS to a CSL. I think that the RS would be faster than the CSL on a tight track like Oschersleben. If you compare the SA results of the CSL to the RS on HHR which is definitely a tight track the RS came in at 1.11,8 vs 1.13,5 for the CSL. The RS was 2-3 km/hr faster in the turns than the CSL. The track temperature was 34 degrees Celsius for the CSL and 17 degrees for the GT3 RS. 34 degrees is pretty hot, so I don’t know how this affected the CSL’s time. I do know that SA mentioned that the 997 would have been faster around HHR if the temperature wasn’t so hot and the temperature for the 997 test was 30 degrees Celsius.

Dingo22 I don’t mean to speak for st-anger here but I know that like most people he prefers the red color scheme on the GT3 RS.
..well said lakatu - the times shown are the std. GT3 times, RS would be quite some seconds faster there...

...and yes, you´re right the red scheme is my fav one...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:10 PM   #37
cooperluke
Regular User

I also want to see the RS video....

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 11:33 AM   #38
st-anger
Regular User

vid from 13022005: :arrow: link

Motorvision Carlsson SL55 RS vs SL55
Porsche 911
Old 02-14-2005, 05:26 AM   #39
dingo
Regular User

I believe I have seen this before and was just looking for it this past weekend but couldn't....so this is perfect timing
Thanks alot st-anger

EDIT: It was the one I've seen before, its kind of scary that a couple of days ago I thought about this exact vid and here it is :shock: BTW, its a great vid....lots of awesome driving, especially by the Carlsson car
Old 03-05-2005, 03:51 PM   #40
st-anger
Regular User

vid from 05032005: :arrow: link

AM Vanquish MV test

...another Motorvision test, this time driver´s Mattias Lauda, 23 years old F3000 racer and son of famous Austrian F1 driver Niki Lauda...

in short here´s what Lauda jun. said about the Vanquish:

...even on the first few meters one has to realize that it´s quite a heavy car but nevertheless it´s still fun to drive with a good design, very wide, that´s what he likes best.

the cockpit is quite ok, steering wheel´s a bit too thick, switching into reverse gear´s quite annoying because of the buttons on the dashboard.
the leather working up is not that good, especially the seats, some buttons are from Ford, so not that good for the overall quality impression...

on the track the engine has too less torque at low rpms, gearbox is quite good with added double-clutch when downshifting, so very smooth, upshifting could be better, but well, it´s no pure sports car so it´s ok...
nevertheless the gearing is too long for the track.

the steering is too soft with too less feedback when cornering so again not very sports car like, resulting in a sluggish and soft handling behaviour.

under wet conditions the weight is even more a problem, the car feels heavy especially when breaking...

but all in all he really liked the car but it´s definitely not the very best choice for the track...
Porsche 911
Old 03-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #41
mv
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger
AM Vanquish MV test
What a pitty it's not a proper MV test done by MV. I think I've seen it but will download it anyway.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:46 AM   #42
dingo
Regular User

Thanks mate.....what a nice sound the Vanquish makes, so brutal. I would still take a DB9 over it due to the better looks

Originally Posted by mv
AM Vanquish MV test
What a pitty it's not a proper MV test done by MV. I think I've seen it but will download it anyway.
I'd say this is better then the 'proper' tests
Old 03-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #43
ikon2003
Regular User

Sweet vid - and great idea putting all of the PC vids in one section, and then having discussions. Look forward to seeing the rest.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #44
mv
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo22
Thanks mate.....what a nice sound the Vanquish makes, so brutal. I would still take a DB9 over it due to the better looks

Originally Posted by mv
AM Vanquish MV test
I'd say this is better then the 'proper' tests
Nah, Lauda sucks and would be left behind in dust

As to the Vanquish vs. DB9 comparison you have to take into consideration that the DB9 is a few years younger which makes a huge difference nowadays as both design and performance evolve incredibly quickly. As a result even some of two-years old cars can be found quite out-of-date.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #45
TT
Regular User

Oh, I finally watched the Vanquish review by Lauda junior, and it was again a nice one! Plenty of V12 music and never covered by useless music

The review is a very good one, sadly I can't really understand everything, but enough to say it is a good and indepth impression he gives to us.

Always nice to see a superb car in action on track, this vid is a must, thanks st-anger!!