Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 01-15-2004, 01:43 AM   #76
mrzonda
Regular User

No no, that's not how it works at all. If I remember, John 3:16 says:

"For God so loved the world that he sent his only Son, that whoever believes in him, may have eternal life."

I think someone has mentioned this before, that "man is not justified by faith alone, but by deeds." There's the faith part, and there's the deeds part. Gotta have both. Those guys had the faith part, albeit a messed up version, but they screwed up by royally on the deeds part.

Just a counter example, think of the people who actually crashed the planes into the world trade center buildings, didn't someone say that that was in the name of God? I think the two examples are very similar. Now, I'm not saying that it's ok to do something horrible and say 'it's in the name of God' so its ok. It isn't, unfortunately, some people who aren't all there think it is.
mrzonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:40 AM   #77
mrzonda
Regular User

I don't think it's that simple, but it's true. God is infinitely forgiving. But who knows when you're going to die? Today, tomorrow, who knows, right?
Old 01-15-2004, 12:39 PM   #78
godspeed06
Regular User

some christians do belief in justification by faith alone. ever heard of the protestants... martin luther and so on.
Look what the spanish conquistador did in south america to the indians, there they had to fall back to macu pihcu, the only city they didnt find and it was lost and forgotten for hundred of years.
This was to get them to belive in the "right" God. In Africa there was the same in the early days of the exploration of the continent.
damn white man's burden. don't forget the spanish inquisition, the witch hunts, the fact that the Roman Catholic Church was an empire within itself. it had an emperor (the pope) and an army :shock: . yea, thats right, the damn church had its own fucking army. and do you want to know why it wanted to spread christianity? because they wanted to save souls :roll: ? no, if they spread christianity then the area that they "conquered" would then have to pay taxes to the church and recognize it as the ruler. the church gained money and power which is exactly what an empire needs. the rise of absolutist monarchies finally tried to put an end to it by confiscating church lands and granting religious tolerance. its not quite this simple obviously but im not going to write a damn book here.
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:18 PM   #79
mrzonda
Regular User

Sorry, I should've mentioned that Lutherans believed in justification alone, but Catholics do not.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:59 AM   #80
FerrariKiller
Regular User

i do
know why?
fluffernutter

long live the moose
FerrariKiller is offline   Reply With Quote