Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 05-13-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
gangajas
Regular User

Default Rolex Series

After NASCAR I've discovered the Rolex Series, and I think is a great competition. What do you think about it?

I 've watched the classification and it's interesting to see that BMW, that always win a lot of that ridiculous Best Engine Awards it's the last by a huge margin
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
GT-R_R34
Regular User

i have mix feeling about. if it wasn't for Daytona Prototypes (DP) it would be a better race. GT and ST would make a better race.
i think Rolex series is trying to hard to be like ALMS.
GT-R_R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
DeMoN
Regular User

^ at least they dont go round and round. I went to see one, and yeah it was kinda fun. Cars arent as good as AMLM but it was fun to watch.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
666fast
Regular User

Nuetered sportscars, no thanks.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
Nuetered sportscars, no thanks.
The cars have too many restrictions?
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:24 AM   #6
666fast
Regular User

Things have changed a little, as the DP cars are now considerably faster than say, 2 years ago. Still no anywhere near as fast as what you would see in ALMS, LMES, or FIA GT.
They had to put all kinds of restrictions on the GT cars because they were faster than the DP cars. Imagine a GT car beating a prototype, it shouldn't happen! LOL

Grand Am is nothing more than Nascar GT. The DP's are just stockcars that look different IMO. The onyl reason it gets the attention it does is because of the Rolex 24 hours, which is nothing like it used to be. They also stick all kinds of big Nascar names into Grand AM teams. Big names brings attention. Attention brings big sponsers. I've also read about Nascar requiring some sponsers to also sponser cars in Grand AM. No idea if this is true or not though.

Grand Am is pretty laughable when compared to ALMS, LeMans and the like. That isn't to say it doesn't have it's benefits. They have huge entry lists. Some races have 60 entrants! It's common practice for new up and comers to join Grand Am since it's cheap. Some of the bigger names in sportscar racing also race there. I couldn't find it, but there was an article where, I believe, it was OConnel who called it "practice". LOL

Some people like it, and I won't make fun of them for it, i's a free country. I however, don't like it. Not when you've got much a much higher caliber of drivers, cars and performance to watch instead.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
Nick6
Regular User

I can't stand DP's.
Nick6 is offline   Reply With Quote