Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 12-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Default Play the GRID demo and win the $90,000 Ford Mustang GT-R (ends May 25th)

I love Codemasters, they make such fun driving games. If you've ever played Colin McRae and TOCA/DTM Driver series, you know what I'm talking about.

I think this might be the first game to feature Milan as a circuit in a racing game... or any game for that matter.

GRID™ Is all about the race- that period from lights to flag; full of tension, pressure, noise, and action.

GRID will take players to beautifully realised and dramatic race locations over three continents to compete in an unprecedented variety of racing events. Packed with the most powerful race cars – new and classic, circuit and drift – players will compete to conquer the most prestigious official race tracks and championships and then go beyond to compete in challenging city-based competitions, through to road events and urban street races.

In Europe, race gamers will compete on the greatest official tracks in prestige Marques including Aston Martin, Koenigsegg and Pagani. Iconic cities across the U.S. – including San Francisco, Washington DC and Detroit and each with their own atmosphere and events – play hosts to diverse street races. Here, high-performance V8 muscle cars set the pace in aggressive closely fought pack competitions.

In the Far East, Japanese racing culture sets the tone where night races, including Drift racing, take drivers through neon illuminated cities and to outlying mountain roads. There is also the opportunity to compete in races that operate on the fringes of legality in the back streets and industrial areas of Yokohama.

GRID is coming mid 2008 for the Xbox®360, PLAYSTATION®3 system and Games for Windows®.

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 05-08-2008 at 08:08 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
ViperASR
Regular User

I might look into that if it has some race tracks on it (not street circuits)

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
acmarttin
Regular User

Mmmm.... I'll be busy playing GTA4.

But at least I'll have time to find out if it's good or not
Old 12-05-2007, 02:23 AM   #4
5vz-fe
Regular User

With Forza 2 and GT5P, I really don't think there's much room for this game unless it has something special (but from the looks of it, nada)
Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
blue8
Regular User

I hope it's similar to Forza 2 / GT5 P or even PGR4 but for the PC. There aren't any realistic racing games for the PC that I know of. Looks nice!

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

As long as it feels like TOCA Race Driver series, you'll have more fun than GT5...maybe. I thought driving physics for TOCA 2 was so much more fun than GT4 without being ridiculous. I just hope that they don't have the career mode as the only mode like TOCA, though.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by blue8 View Post
I hope it's similar to Forza 2 / GT5 P or even PGR4 but for the PC.
This statement,

Originally Posted by blue8 View Post
There aren't any realistic racing games for the PC that I know of. Looks nice!
...cannot logically preced this statement.

Forza2/PGR4 and even GT5 are no where near as "realistic" as the realistic PC sims. They may "look better' (subjectively)a and they may "play simpler and funner" - bu tthey ar enot more realistic

...and the modern NFS PC titles do not qualify as "almost realistic"..

The realistic titles are the legendary GP Legends (and derivatives), GTR (and derivatives) and rFucke.. I mean rFactor (and derivatives) etc etc.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
The realistic titles are the legendary GP Legends (and derivatives), GTR (and derivatives) and rFucke.. I mean rFactor (and derivatives) etc etc.
Yup. And I can't say that I've ever had "fun" playing those games. They're cool and all, but can get really frustrating. NFS series is a joke, and the rest are still not realistic.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Trailer. They don't say much about the actual product, but still looks good.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30610.html
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
xbeakerx
Regular User

awesome looking game...
xbeakerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
enzoferrari
Regular User

I'll try this out on my PC,thats 4 sure,It looks awesome,and it has the cars that I like.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
79TA
Regular User

Grid is supposed to use the same engine as Dirt so it should be pretty realistic.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #13
toffytofik
Regular User

Excuse me, but if we talk about realistic games:

- all that Codemasters develops (CMR, Toca) is in fact... crap. (read: arcadish).
- all the "realistic" games from PS (GT4/5, Forza) are in fact... crap (read: arcadish).
- all of the ISI and SimBin developed simulators (GPL, GTR/GTR2, Race WTCC/Race 2007, rTractor) are realistic but their physics aren't any good.

The only realistic racing simulator with great physics and tire model is on PC and that is Live For Speed. I'm surprised no one knows about it.
netKar Pro (PC) is another sim featuring good physics and tire model, but the development is on halt.
Richard Burns Rally (PC) has decent physics and by far the only real rally simulator available on the market.

Last edited by toffytofik; 02-20-2008 at 07:06 AM.
toffytofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #14
Sapetoku
Regular User

Originally Posted by toffytofik View Post
Excuse me, but if we talk about realistic games:

- all that Codemasters develops (CMR, Toca) is in fact... crap. (read: arcadish).
- all the "realistic" games from PS (GT4/5, Forza) are in fact... crap (read: arcadish).
- all of the ISI and SimBin developed simulators (GPL, GTR/GTR2, Race WTCC/Race 2007, rTractor) are realistic but their physics aren't any good.

The only realistic racing simulator with great physics and tire model is on PC and that is Live For Speed. I'm surprised no one knows about it.
netKar Pro (PC) is another sim featuring good physics and tire model, but the development is on halt.
Richard Burns Rally (PC) has decent physics and by far the only real rally simulator available on the market.
Live for Speed is indeed very very good! I'm having a hard time looking at the GT/Forza series as realistic, they're fun on a PSx or XBOX but that's it, nowhere near as good as LFS. If you have a good steering wheel, preferably with three pedal set and two spare joysticks (one for e-brake and one - preferably a vibrating one - to change gears) Live for Speed is the ultimate driving game, although Richard Burns Rally is very good as well, just another format. Another good rally game is Rally Trophy, it's abit old but still very good!
rFactor is good as well, only downside is the desperate need for add-ons if you really want to enjoy this game.
And BTW comparing PS1/2/3 or XBOX games - as I just did - to PC driving games is quite difficult and may even be pointless

This being said, I can't wait to play this GRID game, it does look fantastic!
Sapetoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #15
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Live for Speed eh? Well. It might sound shallow, but I like games with real life cars in them. GRID is obviously not trying to be realistic as a racing sim, but Codemasters stuff are pretty realistic-ish for an arcady game. In fact, it's probably more fun than a sim. Racing sims are awesome, but they can be very tiring (I don't think I can play any of the SimBin stuff for more than a week). I remember in Colin McRae games where you can just do insane lurid slides on dirt around corners just for fun, not realistic, but fun. I dunno. It's just me. Besides, it'll be worlds better than anything EA can cook up.

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 02-20-2008 at 01:40 PM.