Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 05-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
Toronto
Regular User

Default *** 2006 Grand Prix of Spain ***

Friday 12
May
11:00-12:00 Friday Practice 1
14:00-15:00 Friday Practice 2

Saturday 13
May
11:00-12:00 Saturday Practice
14:00 Qualifying

Sunday 14
May
14:00 Race

Race
Pos No Driver Team Laps Time/Retired Grid Points
1 1 Fernando Alonso Renault 66 1:26:21.759 1 10
2 5 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 66 +18.5 secs 3 8
3 2 Giancarlo Fisichella Renault 66 +23.9 secs 2 6
4 6 Felipe Massa Ferrari 66 +29.8 secs 4 5
5 3 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 66 +56.8 secs 9 4
6 12 Jenson Button Honda 66 +58.3 secs 8 3
7 11 Rubens Barrichello Honda 65 +1 Lap 5 2
8 16 Nick Heidfeld Sauber-BMW 65 +1 Lap 10 1
9 9 Mark Webber Williams-Cosworth 65 +1 Lap 11
10 8 Jarno Trulli Toyota 65 +1 Lap 7
11 10 Nico Rosberg Williams-Cosworth 65 +1 Lap 13
12 17 Jacques Villeneuve Sauber-BMW 65 +1 Lap 22
13 15 Christian Klien RBR-Ferrari 65 +1 Lap 14
14 14 David Coulthard RBR-Ferrari 65 +1 Lap 21
15 20 Vitantonio Liuzzi STR-Cosworth 63 Hydraulics 15
16 18 Tiago Monteiro MF1-Toyota 63 +3 Laps 17
17 22 Takuma Sato Super Aguri-Honda 62 +4 Laps 19
Ret 19 Christijan Albers MF1-Toyota 48 Spin 18
Ret 21 Scott Speed STR-Cosworth 47 Engine 16
Ret 7 Ralf Schumacher Toyota 31 Electronics 6
Ret 4 Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes 17 Spin 12
Ret 23 Franck Montagny Super Aguri-Honda 10 Drive shaft 20
Fastest Lap: Felipe Massa 1:16.648

Qual
Pos No Driver Team First Second Third
1 1 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:15.816 1:15.124 1:14.648
2 2 Giancarlo Fisichella Renault 1:16.046 1:14.766 1:14.709
3 5 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:16.049 1:14.637 1:14.970
4 6 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:16.359 1:15.245 1:15.442
5 11 Rubens Barrichello Honda 1:16.266 1:15.258 1:15.885
6 7 Ralf Schumacher Toyota 1:16.234 1:15.164 1:15.885
7 8 Jarno Trulli Toyota 1:16.174 1:15.068 1:15.976
8 12 Jenson Button Honda 1:16.054 1:15.150 1:16.008
9 3 Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes 1:16.613 1:15.422 1:16.015
10 16 Nick Heidfeld Sauber-BMW 1:16.322 1:15.468 1:17.144
11 9 Mark Webber Williams-Cosworth 1:16.685 1:15.502
12 4 Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes 1:16.195 1:15.801
13 10 Nico Rosberg Williams-Cosworth 1:17.213 1:15.804
14 17 Jacques Villeneuve Sauber-BMW 1:16.066 1:15.847
15 15 Christian Klien RBR-Ferrari 1:16.627 1:15.928
16 20 Vitantonio Liuzzi STR-Cosworth 1:17.105 1:16.661
17 21 Scott Speed STR-Cosworth 1:17.361
18 18 Tiago Monteiro MF1-Toyota 1:17.702
19 19 Christijan Albers MF1-Toyota 1:18.024
20 22 Takuma Sato Super Aguri-Honda 1:18.920
21 23 Franck Montagny Super Aguri-Honda 1:20.763
22 14 David Coulthard RBR-Ferrari No time

The Formula One teams are no strangers to Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya; not only have they raced there every year since 1991, they also conduct extensive testing at the venue.

Familiarity does not, however, lessen the challenge for car or driver. Barcelona's mix of high and low-speed corners, plus its abrasive and rather bumpy track surface, makes for a physically and mechanically taxing race. Tyre wear is particularly high and the varying winds that cut across the circuit mean an optimum set-up can be hard to find.

For spectators Elf corner is among the best places to watch, as it is one of the track's few overtaking opportunities. For the drivers it is the final two turns, known collectively as New Holland, which provide one of the biggest challenges of the season. A fast exit is essential in order to maximise speed down the start-finish straight into Elf.

2003 marked the 13th time Barcelona has hosted the Spanish Grand Prix. Michael Schumacher has been the most successful driver at the circuit, with a total of five victories, while Jacques Villeneuve is the only other current driver to have won there, back in 1997.
The Circuit de Catalunya is located only 30km from Barcelona. It is easily accessible on major routes, either the N152 or the A7 motorway (exit 13) towards Gerona.

Alternatively, it is served by rail from Sants station (Line 2) to Montmelo Station with journey time lasting about 40 minutes, or from Gerona in around one hour. The circuit is a short walk from the station.

If you're flying, then the nearest international airport is El Prat de Llobragat in Barcelona, which is 47km from the circuit. There are regular connections to Barcelona from the airport via bus and train.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
SFDMALEX
Regular User

And Micheal takes the cake
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:01 AM   #3
bultaco_metralla
Regular User

I hate you Dani!!! You know Madrid will get some day another GP !!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
saadie
Regular User

haha dani you lucky sob!!

im watching the live timings right now
alonso is at 1:16.86
the dude on top is doornbos 1:16.824 in a redbull haha
Old 05-12-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
Ghostbat
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
I'm going to the circuit now 8)

See you!
I envy you man.. Have fun..
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
McLaren4eVa
Regular User

Thats a good teaser, hoping for loads more dani(especially McLaren). thanks you lucky sob. Have fun.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Ferrari one two.

Alonso is going down.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
5vz-fe
Regular User

NOOOOO, Alonso pole

But from the looks of it, Schumi seems to be going for the harder compound. Let's hope Schumi is on a heavier fuel load to avoid direct competition @ the start. (Renualt's famous starting dash seems to always best any other cars on the grid)
Old 05-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #9
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I'm not worried.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
I'm not worried.
I'm alittle but with my finger's crossed. I really want Schumi to make Alonso lose another Spanish GP
Old 05-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/4368/756.html
Fernando Alonso, Renault (1st, 1m 14.648s):
“I don't think even 66 laps tomorrow will be enough for me to enjoy this race, because it is pure pleasure to be driving here in Barcelona this weekend in front of my people. It is fantastic to be on pole because the times have been very close all the way through practice, probably because we test a lot at this circuit, and we expected the qualifying session to be tough. In fact, we were more nervous about Q2 than Q3 before the session started. But like in the Nurburgring, we were not so strong in the second part, and then found something extra in the third session, so I am really happy to take my second consecutive pole. Looking ahead for tomorrow, after the Renaults it is clear that Ferrari and especially Michael are very strong. So far, my worst result in five races has been second position, and if we can keep this consistency then it will be good for the championship. But we will go into the race thinking the victory is possible.”

Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault (2nd, 1m 14.709s):
“It is nice to be P2 after a couple of difficult qualifying sessions for me at the last races. The Renault performance has been very good here all winter in testing, and we expected to be competitive at this circuit. To take the front row is a great result, and we are optimistic that we have a good package not just in qualifying, but for the race. I said at the last races that I could have fought for the podium if my qualifying position had been stronger, and I think I proved that today. There will be a tough battle for us with Ferrari tomorrow afternoon, and between the tyre manufacturers as well. I am looking forward to a great race.”

Michael Schumacher, Ferrari (3rd, 1m 14.970s):
“I am quite happy with third place on the grid, as we knew we might have to lose a bit in qualifying, because we based our decision about tyres more on how they would perform in the race. So, the second row is not a big problem as we know we can expect a strong race pace. Unlike at the Nurburgring, this time, I start from the clean side of the grid. As for race strategy, there are two possibilities and now we will have to make sure we pick the best one.”

Felipe Massa, Ferrari (4th, 1m 15.442s):
“It was a good qualifying. A start from the front two rows is vital and we managed to reach this target. On my final run in Q3, I came up against a bit of traffic in the final sector, but I’m happy with the way things went. I am very confident about the race in that we know we can count on getting very consistent performance from the Bridgestone tyres.”

Rubens Barrichello, Honda (5th, 1m 15.885s):
"Obviously I'm very happy with my qualifying position. I think I extracted the maximum out of the car today. It is quite difficult to beat the other two teams at the moment so we just have to concentrate on what we have now and make the best of every opportunity during the race. I'm quite happy with what we have achieved today and I'm looking forward to tomorrow."

Ralf Schumacher, Toyota (6th, 1m 15,885s):
"We had a good day today but it was a tough afternoon's work out there. We didn't use any new tyres this morning and we had to go to the limit to make it through into Session 3. The car was fine during all three sessions and we had no problems. The track was slightly slippery but nothing exceptional. My final lap was a clean lap but a driver is never completely satisfied, especially when a thousandth of a second is all you need to gain a place. Still, we are confident in our strategy and hopeful for the race, where we will push for a good result."

Jarno Trulli, Toyota (7th, 1m 15.976s):
"We're quite satisfied with today's performance. I had problems with understeer and the car behaviour changed a lot during the sessions. That meant I could not quite pull out the lap I would have liked at the end but we are still near the front. Because everyone knows this track so well, everyone runs at the absolute limit during this race weekend. We looked good in the tests here and we're near the front again today so things are looking positive. Now we will have to see how we can perform in the race. We have worked hard to eliminate the problems with tyre graining that we had yesterday. So we hope that helps us tomorrow and we can put in a good race performance."

Jenson Button, Honda (8th, 1m 16.008s):
"I'm extremely disappointed to qualify in 8th position. The car balance was fine until I asked for a little more front wing. Normally you would expect to get a better front end on the car but I had massive understeer, far more than we would have expected. We'll have to look at the data to see what the problem is and hopefully address it in time for tomorrow."

Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren (9th, 1m 16.015s):
"We are not where we want to be. I was blocked on my first flying lap in the last qualifying session and then the next run was not a great one. We seem to be lacking qualifying pace, but will see what we can do in the race tomorrow to improve our positions as our race pace is better than our qualifying speed."

Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber (10th, 1m 17.144s):
“I am happy to be in the top ten as the lap times are quite close. I think it would have been difficult to beat the other cars in front of us, and even though I lost some time with Ralf in front, honestly I don't think it would have changed anything regarding my position. The set up was fine on one lap, and I hope we can see the same tomorrow over a race distance. The balance of the car changed, and it was quite different for all three outings.”

Mark Webber, Williams (11th, 1m 15.502s):
“We got a bit of idea in testing that maybe it was going to be a little bit difficult for us here, but you only really confirm this on the day, and we found out today that we are just a sniff away from getting into the top ten. This is the first time this year that I didn’t make it into the last ten by a small margin, but unfortunately we are not quick enough over one lap.”

Juan Pablo Montoya, McLaren (12th, 1m 15.801s):
"I'm really disappointed. There was a problem when I came in to get my car refuelled and my tyres lost a lot of heat, and we should have changed to a new set. However these things happen and whilst they are frustrating we must now focus on the race tomorrow and see what we can do."

Nico Rosberg, Williams (13th, 1m 15.804s):
“We still seem to be missing something to get qualifying right and making it into the top ten and this is something we need to work on. Our race pace so far this season has been quite alright though and I think tomorrow we should look quite good, especially with respect to our tyres. Both Mark and I are in good shape to collect some points in the race and we proved at the Nurburgring that we are able to make up positions into the points, even from the back of the field.”

Jacques Villeneuve, BMW Sauber (14th, 1m 15.847s):
“The first run went very easily and the balance was very good, but then the wind picked up and the car's balance changed. We still concentrated for the set-up on what we need for the race with high fuel and all that. We were not at the optimum for qualifying, but I was still expecting better than that.”

Christian Klien, Red Bull (15th, 1m 15.928s):
“I got through the first qualifying part okay. The second part looked good at the beginning, but when I went out on new tyres I lost some time in the first sector. The car was understeering quite a lot and (Jacques) Villeneuve held me up on my last flying lap, but with this new qualifying system it’s so easy to get held up in traffic. My qualifying position is not great, but it’s a long race tomorrow and we’ll play a little bit with our strategy, so hopefully we’ll get some points.”

Vitantonio Liuzzi, Toro Rosso (16th, 1m 16.661s):
“We have to realize this is our position and to do a better time would mean taking a short cut on the track. We suffer a bit from a lack of straight line speed but overall, we did a good qualifying and at least I reached the second part of the session. Because we lacked speed on the straight I had to go to the limit, pushing more on the corners. The car handled really well and I think, if we get through the first lap without an accident, we can have a strong race, especially as Michelin has done a good job and given us a consistent tyre, even though this is one of the toughest circuits for tyres.”

Scott Speed, Toro Rosso (17th, 1m 17.361s):
“Of course I’d prefer to make it into the next part of the session, but this is pretty much where I expected to qualify anyway. I’m not disappointed because we took the definite decision to have the car set up more to have a good race pace for tomorrow rather than for today’s qualifying. I think this will pay off and we should have a strong race pace and I have confidence in our tyre choice.”

Tiago Monteiro, Midland (18th, 1m 17.702s):
To follow.

Christijan Albers, Midland (19th, 1m 18.024s):
To follow.

Takuma Sato, Super Aguri (20th, 1m 18.920s):
“We had a very smooth morning and made good progress during the practice session. Qualifying was also encouraging. The conditions were relatively difficult as I had low grip and encountered traffic before the Red Flag stopped the session. However during the second run I had a clear track and was able to set a similar lap time to the one I set in practice, so I am happy. The gap between our times and the Midlands’ is getting smaller, so things are starting to get exciting for the team.”

Franck Montagny, Super Aguri (21st, 1m 20.763s):
“My day was better day than yesterday for sure. We were able to improve the car’s handling into the quick corners, so now we have a stable car and I am happy about that. We found quite a good set up on used tyres and the car was quite easy to drive with no problems with degradation, but with new tyres we are struggling a bit around the slow corners. The track has changed so much and we still need more data for the car, so it makes things a little difficult. We are getting closer and improving a little all the time and I know that in time the pace will come.”

David Coulthard, Red Bull (22nd, no time):
“There was failure on the car. Turn three is not a difficult corner, even when you’re flat out, and I was on an out lap and not pushing hard at all. Something failed at the rear of the car and it just went away from me. I’m really pissed off as I think we were in really good shape this morning, but we just need to take it on the chin and see what we can do in the race.”
Alonso was definately extremely excitited... that is, until Michael said the word "stratagy"

should be a good race tomarrow
Old 05-14-2006, 08:59 AM   #12
Ghostbat
Regular User

Man this is so boring. Seems like the part of overtaking only occures in F1 during lapping..
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #13
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Alonso is a bitch!

He can go down on all of Spain today, blow their brains out!
Old 05-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #14
bmagni
Regular User

The only thing that could happen is Alonso running out of fuel... which would be very funny
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #15
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Shoulda never woke up for this shit....considering I havent had one normal night of sleep this week.